Microlearning for Macro Results

Not wanting to add another term to conquer, I still found the article below intriguing. Why not offer instruction in bite-sized pieces?  According to the article, microlearning doesn't involve microplanning. As Blaise Pascal famously said "I would have written a shorter letter, but I did not have the time". Microplanning can be time consuming but it is time well spent if done carefully.

9 Ways For Mastering Microlearning, by Juliette Denny, November 7, 2017: 'You want your training to have an epic impact, but that doesn't mean it has to be colossal in size! Read on and find out how to keep your training short and sweet!"

In applying microlearning...
  1. Would learning become less threatening and appeal to more students, including those with some learning disabilities?
  2. Could more busy and overwhelmed teachers be more willing to complete professional development? 
  3. What would microlearning look like in teaching writing?
  4. Could quality microlearning engage more instructors in professional development and more students in the classroom?
  5. Are there technologies that invite and support the approach?
Maybe you already implement this approach and are willing to share your process with us. What other questions come up for you? Any ideas? 

Leecy

Comments

Friends, 
Micro-learning is rapidly becoming a new topic in education. I invite you to review the links from this discussion. Let's think about how this can befit our learners. Additionally, we moved from that conversation to a topic on micro learning and micro credentials here

Leecy, I think your questions are on target. I am much wmore willing to complete a training if it builds on an exisitng skill and I can complete it in a shorter period of time. It certainly has a place in our hectic and overpacked society. I wonder, though - is micro learning a way to introduce new topics or to enhance existing skills? If you were to design a training using micro-learning principle, how would you desing it? Do you think there is room for this to be used with students? 

I'l love to hear your thoughts. 
Kathy Tracey

Hi Leecy, 

I was reading a book (When Grit Isn't Enough) and I came across a large section discussing micro learning / credentials with College For America.  This concept of micro learning appears to be how they set up their entire program. Since this fits right in with your discussion, I thought I would see if anyone has experience with College for America and adult learners? 

I'd love to hear your thoughts. 

Sincerely,

Kathy

Thank you, Kathy. I appreciate the link to another great discussion that took place prior to this one! Since others have not responded here so far, I wonder if this is a new concept for many. 

Would those reading this comment like to know more about this process? Let us know! We don't have to follow the definitions given for this process.

What do you think would work to engage both teachers in PD and students through small chunks of instruction targeting workplace training that integrates academic skills? 

We know that when working with so-called "learning-disabled" (specifically abled, in my terms) students, small chunks of instruction that are predictable and repeated represent best practices. Is that not true of everyone? 

Do you, as an instructor, support micro learning? What would that look like for you when it comes to professional development? What would that look like when implementing micro learning among ABE students? Let's talk more about this intriguing topic! Leecy