Free Upcoming Webinar! Financial Literacy Materials for Adults with Limited English Reading Proficiency

Save the date for a free LINCS Community webinar on Thursday, May 30, 2013 from 2-3PM EDT.  Log in info will be emailed directly to registered participants as we approach the webinar date.

Deborah Kennedy and Miriam Burt of the Center for Applied Linguistics, as well as Jennifer Leach of the Federal Trade Commission, Bureau of Consumer Protection will host a 60-minute webinar. The purpose of this event is to share free, downloadable instructional and informational materials for practitioners working with adult learners with low literacy in English – both native and non-native English speakers. These materials can be used in classrooms, in one-on-one tutoring, or even by students themselves working online. 

Registration is closed.  Thank you for your interest.

Comments

Some of the banks in the Chicago area have some great materials for financial literacy, but they seem to written at 6.0 grade level.  I have used them, but have had to rewrite.  Some of the problems arise because the vocabulary needed to work with banks, credit cards, etc is very difficult for those who are reading at high level let alone below 6.0.  I am looking  forward for the materials that will help explain the needed vocabulary.

Hi, all. I'm very happy to see such interest in the Webinar and looking forward to talking with everyone. Dorjan, can you answer  questions members have posted about accessing and archiving the Webinar?

Thanks.

Miriam

Thank you all for stating your interest in the upcoming webinar.  We will be sending a reminder with the link location for the webinar the week of, and even the day of, the webinar.

Hello everyone,

This group is a wonderful way to inform us about webinars and other opportunities - so I wholeheartedly advocate that. BUT.... could the providers of webinars please provide SEPARATE registration contact info, e.g. "Please register by emailing Jane Doe at janedoe@youremailaddress.com." In other words, please do not use the group/list itself for the actual registration.

We are being absolutely inundated by people posting "Please register me for this webinar" because people were asked to register this way. Those of us who get each post via email are swamped by dozens of emails saying "I would like to attend." Threads should be used for discussion of professional topics, not registration for a webinar.

Hope that LINCS administrators will actively support this request - thanks much!

Betsy Rubin
Literacy Works

Chicago

A HUGE THANK YOU to all of you who have indicated interest in the upcoming financial literacy webinar. We apologize for any inconveniences caused by the RSVP/registration instructions for this event. We will be exploring different RSVP/registration avenues for future events so as not to disrupt groups' professional discussions and members' email accounts.

Registration for this event will be limited to the first 50 people who RSVP (including those who have already indicated in this thread that they wish to attend). Approximately 15 seats are remaining. If you have not yet indicated your RSVP, please do so by emailing Dorjan Chaney at dorjan.chaney@kratoslearning.com. Do not RSVP by posting a comment in this discussion thread. However, we do encourage you to post content-related questions and comments for the presenters in this thread!

The webinar team will email additional details and instructions to access the webinar only to members who have completed their RSVP. If you indicated your RSVP via a comment below, we will use the email address in your community profile to contact you. These details will be sent closer to the webinar date.

Please use the Contact Us tab if you have additional questions, comments, or concerns. For more information on how to manage your email notifications, including indicating your preferences for specific group discussions, view the How Do I document located at: https://community.lincs.ed.gov/sites/default/files/how_do_i_change_my_notification_settings_0.pdf

Best regards -- LINCS Community Team

Unfortuantely, we will not be archiving our webinars very soon.  We will begin archiving in the future and will in fact, back archive this webinar and previous webinars.  If you could attend the webinar that would be great, but FYI we are working to make sure that we can put these webinars up in a timely manner, in a format and location that is assessible to everyone.

Thank you for you inquiry.

I would like to participate in the webinar! We offer financial literacy in our ESL classes, but it has been difficult to get bankers to incorporate the English our students need into the FDIC Money Smart curriculum or other curriculums that the different banks use. Our local literacy coalition will be working with United Way to try to have trainings for bankers to understand what adult learners need most.

We have had a great response and show of interest for this upcoming webinar.  We are closing registration today.  Expect to receive a message the middle of next week and again on the day of.  

When you receive the message please reply to confirm receipt. Everyone enjoy your weekend.  I look forward to May 30th!