Group Member Seeking Advice

Hi group members,

One of our members is asking for advice/suggestions.  I am posting her specific question below at her request.  Please respond if you can and she will greatly appreciate your help.  

"I am currently diagnosed with Clinical Depression & anxiety. I am 43 years old and have not been able to hold a job, I believe that I also have a learning disability and ADD. I have problems with memory, concentration, academics. I am on disbility income and outside of trying to support myself, it is hard for me to afford the co pays assciated with a therapist. Can you refer me to a community resource that would provide free testing or low cost testing, so I can improve my life and finally have one."

This member lives in Richmond, Virginia.  With 1,902 Disability group members, I am hoping that we have some who live in or near Richmond who will give her local information.

Thanks so much,

Rochelle Kenyon, Subject Matter Expert

Comments

George Mason University which is about 90 minutes from Richmond, VA has a clinic that does testing. There is a waiting list, but the fee is very reasonable. The testing is done by graduate students in clinical psychology and is supervised by certified examiners. All the information is on the website: http://psycclinic.gmu.edu/. The phone number is 703-993-1370.

My question is to what end does she feel that getted tested would help her.  If she needs testing accommodations on the GED, then it is true that diagnostic testing is needed.  However, if she is on disability, I wonder if there is documentation through SSA that might aid her in getting accommodations.  If she is hoping to attend college and get accommodations, again, the disability documentation that qualified her for disability might be sufficient.  I am always cautious with my students when advising diagnostic testing.  While it may provide opportunity for self awareness and qualifying for accommodations, it also may perpetuate a negative self image and low self esteem, if the results aren't explained in a positive, easy to understand way. 

The Rehabilitation Services Agency  in Richmond may be able to help. The purpose of that agency is to help people with disabilities find and keep jobs.  If you haven't tried them yet, here's their contact information:

Virginia Department of Rehabilitation Services
8004 Franklin Farms Drive
Richmond, VA 23229
Phone: (804) 662-7000
Toll-Free: (800) 552-5019
Toll-Free Restrictions: VA residents only
Fax: (804) 662-7644
TTY: (804) 662-9040
Email: Barbara.Tyson@drs.virginia.gov or Jim.Rothrock@drs.virginia.gov

I would agree with the previous posts recommending both the University center and Vocational Rehabilitation. My experience is that combining those two types of services often works well. You may have had some experience with VR in the past and be familiar with how they work. Traditionally, they are well organized and helpful with expenses involved in training and education but not longer term medical and psychological treatment. Although VR may have professional s skilled in diagnostics, particularly in learning issues, college centers may have more time and resources available for your situation.  Whenever you are creating your own “team” of supports from different institutions, it always pays to take the time and make sure everyone can and does communicate with each other including anyone who is prescribing current treatments.  I have seen a direct correlation between good ongoing counseling supports and long term educational success. On a personal note, this kind of change is exciting! It is a choice of courage! Good luck!