Lessons/Tasks that Take Learners Beyond the Classroom

Hello colleagues, My summer class with high beginners and low intermediate level learners will start in July. In this class, I would like to integrate some lessons that take learners outside the classroom to complete tasks. We know that when teachers bring the real world into the classrooms in a variety of ways by, for example, using authentic materials, inviting guest speakers, etc., this is valuable. It is also useful to offer opportunities for learners to complete tasks outside of the classroom.

I've been thinking about the kinds of tasks I might include in my class this summer. Through searching the LINCS Resource Collection, I came across a wonderful toolkit prepared by our colleagues in Chicago entitled "English Beyond the Classroom: Community-based Tasks for ESL Students." You can check out the review on LINCS here.

(I discovered that the link to the resource has been updated, so you can locate it here.)

I'm eager to check out this resource in some depth and invite all those interested to do the same.

What are your thoughts about inviting students to complete tasks outside of the classroom? What might be the pros and cons? I'd love to hear what kind of tasks you have asked students to complete outside the classroom and/or what kind of tasks you would like to engage students in outside the classroom. All ideas are welcome!

Cheers, Susan Finn Miller

Moderator, English Language Acquisition

Comments

I love the idea of teaching students how to approach a situation where they will apply newly learned skills but I found many of my students have anxiety or stress about stepping outside a comfort zone. (I think this can apply to everyone, but for this example, I am considering students). I found that helping students create small groups or partners who could join them as they went to a child's school event, attended a library event, or whatever the activity, increased the likelihood of a student expanding their experiences. Kathy Tracey