Videos in the classroom

Colleagues, 

OTAN posted this link on their twitter feed and I had a chance to check out the article about a survey: Video Makes Students Happier With Learning. I invite you to read the article and continue the discussion about videos that support learning? How do you select appropriate videos in the classroom? What type of activities do you use in conjunction with the video? 

I'd love to hear your thoughts. 

Kathy Tracey
@Kathy_Tracey

Comments

Hello Kathy and colleagues, I'll be teaching an English for Health Careers class in the fall. When I taught a similar class in the past, I drew heavily from the National Institute for Health Senior Health YouTube channel, which features dozens of brief videos (most are 1 to 3 or 4 minutes) on different health-related topics. I love using videos that have transcripts available since we use the transcripts for a variety of instructional activities, and all of these NIH Senior Health videos do have transcripts.

No matter the theme or topic I'm teaching, I always look for videos to include in the unit. I am eager to hear from members about excellent sources for videos on informational topics-- especially if they have transcripts, too.

Cheers, Susan Finn Miller

Moderator, English Language Acquisition and Teaching & Learning CoPs