CountDown to COABE

Hello, fellow mathletes and numeracy lovers,

COABE is approaching fast and I like to give Math and Numeracy Community Members the opportunity to let us know if there are going to COABE and if they will be presenting.  Then they can give the community a short brief about their presentation and the time and date.  I will start!

I am going to COABE.  I have the great honor to present at the Pre-Conference for the Adult Numeracy Network alongside many other amazing Math and Numeracy Pioneers!  The name of the Pre-Conference is:  The Adult Numeracy Network Presents: Put on Your Own Math Before Assisting Students. It will be on Sunday, March 25 starting at 8:30 a.m. until 3:30 p.m.

I am also presenting on March 28 at 1:45 p.m. - 3:00 p.m. in Room CC 103A.  The title is  Mathematical Freedom: Remove Rules and Conformity to Achieve Engagement and Freedom for Your  Students, and we will be looking at and doing activities that encourage mathematical thinking in a new and creative way to solve problems instead of the traditional performing of problems in an algorithm style way of thinking. You will walk away with lessons that you can take back to your classroom to help growth deeper math thinkers!

Now it is your turn  -  let us know if you are going, if you are presenting, or if you would like to meet up for a face-to-face chat!  I would love to meet more of the members of this community!

Brooke Istas
Moderator of the Math and Numeracy CoP

Comments

You know you want to spend the very end of your conference thinking deeply about equality visiting stations of activities!  Come at 3:15pm on Wednesday to CC 103A.

Session Description:  To many students, the equal sign means “put the answer here.”  Understanding equality is foundational for algebra.  Come explore strategies to help students build an understanding of things that are true about working with numbers (properties) and an understanding of the relationships on both sides of the equal sign.

Dear Heroes of Adult Numeracy and HSE Math!

I will be at COABE and would love to meet up with folks from this list! 

I'm doing a workshop with Eric Appleton on Monday called Sense-Making vs. Answer Getting in Our Math Classrooms (11:30-12:45) and another on Tuesday with Eric and Patricia Helmuth called, The NYSED Teacher Leader Project: Lessons Learned in Teacher Development (11-12:15). 

I'm also emceeing this year's ANN Under 10 talks, sponsored by the Adult Numeracy Network. On Monday night (March 26th), after the day's workshops, we'll take over Encanto A Room (in the Grand Sheraton Phoenix) from 5:30-6:30. Please come and bring your friends and colleagues!

This year's speakers are: 

• Donna Curry (MA) talking about a career of lessons learned
  • Jeniah Jones (FL) talking about mindful meditation in mathematics
  • Sarah Fearnow (AZ) talking about meeting the needs of individual students
  • Melissa Braaten (MA) talking about why reading math questions can be so hard

Check out 2017's talks and come prepared to be inspired! Even if you can't come, you follow along from home, using the Twitter hashtags #ANNunder10. And this year's talks will be added to the ANN website shortly after the conference. 

yours in productive struggle, 

Mark

Mark Trushkowsky

Math Professional Development Coordinator for the CUNY Adult Literacy and High School Equivalency Program

literacy.cuny.edu

CollectEdNY.edu

Hello,
I am also attending COABE, and am super excited about the ANN pre-conference and also the opportunity to connect up with members of this community!

I am co-presenting a session with Amy Vickers and Astrid Liden : "Deepening Practitioners’ Math Content Knowledge Through Collaborative Study Groups" -Session 3, Monday, March 26th 2:00pm-3:15pm, Room: CC 101C,  and also presenting a session on Wednesday,  "Building Coherence: Exploring Ways to Get a Math CCRS Level A/B Classroom Ready for Level D/E Work" - Session 10, Wednesday, March 28th 11:00am-12:15pm, Room: CC 103A.

See you in Phoenix!