HyperDocs Discussion

Integrating Technology colleagues,

As you may know, we are holding a discussion in the Integrating Technology group the week of June 25th. It will be preceded, on June 21st and June 22nd, by a two-part webinar -- each part is one hour -- through which you will get a thorough introduction by adult basic skills HyperDocs expert, Ashly Winkle, to this amazing, free, multi-media lesson planning tool. The webinar parts will be packed with information, so there won't be much time for questions and answers, but Ashly has agreed to join us for a few days to answer your questions and hear and respond to your ideas about how you might use HyperDocs in your class, adult basic skills program or adult school.

I hope you will join the webinar -- registration is required -- and the follow-up discussion. If you have been thinking about how to incorporate a HyperDocs lesson planning tool in your teaching, this will be a great opportunity. Although the webinar eventually will be archived on the LINCS YouTube channel, to ask questions or share ideas you will want to join the discussion the week of the 25th.

David J. Rosen, Moderator

LINCS CoP Integrating Technology group

Comments

Hello Integrating Technology Colleagues,

This week our focus in the Integrating Technology group will be on HyperDocs. What are they? How can we make them? How can we use them with adult learners and for adult education professional development? How can we share them? How can they be used in a blended learning classroom? How can we use them to individualize or personalize our classes? And other questions.

We have Ashly Winkle with us this week, from the Literacy Council of Tyler Texas. She's a teacher of adult HSE preparation, a trainer, coach,  Director of Distance Learning and, especially important to this discussion, a HyperDocs maven. Her work as a teacher, and her students' enthusiasm, persistence and completion in her HSE prep classes has been transformed through her use of HyperDocs. She hopes to have many more adult education teachers learn how to use this terrific free tool, to create HyperDocs, and share them as open education resources with other adult basic skills (including ESOL/ESL) teachers.

For some teachers, using HyperDocs may be the solution to individualizing or personalizing their classes, to having a seamless and integrated blended learning model in the classroom and outside, where students can move at their own pace and also have the benefit of peers and a teacher at their side.

We'll have an expanded discussion this week. Of course, it's an opportunity to ask questions, but also to follow up with more questions from the two-part webinar Ashly did last week, and -- an especially good use of an asynchronous discussion -- to follow up your question(s) with more questions until you understand. We can have dialogues with Ashly all week.  You will also have a step-by-step opportunity to make a HyperDoc, to get help along the way from Ashly if you need it, and to share your HyperDoc with others if you wish, on an adult basic skills HyperDocs padlet that Ashly has created for adult education teachers' HyperDoc sharing. At the end of the week, if you are interested in joining a continuing micro-group of adult educator HyperDoc makers and users, where the discussion can continue, let us know. If we have enough interest, Ashly or I will form the group.

There were questions in the Webinars last week, some of which Ashly answered and some of which I will bring to this discussion. However, this is your chance to ask questions, any question about HyperDocs if you are just curious, ready to make HyperDocs, or if you have already made some. I will begin with some basic questions for Ashly in my next posts.

Welcome Ashly, and everyone; let the questions begin!

LINCS Cop Integrating Technology group

Hello again Integrating Technology colleagues,

Here are some basic questions for Ashly for those who are new to them:

1. What is a HyperDoc?

2. How much do they cost?

3. How do you use them as an HSE teacher?

4. How much time does it take to make one?

5. If I made one for my students, what would I do with it?

6. How would making HyperDocs enable me to have a blended learning class?

Here are some of the questions that were asked and answered in the Webinar, part one:

1. Does every student need a gmail account to get started?  Ashly answered that they do. Gmail accounts are free, incidentally

2. What has the change in your program outcomes been? Ashly answered that "those teachers who have started using HyperDocs have seen increased gains, HSE certificates, and retention rates." She added later that for her HSE class, in 2016-2017, "I was at about a 68% retention rate for the year and for 2017-2018 I was at 81%."

3. Our state is judged by the average hours in class. Has this changed for your program (as a result of using HyperDocs)? Ashly answered that they have increased.

4. Does every student need an Internet connected device in order for this to work?  So in an adult ed classroom like mine where there is only one computer, it wouldn't work? Ashly answered that every student needs access to an Internet connected device. She added later, "Again, if your student has their google docs set to work “Offline” as well, then they potentially could use it offline.(I don’t really trust this method). Either way, internet is required to get started. It still could work with one computer, BUT you might need to get creative. You could work on the overhead together. You may need some of the activities to be printed, or turn them into group activities, you might need to take turns sharing the computer, or introduce or teach them how to use the HyperDoc from that computer and have them do the work as homework from a library or computer lab."

5. Could this (Hyperdocs) be used to start an open discussion about a subject topic in the class? Ashly answered, "Yes."

6. Do you (Ashly) use Google Docs through Google Classroom or just your own individual/personal account? Ashly answered: "both.I am not sure if I answered that correctly or not. I use my work gmail to administer and manage my Google Classroom classes."

7. I am still not sure of how I can use HyperDocs. Do I edit someone else's or do I make it myself, or both? Ashly answered,"You can edit someone else’s, make your own, or use a template."

8. How are students working at their own pace if these are shared docs? Ashly answered that in this case every student has her/his copy of the HyperDoc and that “shared” means only that the teacher has shared the Hyperdoc with the student and that the teacher (not other students) can see and share comments with the student on her/his HyperDoc.

9. Is a new HyperDoc necessary each day?  Are there HyperDocs that you re-use? Ashly answered, "NO! Most of my HyperDocs turn into mini units. They usually last a minimum of two days or can last several weeks depending on the class and the content. Yes, I re-use and share most of them."

10. This seems like it would work well as a distance learning option. Any details/comments on that? Ashly said that although she hasn’t done this yet, she thinks HyperDocs would work well in distance learning.

11. Do you have any Spanish Language hyperdocs? Ashly answered that although she has not made any Spanish language HyperDocs, because HyperDocs are international she believes there must be available Spanish language HyperDocs or HyperDocs in Spanish. Later, she added, "I found this resource for Spanish HyperDocs: https://hyperdocs.co/taxonomy/term/84 "

What are your questions for Ashly?

1. What is a HyperDoc? A HyperDoc is more of a concept/application than a tool.  It is an application where digital lessons are created through documents that can be edited, copied, and stored in the web "cloud". HyperDocs guide students with step-by-step instructions as links, graphic organizers, videos, and other outside web-based resources are incorporated within the lesson. They create opportunities for choice and exploration. 

2. How much do they cost? No cost unless you integrate a tech tool that you are currently paying for; You just need a Google account and that is free.

3. How do you use them as an HSE teacher? I use them for every lesson including math, science, social studies, language, reading, goal-setting, college prep, and career exploration lessons. I use them for group work, class work, independent study, and homework. Furthermore,  I use them to differentiate my instruction as I am able to assign different students different assignments, thus, allowing me to meet the needs of all my students.

Hi Ashly,

Although those who attended one or both of your webinars last week, have seen what HyperDocs for adult basic skills students look like, could you give us links to two or three examples, and perhaps a couple of short videos that do a walk-through of a HyperDoc template for those who didn't participate in the webinars?

Everyone -- I will continue to post questions, but if you -- as a reader of this post -- don't post your question(s) you're missing out on a great opportunity this week to learn about HyperDocs at every level, from a broad perspective of what their value is and how they might be used, to the nuts and bolts of how to make one.

My question in one of the webinars last week got garbled a bit, so here it is more clearly:  Does Ashly have a list of her regular go-to online tools that she uses in each element of her lesson plan?  I'm thinking of the Engage through Extend lesson plan template, and am particularly interested in tools that she finds most useful for each of the Apply, Share and Reflect sections of the plan.

Favorites for Apply:

• Apply what they learned through an activity, assignment, or short lesson on Formative (http://goformative.com)
  • Create a slide show individually or in groups using Google Slides (copy the link onto the HyperDoc so you can view)
  • Create a written piece using Google Docs
  • Provide a link to a Khan Academy assignment/lesson.
  • Create an infographic using Canva or Adobe Spark
  • Create a Fakebook page on https://www.classtools.net/FB/home-page
  • Write a letter to your future self on Futureme.org
  • Or any other tool you like to use to create and show understanding- I tend to learn about new tools when I view other people's HyperDocs. I also like to use tools I already use such as Schoology where I have pre-made tests available, Formative is an amazing Formative assessment tool where you can upload a worksheet and transform it into a digital lesson, Khan Academy where my classes are created by linking it to Google Classroom. I like to use tools that I am able to assess their understanding fairly quickly.

personally, I have been using all the tools you mentioned, google docs for keeping my record and writings saved, & google slides and adobe for presentation.

What I discovered recently is a tool to make cool infographics, I used Canva & Adobe Spark before, but the way the market is getting competitive few new players like PhotoADKing & Crello has emerged recently and they are offering templates that can be quickly edited.  

I don't usually use tools for this section as I usually just have them write a paragraph, but here are other ideas:

• Create a Google Form for the to fill out
  • Create a shared Google Doc 
  • Have them represent their learning through something visual (free images, etc.) 
  • Flipgrid is another wonderful, now 100 % free tool for student to share their thoughts and ideas via video/on their phones!

Hi Ashly.  Thanks for all of the lists of suggestions above.  The "HyperDoc Template with Tool Ideas" is exactly what I had in mind when asking my question -- very succinct, with lots of suggestions.  Your more curated lists in your posts are helpful for getting me started checking out tools.

Here are more questions for Ashly Winkle from Webinar Part One.

12. Can you describe Google classroom more?

13. Is there a workaround in Google classroom if your school/agency does not supply students with school-specific emails? Ashly answered that the school or agency does not have to supply students with school-specific emails, that they can (be helped to) get their own Gmail address and that will enable them to use HyperDocs.

14. So HyperDocs are basically like an offline website? Laid out page by page? Ashly answered no, that HyperDocs are used online, and she wasn’t sure what “laid out page by page” meant.

1. What is your website? Ashly answered: https://sites.google.com/view/hyperdocsforadulteducators/home
  2. By using hyperlinks for videos, how can you make it so students don't have ads, or continue to the next video such as on Youtube which keeps running additional videos?
  3. Ashly, do you have a template that has a list in each of the lesson sections (Explore, Explain, etc.) of the online tools she uses most often as links in that section?
  4. I have a Google website for my class and have created Google slides lessons that I post there. Why is - or is - using HyperDocs with Google classroom a better option for assignments? And would you use one or the other, both, or what? Looking to simplify and establish routines we can really stick with in the fall. Thanks again for the great information. Ashly answered that Google Docs are simple to use but are not particularly visual. Google Slides are visual and offer more freedom to create than Google Docs. (Ashly, could you give some examples that illustrate when you would use a Google Doc, and when a Google Slide, in a HyperDoc context?)
  5. I have a question about the "Engage" portion of the HyperDoc lesson with regard to teaching adults ESL. In teaching ESL, the presentation must be very dynamic in order that every student uptake the new material/objective. I'm having a hard time seeing how a HyperDoc can "present" new material to students without being merely an online picture dictionary.  If you have any pointers, I would appreciate it.  Happily, I think a HyperDoc could make for a terrific summative assessment tool, or a stand-alone exercise while conducting teacher/students conferences.
  6. I love QR codes, but when I bring up the topic of implementing them, I am told they are a thing of the past.  I completely disagree... what are your thoughts?  Also, what is the best QR reader for non-Apple devices that you have found for adults?
  7. I use Google Classroom as a way for my students to access materials outside of class.  I teach ESL and organize by learning activity...listening, reading, pronunciation, grammar.  The only thing I don't like is Google Classroom is it's not searchable like Google drive is.  I'd like to be able to organize it more and find things I've posted in the past.  If you have any tips on that, please share them with us.
  8. Are there any adult basic ed collections of hyperdocs? I've searched for ESL, GED, etc. but it appears pretty limited. mostly k-12.
  9. Where can we locate the HyperDoc templates?
  10. How is the confidentiality level with student information in Google classroom?
  11. (Note: this was a comment, I believe by a participant, in response to using the Google web address shortener.)The Google Shortener is going away- Starting March 30, 2018, we will be turning down support for goo.gl URL shortener. From April 13, 2018 only existing users will be able to create short links on the goo.gl console. You will be able to view your analytics data and download your short link information in csv format for up to one year, until March 30, 2019, when we will discontinue goo.gl. Previously created links will continue to redirect to their intended destination.

Question: By using hyperlinks for videos, how can you make it so students don't have ads, or continue to the next video such as on Youtube which keeps running additional videos?

So funny this was brought up because it JUST happened to me yesterday when I "borrowed"  a pre-made HyperDoc without thoroughly examining it first! Fortunately, the class was forgiving and knew I just jumped into the role as  their new teacher - major teacher fail on my part, but I always recommend learning from MY mistakes, but PLEASE be willing to make your own. EdPuzzle is one of my go-to sites for videos! You can make it interactive (add questions, comments, discussion throughout the video), it's free, it's easy to use, and you can eliminate all ads the moment you upload it from YouTube and other video streaming sites).

I have a question about the "Engage" portion of the HyperDoc lesson with regard to teaching adults ESL. In teaching ESL, the presentation must be very dynamic in order that every student uptake the new material/objective. I'm having a hard time seeing how a HyperDoc can "present" new material to students without being merely an online picture dictionary.  If you have any pointers, I would appreciate it.  Happily, I think a HyperDoc could make for a terrific summative assessment tool, or a stand-alone exercise while conducting teacher/students conferences.

Please keep in mind, as I answer this, I do NOT teach ESL, but I have done some research and have spoken and tested out countless ESL scenarios. 

• Use an EdPuzzle video to  engage your students. EdPuzzle, which I somehow failed to mention, is an easy-to-use video site that allows you to upload videos and interact with them. The first demo I ever saw (from Dr. Glenda Rose)  was FOR an ESL class. They watch for a bit, the video stops, then they respond independently or as a class. If you are not familiar with it, I highly recommend it.

Question: I love QR codes, but when I bring up the topic of implementing them, I am told they are a thing of the past.  I completely disagree... what are your thoughts?  Also, what is the best QR reader for non-Apple devices that you have found for adults?

OMG. That's fascinating. I don't think the majority of us have even begun to explore QR codes in Adult Ed. In K-12, they use them all the time, but keep in mind, THEY spend more time in the classroom than we do. I have always wanted to explore them more, but to be honest, I haven't had the opportunity beyond trainings and such. I like the Google QR code, ,myself, as it takes two seconds to do and so COOL!

Google Sites vs. Google Classroom:  Uhhhh... I hope you can tell me! I don't know the answer to this as I do not use Google Sites that way.  It sounds like you might be using Google Sites for much  cooler ideas than I have! And I would love to hear what they are!!! Google Classroom is just an online classroom, I am not sure how else to explain it.

Hello Ashly, David and all...

Google classroom offers a nice closed network for teachers, student and even guardians now to communicate and seamlessly deal with passing out and collecting work as well as facilitating many levels of communication. Google sites is a tool that allows a platform for many Google tools to operate from. Perhaps an example may help.

In Google Classroom, I might be able to create an assignement with a due date and with a touch of a button, all of my students have everything they need to engage in the work. Additionally, the Classroom automatically puts the due date onto a classroom calendar and, depending on individual's notification settings, the student (and even guardian) can get warnings the day before something is due. All this is nicely handled within classroom.

Meanwhile, I have some announcements to share with class and Google Classroom just does not have a nice way to do this. Sure there is the Info section of Google Classroom that is designed for this, but it is not a very nice solution. Enter the Google Site now. I can create a news feed or current events part of my webpage for everyone to keep up to date with important things I want to ensure they are aware of. I may use Sites to help advertise all the awesome things being done by students in order to help drum up more interest in others looking at adult ed as an option. It is very easy to offer public interest surveys (google forms) on the Google Site in such a way that not only current students are engaged in the topic but the community members can be more easily involved. In contract, Classroom is just for us to use and the community is not allowed in very easily.  

Classroom lets me handle much of the in house needs I have when working with students. Sites lets me handle more of the out of class functions that are closely related to those things going on in classes. 

Just a few thoughts to share. Interested in hearing other experiences and perspectives if anyone has implemented both Classroom and Sites. 

Thanks, Ed for giving us a better understanding of the differences between Google Classroom and Google sites. Do you -- do others here who are familiar with both Google Classroom and Google Sites -- use both? Are there ways in which they can be integrated?

My current work has me working with many educators in their classroom settings, but I do not have my own class right now so I can't share examples that I personally use. I can share ways I have seen teachers integrate the both. 

Typically, the webpage would have a front page that has a greetings, news or important events/dates on the front page, and maybe contact information and hours.

There are usually menu items either on the left side of the site or across the top middle of the site and these menus often link directly to different classrooms the teacher has set up. I have seen this handled a few different ways.

One option has the website as a private (invite only) site and when students sign up for classes they get added to access to the site. In this option the links in the menus often just bring the student right into the appropriate google classroom. 

In another option, the webiste is public and open to all and the links bring visitors to marketing info about each class that is in the menu and has a sign in for enrolled students to get to their classroom. In this model visitors to the site can get exposed to at least a page description of the course and what is expected/required/ideal ... Then when a student is signed up they can quickly and easily get into their class from the same site. 

I have seen classroom assignments given in which students have to create surveys that are then posted on the program's site so that the community can contribute in the educational process or so students can reach out to find out if a local community resource might be in the area. This may also be linked out to social media like Facebook, but the website acts as the launching point for the many different navigation systems a program may wish to create. 

I think teachers find it much easier to attend a nice Google Classroom training that allows teachers to build as they learn. Everything is done within Google Classroom and teachers quickly see how powerful and easy things can be at even the most basic usage. Then, introduction to Google Drive and Docs, Sheets, Presentation can offer more advanced integration options although I must say Google has done an awesome job of reducing the need to even mess with Drive for most teachers! At this stage of integration, the website would be introduced and established to help organize teachers and classrooms within a program or even just focusing on an individual teacher's offerings. From that stage, more fun and utility can come in, but in my experience, many teachers and systems just don't have time/energy to build on much more than this fairly standard set up. Do others push on? If so, can you share where you go from here? Did you follow a similar path to get to this point? I would love to hear about the experiences or thoughts of others. 

I totally agree about the announcement section in Classroom. That is my biggest disappointment, and the reason I still use Schoology as an online student community to celebrate our wins, "like" each others posts, etc. I had not thought of using Google Sites, though it is one of my favorite tools out there. You definitely have me thinking this through now. Thank you so much for sharing. Is there any chance you can share your Google Site with us? I would love to see it.

Hi Ed, I am thinking about creating Google Sites for theany professional development workshops. Would I be able to create a unique site per topic or would I have one site with many topics Thanks, Kathy

I could see a PD site(s) set up working either way, Kathy. Each would have advantages and disadvantages as listed below and I offer the following thoughts on each below (for the short version you can skip to the last sentence ) :

Each topic an individual site: 
Advantage: If the PD sessions each had fees and you wished to restrict access to the materials to only those that have paid in for each specific class, then keeping each training as a different sites may make things easier to manage. Another advantage is that some people focus much better on one small project at a time rather than trying to tackle the organizational structure needs or trying to concurrently think about how PD sessions might all have to flow together ... There is comfort in just working on one little thing at a time and hopefully putting everything together slowly over time. 

Disadvantages: Keeping track of many sites can become daunting over time and one should spend much time in carefully designing a naming structure. I have struggled so often in finding which version of a PD held the golden nugget someone was asking me for a link to. Often after a PD session there are changes or alterations I want to make and these changes may sometimes be quite drastic. This may lead to many versions of the same PD session in your sites list and this may quickly clog things up and add confusion. This can be mitigated a bit by archiving sites, but that may be closing off resources people are using if they found value in your previous offerings. Another disadvantage of multiple sites is continuity. Especially with adult learners, there is comfort in a familiar look or feel in a tech experience, especially for the first few attempts. When making multiple sites over time, there is a natural trend for us to alter or tweak the look or organization while thinking that we will go back to those older classes and get them updated some day. As we all know, some days can often never materialize. 

All topics under one site:
Obviously, having all your PD in one site would have opposite aspects to the above. It is easier to keep things consistent and many of us like the idea of just going one place to get everything we need. Learners don't like having to dig around to find things so preparing our PD in a way that makes things logically accessible has advantages. It is also easier for branding or marketing to keep all PD in one site as one can offer a nice catalog overview and can even allow for little previews that can then allow people into the full PD section of that site. Still, one could do a hybrid where there is one central navigation/marketing site that links to all the individual sites as well. 

I personally think the one site entry is important to help people feel that they know how to get to PD materials you wish to share with them. Within one site, you can create multiple pages for any given PD and you have the ability to turn those pages on or off to effectively build a huge catalog of offerings but only show those that you currently are running on the site. That being said, I just looked over my PD sites and realize I have hundreds ! They have accumulated over 6+ years with many different types of clients because I was independently providing those PD. If you are doing an organization's PD set up and all of the PD sessions aim to serve the same community, having all the PD sites in one is much more viable. As I look over the many PD sites I have I am thinking that it would be much work to try to tie them all together specifically because I may have 4-5 variations of one theme because each variation was aimed at a different audience. 

OK, short answer is, "It depends on your needs and there is no right or wrong answer. As long as each option is thoughtfully designed you can find success with it." 

Hello David and all. I am not sure if item 10 (confidentiality) was already addressed, if it was I am sorry for repetition. 

There has been much speculation since 2015 around Google's compliance with many educational requirements and laws. Throughout this time, Google has always maintained they are in compliance with everything, but organizations have had specific concerns that have been voiced repeatedly over time. Some of those concerns have encouraged Google to make modifications and add features into their programs. 

It appears that Google is in compliance right now with many policies and laws and you can review what the company's claims are here

I remember a few years back talking with state people here in Maine about why state offices are not using Google options to cut down on costs and increase efficiencies? The response indicated that there were parties wishing to do so, but there was a hangup with some Google tools not having handicap assistance features automatically built into some of their products. Google defended this practice by pointing out that they have means to meet any need and one simply needs to select the required assistance to have that help added to a given person's account. So the state was requesting that all assistance modules must be present automatically and Google was stating that doing so would reduce the quality of experience for everyone without a challenge in that the software would be slower, less efficient, and take up so much more space in any personal cloud space one would have. I am not sure if or how this ever got resolved. 

I know that once a Google classroom is set up, the teacher has total control over what students see and can contribute to. There are multiple layers of communication and each one allows for different inclusion or exclusion of students as may be needed. I can not think of any way a student would be able to see another student's work within the Google Classroom other than a student simply sharing that information face to face with their friends. 

I guess I just look at how many schools and universities and even businesses are looking to use the Google Cloud and it's tools and I figure they have a much better legal team on their payroll than I have anywhere around me  Looking at the Google site linked above, it appears everything is as confidential as one could expect. 

4. How much time does it take to make one? It can take anywhere from 20 minutes to 8 plus hours depending on a number of factors: if you already know the content and tools you want to use, follow a template and it's fast, if you use one that is pre-made and just need to tweak a few things, it won't take long, but if  you start from scratch (with or without a template), and you are not sure about the content or tools or just want to get "artsy" and creative, it could take days, but not necessary unless you just enjoy making them the way I do.

5. If I made one for my students, what would I do with it? I am not sure I understand this question. If you are talking about how to share, you can do that with a link, email, or a LMS. No matter how you share it, the student needs to have a copy of it (make a copy if not using Google Classroom), and from there you can have students work individually, collaboratively, as a class, homework, or a  combination of all of them. HyperDocs are FLEXIBLE. You use them however works best for you.

6. How would making HyperDocs enable me to have a blended learning class? They can work on them from home and/or in class. For distance learning, they could be used as homework.

I have a question for Ashly in regards to using hyperdocs in an LMS other than Google Classroom:

I was unable to watch the second webinar, but I did watch a Youtube presentation you had done about 5 months ago in which you mentioned that Google Classroom was preferred because you could make copies of the hyperdocs for each students and the teacher would see the work of the student without having to receive an email from each student. I am hesitant to using Google Classroom because our program already has an LMS, and I fear using an additional one might increase confusion for the students as to where to find assignments. Also, I am trying to keep the number of logins they have to have down. I am considering trying hyperdocs within my LMS (Canvas) and having the students complete assignments for the hyperdocs within Canvas. I think this would resolve the problem you said is also resolved by Google Classroom, that of cutting down a slew of emailed assignments. However, I can see that I may be adding extra work by creating the assignment in my LMS;.I can also see that it could mean extra clicking for the students as they would have to return to the LMS to complete the assignment.

What other cons could you foresee in using hyperdocs with an LMS other than Google Classroom?   

I am not that familiar with Canva, but I can tell you that I used to use Schoology to share the HyperDocs. My one recommendation would be if you do it that way, when you share the link on your LMS, replace the words at the end of the link (usually something like "edit#slide=id.g35f391192_00") with the word "copy". That way students will be forced to make a copy right away, which will eliminate some steps. They will then need to share it with you so that you can view it.

For more info on forcing a copy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSdn5ptULws

Now, you mentioned you don't want them having too many logins, which I totally agree with, but whether you use Google Classroom to assign the HyperDocs or not, they will still have to have a Google login, so if you have them use Google Classroom, they just use that same log in. 

Advantages of google classroom: makes copy automatically, fewer emails, all assignments are in one place and can easily be graded, all assignments are organized and stored in one place so you don't have to create a new folder on you Google drive.

Hope that answers you questions?

I wish I was more familiar with Canva. I could envision this working directly within an LMS if there was some sort of document embedded within it that would allow you to insert links, etc. that would allow students to explore beyond the site. That would be an ideal situation for you and I am sure many others. If you figure something out or try it out, I would love to hear about your experience. 

Daniel, 
You really got me thinking. If you can upload a Word or Google Doc to your LMS, you should be able to do it straight from the LMS. If it is not compatible with Google (and still requires students to have Google accounts), you could download the Google Doc or just make the HyperDoc on a Word Doc instead, upload it to your LMS, and go. Let me know what you think! And thank you for this idea!

Integrating Technology colleagues,

Ashly Winkle wrote yesterday: "If anyone is interested in creating their own HyperDoc this week and would like some help walking through the process, please comment on this post or send me an email to msashlylcot@gmail.com. "  If you are interested, reply now to Ashly directly, or reply to this message letting her know you are interested.

As many of you know, my first recommendation is to use Google Classroom to store and share your HyperDocs, but after a conversation I had on this discussion earlier, I decided to take a look at other learning management systems. I also use Schoology and it has the option of linking to Google Drive. If your LMS (like I know Schoology does) links directly to Google Drive and your students have Google accounts, you could share it that way. In the case of Schoology, the students still have to have a Google account, however, I think if you convert your Google Document HyperDoc to a Word document and you are able to upload it to your LMS, you might be able to do it that way instead. If anyone tries that or if I try it (which I just might), please share your experience!

Hello Integrating Technology Colleagues,

Today's the last official day of our HyperDocs discussion with Ashly Winkle although, since Ashly is an Integrating Technology group member, I hope she'll be able to answer some questions posted later. Please ask your questions today (Friday, June 29th) if you can. If you would be interested in joining an adult educators' HyperDocs maker and user group, let me or Ashly know and, if there's enough interest, we'll see what we can organize.

djrosen123@gmail.com

Our many thanks to Ashly Winkle for both the two-part webinar and the follow-up discussion last week about HyperDocs. Anyone who views the webinars, looks through the questions and answers in the follow-up discussion -- and then tries making a HyperDoc -- should have a good sense of the opportunities in using this free tool with their adult learners or for designing professional development for teachers.

I also want to thank the LINCS members who joined the discussion, and especially those who posted questions and comments.

It appears that there may be a few people who are using HyperDocs, or want to try to use them. The summer months may afford them and others an opportunity to explore this more fully. As Ashly is a member of the Integrating Technology group, you could post your questions about HyperDocs to her here or email her directly. If you are interested in joining a small group of makers and users of adult basic skills (including ESOL/ESL) HyperDocs, please let me or Ashly know.

David J. Rosen. Moderator

djrosen123@gmail.com

Integrating Technology Colleagues,

HyperDocs for Adult Educators, by Ashly Winkle, has been newly added to the LINCS Resources Collection.

Abstract: 

This website is a collection of resources aimed at helping adult educators create and use HyperDocs in their courses. HyperDocs are digital documents that use hypertext to link students to online content that guides and deepens their understanding of important concepts. The goal of HyperDocs is to provide students with a single document that allows them to direct their own learning while under the guidance of an instructor that serves as a facilitator.

The site includes how-to instructional videos, documents and templates for creating HyperDocs, as well as sample lessons in reading and writing; math; social studies; English as a second language and family literacy; career and college readiness; and digital literacy. There are also professional development materials that can be used independently by instructors or as part of a professional development program. A discussion board is provided for adult educators to share their thoughts, ideas, suggestions, questions and struggles about using HyperDocs in their classrooms.

Let us know what you think.