COABE 2018

My name is Daphne and I am the PI of the Center for the Study of Adult Literacy (csal.gsu.edu). I would like you to invite you to learn more about our work at the COABE conference (https://www.coabe.org/conference-2018/ ) Please join us at the following sessions:

Findings from the Center for the Study of Adult Literacy

Monday, March 26th from 2:00pm-3:15pm in Alhambra room

Staff at the Center for the Study of Adult Literacy administered 37 related reading measures to 544 participants. A reading intervention was also developed and piloted. This session will provide preliminary findings of participants' performances on our assessment battery and their progress as a result of our intervention. You will leave this session with information about what skills are important and what strategies are necessary for students at the third to seventh grade level to learn, students' relative strengths and weaknesses, and examples of instructional strategies to take back to your own classroom.

Adding to Your Toolbox for Teaching Reading to Adult Learners

Wednesday, March 28th from 1:45pm-3:00pm in Maryvale B room

In this session, we will share tools for working with adults who may read at different levels and have different language backgrounds. We will discuss the common types of mistakes learners at these reading levels often make, as well as ways to teach them foundational decoding and comprehension skills. We will share online materials available to you for use in your classrooms for reading practice.

Comments

Hello all,

I am also attending COABE this year and I would love to attend sessions of members of this Community of Practice.  So, this is your opportunity to let everyone know if you are going or attending.  

I have the great honor to present at the Pre-Conference for the Adult Numeracy Network alongside many other amazing Math and Numeracy Pioneers!  The name of the Pre-Conference is:  The Adult Numeracy Network Presents: Put on Your Own Math Before Assisting Students. It will be on Sunday, March 25 starting at 8:30 a.m. until 3:30 p.m.

I am also presenting on March 28 at 1:45 p.m. - 3:00 p.m. in Room CC 103A.  The title is  Mathematical Freedom: Remove Rules and Conformity to Achieve Engagement and Freedom for Your  Students, and we will be looking at and doing activities that encourage mathematical thinking in a new and creative way to solve problems instead of the traditional performing of problems in an algorithm style way of thinking. You will walk away with lessons that you can take back to your classroom to help growth deeper math thinkers!

Now it is your turn  -  let us know if you are going, if you are presenting, or if you would like to meet up for a face-to-face chat!  I would love to meet more of the members of this community!

Brooke Istas
Moderator of the Correctional and Reentry Education CoP

Hello group,

Several of the XPRIZE semifinalist teams will be presenting together at COABE:

Monday, March 26th 2:00pm-3:15pm, Room: CC 104A
How Smartphone XPRIZE Apps Can Transform Your ESL and ABE Classes

In addition, I will be hosting a Roundtable about the math lessons within our XPRIZE app:

Monday, March 26th 8:00am-9:15am, Room: Paradise Valley Roundtable
How an App Can Accelerate Math Progress ABE to HSE

Look forward to meeting members of the community in Phoenix. 

-- Vinod Lobo, Learning Upgrade

Friends, 
How many of you will be using the COABE App? I struggled last night as I was making my agenda - trying to decide from so many great and meaningful sessions! I encourage you to check out the app and then think about your agenda.

If you are using the app, I encourage you to follow me as I will be doing my best to post updates from the sessions. I also encourage you to follow people and make the most of the sessions you can, and then can't attend. 

My first session will be with David Rosen and Leecy Wise: Everything You Need to Know About the LINCS Community: An Overview of the Community and Its Purpose: Monday: 3:45-5:00. CC102B If you have a chance to attend, I'd love to chat with you after the session. :-)

On Tuesday, I will be presenting First Do No Harm: How Can Trauma-Informed Leadership Benefit Students from 3:45 to 5:00 in CC101B. Again, stick around after the sesssion, I'd love to get to know you!

Finally, on Wednesday, I will be presenting Technology Driven Instruction Inside a Prison? Discover the Potential. 11:00 AM -12:15 in CC106A. 

If you are presenting, let us know! 

Sincerely, 
Kathy Tracey
@Kathy_Tracey

Thanks for the encouragement on using the COABE App, Kathy. I must make time this week to get acquainted with it! 

I'll be presenting twice, once with you, as follows:

• Cultural Influences on Adult Teaching and Learning. Session 2, Monday, March 26th 11:30am-12:45pm, Room: Paradise Valley. Strand: Student Engagement, Type of Presentation: Roundtable
  • Everything you Need to Know about the LINCS Community: An Overview of the Community and its Purpose, co-presenting with Jessie Stadd,  Kathy Tracey, and David Rosen. Session 4, Monday, March 26th 3:45pm-5:00pm, Room: CC 102B

At COABE 2018, I'll be presenting two workshops....

Monday, March 26 from 3:45-5:00 pm in Camelback B, The Road to Work: A Pathway to Success during which I'll introduce a new ESL workplace contextualized reading series. 

Tuesday, March 27 from 11:00-12:15 pm in Camelback B, Implementing Close Reading Strategies in English Language Classes during which I'll reading strategies which can lead ELLs to both academic and workplace success. Participants leave with 3 activities which can be implemented with students in their programs.  

Hope to see you there!!

Ronna Magy

Hi all,

GED Testing Service is offering a number of professional development sessions and workshops during COABE's 2018 Conference. We'll be sharing the latest teaching strategies to help students prepare for and pass the GED test subjects and showing you how to incorporate the new GED Student Study Guides and other tools in your classroom instruction. Be sure to also stop by our booth for new flyers, brochures and classroom posters.

Here's the full rundown of what we're offering each day:

Monday, March 26th

Evidence-Based Writing Should Begin with ABE Students
This session will focus on strategies to use with ABE students to introduce them to evidence-based writing.
Presenter: Susan Pittman
When/Where: Monday, March 26th 8:00 am-9:15 am, Room: Deer Valley

What Instructors and Their Students Need to Know about GED® Extended Response
The session is designed to round out your tool chest—how best to focus your time with students in order to teach them the “how-to” of writing responses that earn points
Presenter: Daphne Atkinson
When/Where: Monday, March 26th 8:00 am-9:15 am, Room: Laveen A

Did You Know? An Introduction to the GED® Test for New Teachers
This session will highlight key instructional areas that are challenging for students and how teachers can focus instruction.
Presenters: Susan Pittman, Debi Faucette
When/Where: Monday, March 26th 11:30 am-12:45 pm, Room: Deer Valley

What’s New in Accommodations
This session will discuss the types of accommodations that are available and how to assist test takers to secure the proper documentation to request them.
Presenter: Debbie Bergtholdt
When/Where: Monday, March 26th 2:00 pm-3:15 pm, Room: CC 105B

Improve Your GED Exam Pass Rates with New Tools from GEDTS
New teacher tools from GED® Testing Service are helping teachers identify exactly where their class needs more focus to be successful on the GED® Test. New products for students will be introduced to help students practice skills and supplement classroom learning.
Presenter: CT Turner
When/Where: Monday, March 26th 2:00 pm-3:15 pm, Room: Paradise Valley

Step by Step: From the Headlines to the GED® Science Classroom
Whether it is a flyby by an asteroid, the collapse of a polar ice shelf, or sea level changes, using these headlines, instructors can create a learning environment where students can develop their scientific inquiry skills.
Presenter: Daphne Atkinson
When/Where: Monday, March 26th 3:45 pm-5:00 pm, Room: Paradise Valley

Tuesday, March 27th

GED® Program Overview: How to Thrive in This New WIOA World
From outcomes research to educator tools, this session will take a comprehensive look at the GED® program and provide insights to adult educators on how to best serve their students.
Presenter: Brian Smith
When/Where: Tuesday, March 27th 8:00 am-9:15 am, Room: CC 101A

Wednesday, March 28th

What Instructors and Their Students Need to Know about GED® Extended Response
The session is designed to round out your tool chest—how best to focus your time with students in order to teach them the “how-to” of writing responses that earn points
Presenters: Susan Pittman/ Daphne Atkinson
When/Where: Wednesday, March 28th 8:00 am-9:15 am, Room: Alhambra

Content Matters—Focus on Social Studies
This part of the workshop will focus on content in social studies that students need, as well as strategies for improving their inference skills.
Presenters: Susan Pittman/ Debi Faucette
When/Where: Wednesday, March 28th 11:00 am-12:15 pm, Room: Deer Valley

Another Angle: Developing GED® Exam Geometric Reasoning Skills
We’ll review how developing thinking skills associated with problem solving and geometric reasoning can boost overall performance—and not just in math.
Presenter: Susan Pittman
When/Where: Wednesday, March 28th 1:45 pm-3:00 pm, Room: Alhambra

Hello colleagues, If you have not yet learned about LINCS wonderful and free ESL Pro resources, check out these two sessions at COABE. My round table will discuss goal setting with beginning English learners.

New Materials on Rigor, Digital Literacy, and Career Pathways from LINCS ESL Pro -- Monday, March 26 at 11:30 AM. Presenting with me will be two Arizona colleagues who will focus on how their practice has changed due to their engagement with ESL Pro.

Goal Setting and Beyond with Beginning English Learners -- Monday, March 26 at 3:45 PM. This round table discussion focuses on strategies that give teachers valuable information about beginning learners’ goals and ways to empower them to achieve. 

New! LINCS ESL Pro Study Circles Support Teachers to Soar to New Heights! -- Tuesday, March 27 at 3:45 PM. Come discover how the new LINCS ESL Pro Study Circles can actively engage teachers in learning about and applying innovative strategies in the classroom. 

Cheers, Susan Finn Miller

Moderator, English Language Acquisition

Hi Paul and all, I think it would be a great idea to create an ongoing list of bilingual resources here on LINCS. Members, please contribute any and all resources you are familiar with here!

Cheers, Susan Finn Miller

Moderator, English Language Acquisition and Teaching & Learning CoPs

Susan and group members: I do not know much about COABE, and would like information concerning Bilingual or Multilingual resources - especially for Beginning students. In this way we could make a list of materials and methods, strategies and tactics for use in various kinds of classes.

Thanks, Paul Rogers, pumarosa21@yahoo.com

Dana, I am thrilled you joined us. :-) 

COABE is in full swiing and I have had the opportunity to attend some great sessions, so I'd like to start thinking about how we are going to move 'beyond' COABE. In the past, I have had great access to information and resources. My mind is full of ideas, and then..... I get back to the office and answer emails, return calls, and do everyting that is needed after being gone for a week. Life moves on and the great ideas are placed in a folder and I get too busy to ever return to the ideas. 

I'd like to continue this discussion with ideas about moving beyond the conference. What tips and strategies do you use that helps you implement ideas learned at a conference? Do you debrief from conferences with staff members? What does that process look like? 

I'd love to hear how you move beyond the conference to application of ideas learned. 

Sincerely, 
Kathy Tracey
@Kathy_Tracey