Comparing Word or Other Documents

Today, I discovered a new way to compare two Word documents as I worked on two versions of a syllabus. For those of you who, like me, haven't used that feature, just follow the instructions listed on THIS PAGE. Why might anyone want to do that? I'll share a couple of ideas:
  1. To compare newer and older versions of a file, like a syllabus, in order to decide what changes should or shouldn't remain.
  2. To check changes made by students who complete a revision of a file (paragraph, essay, article) that you distribute for that purpose.
What are your ideas? What other tips can you add to this list to help us compare the text in different Word or other documents? Alternatively, what other tech tips can you share as you evaluate student writing using Word or other word processors?  Thanks in advance! Leecy

Comments

Wow, Alecia! Talk about an easy app to use! A person simply uploads the two files or takes them from the Web, and bingo! I'm curious. You said that you've used Mergely before. What kinds of document did you compare? I'm just curious about different uses, especially academic uses, that this process. Could students use the process to make corrections to their compositions. Could grant writers collaborate that way? The process I mentioned earlier also allows two documents to be merged, which might serve collaborating grant writers... Fascinating. Just thinking. Leecy