You are invited to join a zoom Discussion: Grit, Mindset, and More: February 15 6:00 - 6:30 PM CST

Friends, 

Recently, we had a discussion on Grit and Soft Skills, Previous discussions also include Growth Mindset for Educators , and even this discussion. It seems this topic holds a great deal of interest. In multiple discussions, we've talked about anxiety in learning and David Rosen shared this wonderful podcast

Considering the depth of the topic and the interest, I thought we would like to get together to discuss the intersections of grit and growth mindset, and maybe even discuss some of the challenges to these ideas. Check out Linda Nathan's concerns about the applicability of these philosophies. 

So, check out some of these prior discussions, view the resources shared, and join a casual discussion about these topics on Zoom. 

How: Simply select this link https://zoom.us/j/953119703​ 

When: February 15th at and chime in! 

We look forward to seeing you and learning together. 

Sincerely, 
Kathy 
@Kathy_Tracey

Comments

Friends, 

I hope you will join our first zoom pop up meeting. (and be patient with me as it is the first time I am trying this new avenue. My goal is to try an additional method to build engagement and provide educators time to 'meet' and discuss trends in education.)

As we prepare for our meeting, I had a few thoughts about growth mindset, grit, and resiliency.

• Growth Mindset is a huge topic with tremendous potential, but arent' we working on one of the most rigid, 'fixed mindsets' possible?
  • Does our linear educational system prohibit a true growth mindset? And does a fixed mindset ever have it's advantages? 
  • Are we using terms like growth mindset to place responsibility of learning on the student rather than evaluating the curriculuar choices we use? 
  • Is it possible to focus on growth mindsets when our goal is to move students through some high stakes testing (a norm referenced exam) and being held accountable to a pass rate as opposed to the personal, social, artistic, and/or mental growth shown by a student? 

There are no easy answers to these questions. I'm hoping (all technology working well) we can discuss all things grit, resiliency, and mindsets on Thursday night. 

I hope to see you there. 
Kathy 

I"ve got a meeting across town so ... I have to leave work 6:00 promptly tonight... a few thoughts: 

Of course a fixed mindset has "advantages."  I'm thinking of the novel "The Giver," in which everybody's career was determined by a committee.... made sorting pretty easy.    It can also be a way of focusing on strengths instead of weaknesses... if I decide I'm never going to be organized, then I make sure I put myself in situations where my creativity can be the biggest asset.   

Growth mindset IMHO is *especially* important for "high stakes" tests.    I honestly don't know if it's possible to change a person's perspective ("I'm lousy at these ... this question makes no sense, of course because I can't do this... guess and move on"  vs.   "Of course the question looks impossible, they always do... what *do* I know? I might as well give it an honest whirl...")

We definitely can use the term growth mindset in a fixed mindset way:   "you're not doing well because you have a fixed mindset."   Yup, the definition of a fixed mindset in the statement.   

A growth mindset can be applied to anything, including a linear education system.   I'm determined with my growing mind to transcend its single dimensional aspects and create my own 3-D understanding...