Instructional Design Objectives and Online Tools to Help Accomplish Them

Colleagues,

This is a new feature of the Technology and Learning CoP, a permanent ("sticky post") thread where members of the Technology and Learning CoP, and other CoPs, can post an instructional or program design objective and ask for help in identifying online or other digital tools that have potential for addressing that objective.

Here are some examples of instructional and program objectives for which there may be good technology solutions, online tools to:

• Save and organize promising online tools
  • Add or improve a program or class online learning presence (a website, online storage site, shell program etc.)
  • Automate reminders to students
  • Use online formative assessment tools as a teacher to learn, and help students learn, what they know before and after a lesson
  • Experiment with or improve a flipped learning model by finding and/or creating video presentations that students watch before class and using class time for one-on-one or small group assistance or for project-based learning or other engaging activities
  • Share computer screens in real time with distance learning or blended learning students

Post your instructional or program design objective or goal here and ask for help in identifying online tools. There are plenty of experts here that can help.

David J. Rosen

Technology and Learning CoP Moderator

djrosen123@gmail.com

Comments

Thanks for sharing,

I've downloaded the app and created a classroom. I'll start playing around, but it appears that it should be easily adaptable for our teachers. Appears to be a simple, easy to use  online portfolio. 

Best,

Deb Hargrove

TRAIN PD @TCALL

I've been using Seesaw with my adult ESL class for the past 2 semesters. It has been one of the easiest apps for my students to learn. To use on smartphones, the app has to be downloaded. Students can post their activities and I can check/grade them on my own time which is great for speaking activities. Seesaw was originally designed to be an e-portfolio of students' best work but they just rolled out an "activities" option for web and iOS where teachers can post an activity for students to do and the teacher can see all the students' posts under it in one screen, working more towards being a simplified learning management system. (The Android app is in the works with no set launch date yet.) There is a collection of activities organized by grade level to select from as well. And their free PD in your PJ's is great.

Jacqueline Vulcano
@edtech4adultesl
https://www.facebook.com/groups/techtools4adultells/ 

David and others,

We're slowly building our online AEL PD Portal and experimenting with different tools to keep our teachers engaged. We love video as pre-work, but other than being able to see that they opened the video, we couldn't really confirm they gleaned the content. I discovered a tool that let's you add questions to segments throughout. It's called Zaption, and it is the COOLEST thing since Web 2.0!

You can find it at: www.zaption.com

Check it out!

Best,

Deb Hargrove

TRAIN PD @TCALL

I was under the impression that Zaption closed down in 2016 as the link mentioned. It was the best one at the time.

Other options are EDpuzzle and PlayPosit ("play-pause it"). Here's a blog post comparing the two: http://aleverandaplacetostand.blogspot.com/2017/10/edpuzzle-or-playposit-which-should-i-use.html

iSLCollective also has interactive videos now: https://en.islcollective.com/video-lessons/

Jacqueline Vulcano
@edtech4adultesl
https://www.facebook.com/groups/techtools4adultells/ 

I MISS Zaption!!!! I use edpuzzle pretty regularly though. It's super easy and FREE! I just wish they would add more features like Zaption. I tried out Playposit, but as I recall it was a bit costly for our budget. If I was going to pay for one, however, I would use Playposit because I like that you can link videos like you could with Zaption. I miss the students being able to interact from their desk as we watched the Zaption videos together. I think I am still in mourning.