Adult Numeracy Network Strand Sessions - COABE 2018: Materials and Contact Information

Dear Heroes of Adult Numeracy and HSE math teaching,

The Adult Numeracy Network sponsors a strand of math & numeracy related workshops at every COABE. There were so many great workshops at the last conference in March and I wanted to share some of the resources, both for teachers who were there and of course, for teachers who were not.
  • Any session title that is BOLD and Blue is a link to the materials shared at that workshop.
  • Many of the presenters are on Twitter - when that is the case I included their Twitter handle so you can find them there. You can also search Twitter using the hashtags #ANNmath or #ANNunder10. <Note: You don't need to have your own Twitter account to search Twitter or view posts>
  • Two of the workshops listed below - Melissa Braaten's "Key Concepts in Proportional Reasoning" and Sarah Lonberg-Lew's "Using Visuals to Develop Conceptual Understanding: Singapore Strips" have corresponding articles in the latest issue of the Math Practitioner. The Math Practitioner is the ANN journal that comes out three times a year. If you would like to learn more about ANN, the Math Practitioner or becoming a member of ANN, click here.
yours in productive struggle,

Mark

sySHBwm8m1GvybyoZ-cRS8rS99PV4KsPQ-qvlxyj
NUMERACY STRAND
COABE 2018
Sponsored by the Adult Numeracy Network (ANN)

Session Presenter(s)

Pre-Conference: Putting Our Own Maths on Before Helping Students

In addition to sharing their resources, the team that organized the ANN pre-conference session has been recreating the activities of the day online through the LINCS listserv for us all to play along at home.

Join the discussion here.

Brooke Istas, Eric Appleton, Sarah Lonberg-Lew, Heidi Schuler-Jones, & Stephanie Stewart-Reese

Active-Learning Strategies for Teaching Measurement and Geometry

Steve Hinds (@Stevehinds57)
Sense-Making vs Answer Getting in Our Math Classrooms

Eric Appleton (@eappleton)

Mark Trushkowsky (@mtrushkowsky)

Research/Evidence-Based Instruction: How Can the Research Actually Inform our Teaching and Use of Math Word Problems?

Lynda Ginsburg

Active-Learning Strategies for Teaching Ratios, Probability, and Statistics

Steve Hinds (@Stevehinds57)
Using Visuals to Develop Conceptual Understanding: Singapore Strips 

Sarah Lonberg-Lew

(@MathSarahLL)

Your Students CAN Bridge the Gap Between Arithmetic and Higher-Level Mathematics!

Patricia Helmuth (@PatriciaHelmuth)

mathpractitioner@gmail.com

Using Standards of Mathematical Practices in Volunteer Tutor Instruction of Adult Learners

Rebecca Wagner

Key Concepts in Proportional Reasoning

Melissa Braaten
Linking Geometry to Algebraic Reasoning

Sarah Lonberg-Lew (@MathSarahLL)

Circumlocution to Precision: How Student Agency Moves Teacher and Learner to the Productive Struggle in the Numeracy Context

Kristy Stoesz

Jennifer Dalzell

Are Your Problems the Problem?

Cynthia Bell
Understanding Volume & Surface Area from the Inside Out

Heidi Schuler-Jones

hschuler@ellijay.com

Building Coherence: Exploring Ways to Get a Math CCRS Level A/B Classroom Ready for Level D/E Work (and handout)

Rebecca Strom (@rstrom314)

Mathematical Freedom: Remove Rules and Conformity to Achieve Engagement and Freedom for Your Students

Brooke Istas (@MATHandNUMERACY)
Balancing an Algebraic Understanding

Email con2ward@aol.com for other supporting resources.

Thank you to all the presenters and participants!

Comments

These are awesome!    I was perusing the surface area and volume lessons an d I'm wondering if students still get that sheet of formulas.   (I couldn't get to the last link -- not sure what I'd have had to already signed up for...)