Where Women in the Workplace are Coming from in 2018

Women in the Workplace 2017 is a comprehensive study of the state of women at all levels of corporate America. This research is part of a long-term partnership between LeanIn.Org and McKinsey & Company to give organizations the information they need to promote women’s leadership and foster gender equality.

This year 222 companies employing more than 12 million people shared their pipeline data and completed a survey of HR practices. In addition, more than 70,000 employees completed a survey designed to explore their experiences regarding gender, opportunity, career, and work-life issues. 

The report includes six actions companies can take to level the playing field, and actions that are more common in top-performing companies. It is also critical that companies address the distinct barriers women of color face and get sufficient buy-in from men.

Do these six actions go far enough to support equity for women entering and advancing in career pathways?  What's been your experience?

1. Make a compelling case for gender diversity

2. Invest in more employee training

3. Give managers the means to drive change

4. Ensure that hiring, promotions, and reviews are fair

5. Give employees the flexibility to fit work into their lives

6. Focus on accountability and results

Mike Cruse

Career Pathways Moderator

michaelcruse74@gmail.com

Comments

Thanks for sharing this important topic. These actions are a start to an equitable workplace. In a similar discussion thread, the following questions were posed.

• What challenges are you facing in the workplace, and in the home / work balance?
  • How are you moving forward in your career and what resources have helped you get there?
  • How can our LINCS communities create a 'circle of support'. 

So, I'll start with a few of my 'challenges'. I fall into the sandwich generation, caring for aging parents and rasing children. Although my children are grown (we could someday discuss the difficulties of parenting adult children) the years of balancing a family at home put my career on hold. At 51 years of age, I am finally finishing my Ed.D. As for the circle of support, I am finding the discussions give me time to network, pose ideas and questions, and build professional relationships. (My own circle of support.) 

We would love to learn  more about your experiences and ideas about being a woman in today's workforce. 

Sincerely, 
Kathy Tracey