GED Program FlowChart or Checklist

<p>I am searching for information or suggestions.&nbsp; We are a self-paced GED program.&nbsp; We get students from various programs because they are not successful or suitable to complete the program.&nbsp; We tend to accept all clients and many tend to wee themselves our during the suitability stage that lasts between 6 to 8 weeks.&nbsp; I would like to create a flowchart or checklist that&nbsp; I ca share with the clients about where they are and things they need to do to obtain their GED in a reasonable time.&nbsp; Does anyone have anything similar that they have created or know of anything that I can purchase?&nbsp; As we will start our new grant year in October, I would like to put some common goals in p;ace for our GED programs.&nbsp; Thabnk uou in advance for any suggestions!</p>

Comments

Hi, Christina!

Checklists or flowcharts are a great idea to help students see where they are and what they need to do in order to be successful!

My state (Iowa) no longer uses GED, so I'm not sure if I can be any help. I made this subject-by-subject skills checklist years ago (for the 2002 GED series), so probably a lot has changed, but you might be able to use the basic idea or outline. I imagine GED still publishes lists of the major concepts covered on each test.

For a more bird's-eye view, I made this list of tests and requirements. This is very specific to Iowa, which uses CASAS for assessments and has requirements about the order of tests, etc. Again, not sure if it will help, but maybe it will give you some ideas. Neither one was difficult to put together once I knew what information I wanted to include.

Wishing you and your students the best!

Shine bright,

Susanna

Good afternoon, all!    I see two different needs for the students pertaining to your question, Christina, and I think that checklists are great at helping students organize both sets of information. Students need to understand the academic expectations of the high school equivalency tests and they also need to understand the process to taking the actual exam.    As far as academics, students need a definitive list of goals which identifies "What Do I Need To Learn?"  I work on a distance learning project and we have sample checklists for each content area. Students can identify which areas they need to work on, and even cross out the work they have completed. We know students need to see progress toward their goals and these types of lists can often be part of a retention plan. Doesn't it feel great to check off items on your 'to do' list?    Additionally, students need to understand the process for registering for the HSE. A checklist for this is also helpful. Does the student have an email address? Do they know how to register for the tests? Do they have a photo ID? Can they take all the tests at once, or do they need to take them one at a time? All of this information can be overwhelming, so putting together a test prep packet with this type of checklist would be very helpful for some students. It can also be beneficial to go over all of this information when a student registers for class. That way, you can help identify any barriers up front. How many times do we move a student through the entire academic process to discover that they do not have a photo ID or can't afford the exam? Going over the information ahead of time allows time for planning and locating resources.   I have samples of a Student Checklist that are designed for the i-Pathways project, but the concept can be duplicated for any curriculum of your choice. If you would like samples, message me and I'll gladly send them to you.