Drop-In Center Update

Some of you may remember the discussion about Drop-In Centers we had about 6 months ago. Well since that time I have worked on developing my own drop-in center at a small library near where I live. I teach adult ESL using my pumarosa program and the classes have proven to be successful enough so that now I am about to write grant proposals to fund an extension and expansion of the program. I expect to be able to add classes on computer basics, first language literacy, citizenship, GED, a Computers For Families Program, etc.

The classes grew from 5 people twice a day one day a week to two classes two days a week, with more than 20 at this time, most of them working women with children.

The students have all studied the basics of English using my texts, DVDs, CDs, websites and the Smart Phone.

About 5 do not have computers at home, so starting next week I am going to go with them to buy used computers at a second-hand store.

At the same time I will be making presentations at the Spanish language PTA meetings to promote my course and recruit students to the class. Maybe I will be able to teach in the schools.

And I am affiliated with a Community Center that is interested in starting up classes.

The concept of the Drop-In Center takes into account the realities of working adults. Actually many classes at Community Colleges offer Open Enrollment, which is based on the same premise.

The idea is that with the internet, texts, audio-visual material, etc..students can study at home or at a class, making it more convenient for them.

At the same time my classes are bilingual and less structured so that they can relax a bit. I also tell good jokes.

I would like to add a Mobile Classroom, equipped with computers, that could travel around the county.

In any case, I see this type of approach as a method to provide various kinds of classes to adults in the area, especially low-income working people, many of whom are immigrants.

I believe it is the only way to “Bridge The Digital Divide”, a problem that is at least 15 years old.

Paul Rogers

Comments

Thanks to your earlier posts I was motivated to submit a grant proposal to our Library Foundation and was awarded a grant to do a "Learn on the Go" program for adults unable to commit to our weekly face-to-face classes due to works schedules or family obligations.  The grant funds allow me to purchase licenses for an online learning platform that allows us to monitor student progress remotely.  The goal is to have periodic face-to-face "check in's" to keep students motivated and on track.  We'll be rolling it out to 300 users between now and the end of June.  Thanks for the inspiration!

Thanks for this, Lori!!! I am glad to have been of service. 300! Wow!!! Yes it is possible to reach out to thousands of people in this way. Please tell us more, where you are located, etc.If you  students are beginning Spanish speakers, please show them Pumarosa.com,  it can help a lot.