Digital Crossword Puzzles

I am looking for a free resource for creating and printing crossword puzzles both for me and for my students develop. Thank you for your suggestions.

Comments

Hi, Christi. I believe that crosswords do a lot more than just build vocabulary around themes or interests. They also reinforce critical thinking as many word games do.   Along with Kathy's good suggestion, you might consider using one of my favorite interactive MS Office apps of all time: Excel! Excel has graphing and other tools that can show students how things work and invite a lot of interaction. As we know, we learn not from content but from interacting with content.   Creating your first crossword in Excel takes a bit of time, but once you and students complete one puzzle, the next one is very quick to create. I have an example of one that I created at http://oerinadulted.org/Excel.htm, a site where I post open content for adult learners. Click on the Loans Crossword Puzzle and download it to see how things work. The puzzle opens in the first tab, the answer in the second. I have a couple of other examples of using Excel for interaction on that page, too. I plan to add an additional one for showing students how fractions, decimals, ratios, and percentages are related. Stay tuned.    If you go to YouTube and type a term like "Create a puzzle in Excel," you'll find some good tutorials. Also, if you Google the same term or simply "free digital puzzles," you'll find some gems there as well. Let us know how you do. I hope other join us here. 

Thank you, Kathy and Leecy for your suggestions. The Discovery site also has some good games that students might also like and learn a lot from. I need to find a bit of time to play with Excel. Your examples are very good. Maybe I'll have one of my students learn and teach me! Christi