Self Paced Science Courses for Professional Development

Did you know we have four professional development courses related to Science? Follow this thread to learn more about these courses and I work through each of them over the next several weeks. Or, better yet -join me and let's work though them together.

Check out (1) Engaging Adult Learners in Science, (2) Scientific Practices in Context, (3) Project Based Science Instruction for Career Preparation, and (4) Teaching Energy Literacy to Adult Learners. 

I'm starting with Engaging Adult Learners in Science, This course provides an overview of the relevance and importance of science in the adult basic education/adult secondary education (ABE/ASE) classroom and introduces the use of scientific practices in the ABE/ASE classroom.

Scientific Practices in Context: This course provides an overview of the relevance and importance of science in the adult basic education/adult secondary education (ABE/ASE) classroom and introduces the use of scientific practices in the ABE/ASE classroom.

Project Based Science Instruction for Career Preparation: The course is self-paced and is comprised of three sessions which include the following:  

1. Using Project-Based Learning to Connect Science Instruction to Daily Life;
  2. Preparing Adults for STEM Careers via Project-Based Learning; and
  3. Mapping Science Education to Career Paths.

Teaching Energy Literacy to Adult Learners This course explains the concept of energy literacy, and introduces the Energy Literacy Framework developed by the U.S. Department of Energy. Educators can use the Framework (available in English and Spanish) to teach adult learners about the role of energy in their lives and to generate potential interest in energy as a career field. This course explores the Fundamental Concepts of the seven essential principles outlined in the Energy Literacy Framework and provides examples of online resources teachers can use to teach the principles and associated concepts to adult learners.

Join me and take one or more of these courses. 

Sincerely, 
Kathy Tracey
@Kathy_Tracey

Comments

Friends, 

As I mentioned, I am working my way throug the LINCS Science Courses and started with Engaging Adult Learners in Science. I came on this page in the content....

What is Scientific Literacy?

According to the National Academies Press (1996, p. 21), scientific literacy is "the knowledge and understanding of scientific concepts and processes required for personal decision making, participation in civic and cultural affairs, and economic productivity."

So, using this definition, being scientifically literate means a person can:

• ask, find, or determine answers to questions derived from curiosity about everyday experiences;
  • read with understanding articles about science;
  • engage in social conversation about validity of conclusions;
  • identify scientific issues underlying national and local decisions and express positions that are scientifically and technologically informed;
  • evaluate quality of scientific information based on its source and methods used to generate it;
  • pose and evaluate arguments based on evidence and apply conclusions from such arguments appropriately;
  • use technical terms correctly; and
  • apply scientific concepts and processes accurately.

Example of Scientific Literacy

A parent demonstrates scientific literacy when he/she explains what causes earthquakes to his/her child or he/she reads an article about the side effects of a vaccination and makes a decision to have the child vaccinated.

How would you define scientific literacy? How important do you think this is for our adult learners?  

Sincerely 
Kathy Tracey