Stay Tuned to"Let's Talk Phonics!"

You will soon be receiving an invitation to an exciting six-day discussion on "Let's Talk Phonics," led by literacy expert guest presenter, Kathy St. John and held in three LINCS groups: Reading and Writing, Teaching and Learning, and Professional Development. As soon as you see the invitation, mark your calendars and stay tuned for more details on how to prepare to fully benefit from this event!

Each day, we will focus on one video that models an approach to teaching phonics, and discuss practical but also researched-based ideas on accelerating readings skills among adult beginning readers. 

Join us share your views, opinions, additional resources, and best practices related to phonics and other supportive instructional activities, as you interact with and learn from others on this critical topic!  Leecy

Comments

I have *just* started the process of getting some seats w/ Lexia Learning whihc has a big phonics element.  I'm so happy that Phonics is no longer unmentionable.   (I guess "learning styles" gets that ranking now...)   

I'm smiling right along with you, Susan! I think that there is enough research to show that phonics instruction needs to be taught explicitly among beginning readers. That doesn't mean that phonics should be the only approach, but it should never be ignored as part of a balanced reading program. We will be discussing many aspects of phonics instruction to adults. I'm so glad that Lexia Learning has a big phonics component. Hat's off. 

I never have understood the emotional content of so many arguments against learning styles, the new neck on the block,  but then, that's another thread... :) Thanks for the thoughts. Leecy

Thanks for asking, Laura. Yes, the announcement will come out shortly with all details through email. I notice that it is already posted in our Community page, under the "Let's Talk Phonics" Announcement. 

One or two days before the discussion, we'll post an overview of phonics for those who are just being introduced to the concept. I hope you'll join us throughout! Leecy

Hi.... I am delighted at the prospect of the upcoming discussion, as I always want to bring the best in my approach with those unable to read coming into our ELL program.  Could I ask how long the discussions will be and about the sixth day (which I see would be Saturday?)  I may not be able to attend some due to prior commitment and hope materials will be archived.... Thanks.

Hello Leigh and all, The discussion will be right here in our communities, so it will be available at any time. Kathy St. John will be with us and contributing to our discussion through Saturday, but you won't have to check in on Saturday unless you want to. You can view the entire discussion whenever you have a moment to check in.

Cheers, Susan Finn Miller

Moderator, Teaching & Learning CoP