Free Online Instructional Videos for Job and Career exploration

Career Pathways Colleagues,

There's a new web page on the Literacy list with links to free online instructional videos for adult learners. It has links to web pages with hundreds of short, free online jobs and careers exploration videos.

Take a quick look at  http://markup.io/v/zjcb73qs7akk

David J. Rosen

djrosen123@gmail.com

Comments

David has provided us with a treasure trove of useful information here, but it takes some work to find it using his instructions.  I think he would like for you to go through the steps he has given to become familiar with what all is on his site in addition to the Career Pathways resources, and you should do that if you have interests in addition to Career Pathways.  In case you don't have the patience and fortitude to do that but would like to get right to the "good stuff" (read "Career Pathways resources") try going to http://home.comcast.net/~djrosen/newsome/litlist/Videos.html and scrolling down to the last group of resources on that page. The header is "Career Pathways Instructional Videos".   You will be richly rewarded!

Thanks, Donna.

My main objective was to alert people to the new Career Pathways Instructional Videos. You're right that I also wanted everyone to see what other good resources are available on the Literacy List, and I wanted to try out a new technology gizmo called "markup" that allows one to write on a web page (circle text, add comments, etc.) and then send the marked up web page as a link. I thought some on this list might find that (free) gizmo of use in their own work.

However, for those who want to get right to Career Pathways Resources, yes, go to http://home.comcast.net/~djrosen/newsome/litlist/Videos.html  and scroll about 3/4 of the way down the page. 

I would love to hear what you think of these resources and, better still, how you (plan to) use them. Also, if you know of other career pathways or workforce development online videos that you think I should consider adding to this page, please let me know about them.

David J. Rosen

djrosen123@gmail.com

<p><span style='color: rgb(31, 31, 31); font-family: "Arial","sans-serif"; font-size: 10pt; mso-ansi-language: EN;' lang="EN">Good stuff. Now the challenge is to build a research based <strong><span style='font-family: "Arial","sans-serif";'>adult career pathway</span></strong> exploration system with integrated videos. Our current system(s) are too disjointed and difficult to navigate. I am curious as to what adult ed and CTE professionals think it should look like?<?xml:namespace prefix = o /><o:p></o:p></span></p>

Hello Robin and others,

I have been working on an "adult career pathway" education design for an adult learner support system called Learner Web . http://learnerweb.org  Learner Web is available in all or parts of 12 states, and the District of Columbia. It has some curricula (“Learning Plans” as we call them) that address adult basic education and ELL career pathways education needs for adult learners who may not have thought about careers, post-secondary education,  or advanced job training, and who do not know about their career pathways opportunities. We hope to develop more of these Learning Plans.

Here’s a top level topic outline of my thinking about this design:

1.     Learn about career pathways

2.     Explore new careers

3.     Choose a new industry or career

4.     Train for a new career

5.     Get a job now

6.     Improve your English skills for work now

7.     Improve your math skills for work now

8.     Prepare for post-secondary education or training

I wonder if you or others think something else needs to be included.

If anyone is interested I could also describe some of these categories in more detail. Let me know.

David J. Rosen

Djrosen123@gmail.com

Hi David,

My interest would be in the 'choose a new career' content. I have found that many career exploration sites rely heavily on interest inventories and less on abilities, aptitudes and values. Interests often change and are heavily subject to internal and external social pressures. This may cause career choices to feel wrong when confronted with the changing life of an adult learner. Understanding your own strengths, aptitudes and values, creates a solid foundation for career choice. Career choice models that use all inventories and discuss job titles based on pathways leading to and from those choices may help in increasing retention and completion of training.

The creation of videos based on pathways including demonstrating the consistent attributes of jobs in the pathway would help adults see how their own abilities, aptitudes and values fit into training and career choice.

What's in your choose a new career content?

Hello Robin, and others,

Robin asked: "What's in your choose a new career content?"

Learner Web has a Learning Plan (an individually-paced curriculum) focused on Career Awareness. It includes these main steps:

1. Know your goals and values
  2. Know yourself and your skills
  3. Know your career options, and
  4. Know your training needs

It could lead to a career choice Learning Plan, which has not yet been developed. Here’s my thinking at this point.

The career choice decision should be based on:

• The results from the Career Awareness Learning Plan, contained in a learner’s workspace (an online portfolio): goals, values, skills, interests, needs
  • A thorough understanding of the training costs, how long it might take to re-pay loans, how long it might take to see a return on one’s training investment
  • The best local (and national?) information on the work opportunities in this industry
  • A plan for management of training in a career while working in a job now for needed short-term income
  • An opportunity to test out a (tentative) career decision through looking at relevant career videos, further reading (for example in O*NET),  networking with friends and family and their connections who may work in this industry, informational interviewing, and ideally a paid or non-paid work internship.

I have identified five industries/careers for which Learner Web already has Learning Plans or where I would like to see them developed:

• Health care
  • Manufacturing
  • Early childhood education
  • Office work
  • Green energy

We are certainly open to developing Learning Plans in other industries or clusters but would need funding to support that curriculum development.

I wonder what you and/or others think about the ideas for the Career Choice Learning Plan.

David J. Rosen

Djrosen123@gmail.com

I just received e-mails concerning our current topic. The links below are from the college board/pell grant and the Hamilton Project. Both discuss the significant importance of independent, accurate career advisement. I think you may find them interesting in light of our discussion. I am interested in knowing what evaluations your Career Choice Learning Plan are based on.

http://media.collegeboard.com/digitalServices/pdf/advocacy/policycenter/advocacy-rethinking-pell-grants-one-pager.pdf

http://www.hamiltonproject.org/papers/using_data_to_improve_the_performance_of_workforce_training/

What do others think of the information in the papers?

Hi David,