Teaching Students From Gen Z/multigeneration classes

Hi, I'm the freelance editor of Notebook, a newsletter published three times a year by ProLiteracy for adult educators. I'm working on a story about tips to teaching Generation Z, and I was wondering what adult ed instructors do to make their teaching more effective for Gen Z students. However, feel free to share your ideas for any multigenerational class setting. This doesn't have to be limited to ESOL classes; it could also be high school prep or basic literacy.

You're welcome to post a message to LINCS or email me directly at caceresvanessa@yahoo.com. I'm looking for information this week.

Thanks,

Vanessa

Comments

Hello Vanessa, Thank you for posting this question about Gen Z and multi-generational classes. Could you tell us who qualifies as Gen Z?

Cheers, Susan Finn Miller

Moderator, English Language Acquisition CoP

Hi Susan, good point! Generally speaking, Gen Z refers to students born between 1995 and 2009. The older ones among Gen Z are now beginning to enter adult ed classes, hence our idea for a story on good teaching techniques for them that may (or may not) be different from other generations.

Thanks,

Vanessa

Thanks for the clarification, Vanessa. I can speak for myself. I have students ranging from 18 to 70+ in my current class, and this is not at all unusual. One thing to note, which is no surprise, is that the younger students tend to be savvier with technology -- though this varies, of course, depending on their previous experiences with technology. We use a lot of technology in the classroom, and we encourage all students to engage with technology outside of class to improve their English. Younger students usually have more time to devote to studying outside of class.

Young people usually enjoy interacting with others close to their age, so I take this into account when deciding on partners and small groups. But they are usually fine working with older students, too. The older students enjoy having young people in the class. Younger students tend to like activities that are active, i.e., getting up out of their seats, but I've found that older learners enjoy being active, too.

The goals for older and younger students can vary. Often younger students are often interested in going to college or trade school, while older students may want to get promoted at work or find a better job with more money and improved benefits. I've always thought that designing classes around learners' specific goals would be an improvement. I'd like to hear from programs that are doing that.

What are your thoughts about this, Vanessa?

Cheers, Susan Finn Miller

Moderator, English Language Acquisition