Best conceptions of curriculum with adult learners?

Hello everyone,

My name is Agnes, and I teach an adult ESL literacy class. I'm currently exploring the numerous conceptions of curriculum and wanted to learn which conceptions of curriculum other adult educators rely on.  In my planning, instruction, and assessment, I tend to primarily use the individual focus of conception.  However, I also rely on the society, technology, and academia conceptions of curriculum. Do you have a preferred conception of curriculum that you rely on? Why?

Looking forward to your replies!

Agnes

Comments

Hello Agnes, Thanks for this question. Would you be able to give us a concrete example of what you mean by individual, society, technology, and academia "conceptions of curriculum"? What would each look like in the adult ESL classroom?

Cheers, Susan Finn Miller

Moderator, English Language Acquisition

Hello Susan,

Each concept of curriculum is a different perspective on the purpose of education. Many different theorists have identified several variations of the concepts of curriculum.  However, Al Mousa (2013) summarized the main conceptions into four categories: individual, society, technology, and academia.

1. Individual - provides personal fulfillment. It provides personal meaning, personal growth, and self-actualization. 
2. Society - connects the area of study to the community. It provides an opportunity for social reconstruction. Being connected to the community and making a difference is important.
3.Technology -  allows for efficient learning.  Using technology makes lessons engaging, more accessible, can provide immediate feedback and it allows for an outcome curriculum.
4. Academia -  this the traditional test-driven accountability curriculum. 

For planning and instruction,  I tend to primarily use the individual conception of curriculum. .  I conduct a needs assessment with my students at the beginning of each term.  The students choose what themes and topics they would like to cover in the class. Based on the results of the needs assessment, I create modules and lesson plans that will help my students achieve their personal learning goals.  However, for assessment, I need touse standardized language benchmarks to assess my students' language level. Therefore, I usually use the academic conception of curriculum to develop assessments.  

I was wondering what other  adult ESL educators do.

Agnes

Hello Agnes and all, This is helpful. Thank you, Agnes, for clarifying the four conceptions of curriculum put forward by Al Mousa as well as telling us about your approach.

In my practice, I think I work on all four of these at different times. Paying attention to the needs of learners and designing instruction accordingly is primary. This focus also extends beyond the classroom to the community. For instance, we support learners to join with others to advocate for tenants' rights or to request better lighting in their neighborhood as well as to advocate with the school to support their children's language development in two languages. We also strive to extend learning through technology.  Since we use standardized tests in my program, there is also some attention to test preparation.

It will be interesting to hear from other members on this important question.

Cheers, Susan Finn Miller

Moderator, English Language Acquisition