Latent Learning

Latent learning is defined as “learning which is not apparent in the learner's behavior at the time of learning, but which manifests later when a suitable motivation and circumstances appear.” (1)

In my case, when I struggle with something to do with the computer or technology, I cannot seem to “get it” at first, but usually when I try again the next day, Voila! - I get it! Usually.

I think the brain keeps working on unsolved problems and figures them out without our knowing about it!!!

So. applying this concept to my class, I no longer worry whether a student understands a lesson completely right away. For one thing, I repeat certain lessons often, plus, I know now that the students are actually learning anyway.

It happens a lot, and the best example I can give is a story of one of my first students, Sergio:

-In 1992, I started classes in a library in Rosarito, Mexico, just south of Tijuana. I simply asked the director if I could start classes, and she gave me the key to a room located at the annex behind the library. I then put up flyers all over the area, in the library, stores, on lampposts…everywhere.

I wrote some texts and made audio-cassettes for the students. Then I went to the first class and waited, until 5 people showed up.

Sergio Hernandez was the first one there. For about one year he came to every class even if it was raining.

Sergio was a construction worker and was about 35 years old at the time. He was a quiet man and always had a smile.

BUT he was a little shy about participating in class. Often he seemed to be confused about the lessons. I worried about him, and hoped he was learning, but I was not sure.

Actually some days I felt guilty and did not want to take his payment, which was $1 US per class. Anyway, eventually I left Rosarito and said my Goodbyes to everybody.

Then in 2002 I began to sell my books and audio-cassettes at swap meets (tianguis or pulgas) in Southern California. I drove to about 10 different swap meets every month. One day in Los Angeles I was selling at a large swap meet, and whom do you think I saw? That’s right! Sergio!!!!!!!!!!!!

-Hey, Sergio – I yelled – How are you? Do you remember me!?

- Profe Pablo!!!!!!!!! How are you? It is good to see you!!

And we talked – in English – for about 30 minutes.

He told he came to LA to work and was painting houses.

I said – You speak English very well - did you take classes?

He replied – I took some, but you taught me the most! I still have your books.

Oh, good, I said, I am very glad I could help you!

We chatted a little more and then he had to leave. I was very glad to have seen Sergio after almost 10 years.

On Facebook and WhatsApp I often chat with students from all over the world, and I tell everyone Sergio’s story, because they all start learning English with the same doubts and frustrations (2),

1. Tolman:https://www.simplypsychology.org/tolman.html

2. from Lecturas, Learning English, inglesconprofepablo.com

Comments