Nick Foles Speaks about Failure

Hello colleagues, I live near Philadelphia, and today the city is celebrating the Eagles big Super Bowl win. Eagles quarterback Nick Foles, the MVP and hero of the game, is quickly becoming a folk hero. You may have seen the video of Foles recorded after the game in which he speaks about the value of failure in one's success. It's almost as if we can't have one without the other!

Foles' comments gave high school teacher Larry Ferlazzo a great idea for a writing activity. He showed students the video of Foles' interview and then had them write a response using the following prompt:

• What does Nick Foles say about failure? What does he say about comparing yourself to others? To what extent do you agree with what he is saying? To support your opinion, be sure to include specific examples drawn from your own experience, your observations of others, or any of your readings.

I think this is such a great activity since it builds on many students' interest in sports, plus addresses a critical concept about human learning. It would be great to hear from those who adapt this lesson in their context. I  would love to hear how students responded!

Cheers, Susan Finn Miller

Moderator, Teaching & Learning CoP

Comments

Friends, 
I invite you to review a discussion of how we may be afraid to let students fail and carry on the conversation on this thread. Susan, I think your questions are at the heart of building student resiliency. We often talk about toxic stress, but there is a such thing as positive and tolerable stress. Teachers can be the buffer to help students understand that learning is hard, and that failure is sometimes a part of of the process - and eventually, it is possible to move toward success. As you review Nick Foles interview, I also suggest this TED Talk: How To Make Stress Your Friend. 

I love the opportunity for students self reflect on the questions you pose and I'm looking forward to using these ideas in my classroom. 

Sincerely,
Kathy
@Kathy_Tracey