Welcome to the Correctional and Reentry Education Community of Practice

Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the Correctional and Reentry Education Community of Practice!  This group is for corrections educators who work in prisons, jails, and juvenile settings to explore issues related to teaching incarcerated adults, including research and evidence-based practices, policies and other related resources.  My name is Brooke Istas and I am the moderator for this community.  You can find out more about me by clicking here.

As new members to the group I would like to ask you to post a little introduction about yourself and share how you plan to utilize this online community (i.e., looking for lesson ideas, a forum to gather with other correctional educators, share challenges or successes in teaching, etc.).  The community is only as strong as its contributors so I want to encourage you to post your need often and respond to others, too.

Please explore the LINCS Community; I believe you are going to find that the members are willing to assist everyone.

Best,

Brooke

Comments

Hello, our WIOA Title II adult ed program was developed and has existed within the Pima County (AZ) Adult Probation Department of the Arizona Superior Court for 30 years.  Our students are not incarcerated, but most have been for at least short periods at the County Jail.  Some have had long incarcerations at state and federal institutions and are completing their "probation tails" to their sentences.  We serve about 200 students annually at this point, having peaked at 350 annually during the 2008 - 2010 economic downturn.  We also serve community students who are not involved with the criminal justice system.  We offer Adult Basic Ed, GED prep, Life Skills classes and Workforce Development classes and services.  I also oversee the cognitive skills program for all of adult probation clients.  We're open entry/open exit with flexible, individual study plans and hybrid learning opportunities using face-to-face class time daily, plus online curricula and traditional book work.  You can see our "digital homeroom" at http://pcaplearnlab.weebly.com/ .  Is anyone else housed with an Adult Probation department?

Hi All, 

While I moderate the Evidence-Based Professional Development and Science Communities of Practice, I currently work in the adult education field full time. Since 2014, I have been involved in corrections education and have a great deal of interest in the merging of corrections education and technology. As a result of this, I was invited to speak at a Senate Round Table on Corrections Education and Technology in DC in February of 2018. I am also very interested in the tablet initiatives I see at many facilities and would love to learn more about what others are doing. 

Sincerely, 

Kathy Tracey
@Kathy_Tracey

Hi Kathy -

See links below regarding 'Edovo' education tablets in Corrections. Idaho Department of Corrections was able to do a 1 year pilot project in 2016 and had favorable results.  Also, Edovo has reached back out to IDOC and wants to continue working with us. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97oXdOAuJ9Q  - Welcome to Edovo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rZQ3F0ZJfY  - Edovo Overview

I hope this helps with your inquiry.

Respectfully,

Ted Oparnico, Special Education Program Manager

Idaho Department of Correction

How did you implement the tablets? We're they used in the classroom? Or were they shared with general population? If they were used in the classroom, how did the teachers and students adapt to this model? Tablets in corrections education seems to be picking up steam and I'd love to hear your thoughts. Kathy

Tablets were implemented in a classroom setting.  Designated students (inmates under 22 years old; this population has been challenge to attend classes consistently) also had access to tablets back in their units. Tablets overall were received and adapted favorably.  There were a few glitches, but Edovo was good to work with.  Tablets offered GED courses, Khan Academy videos, some DOC Programming materials, movies, and music.  Students received one minute of credits for any academic course taken to be used on music or videos.  When the credits run out, more academic hours need to be accumulated.  Hope this helps!