Day 5 - Let's Talk Phonics

Welcome to Day 5 of Let’s Talk Phonics. Please feel free to continue the dialogue developed in earlier discussions as you prepare to discuss our fifth video in in our Let’s Talk Phonics series.

Today, we will be discussing strategies in the video Decoding - Part 5: Tutoring Using Phonics in Context

After watching the video, please reflect and comment on the following:

1. Do you think this approach could be used with more advanced learners? Could it also be used among rank beginners?
  2. What is the advantage of tutoring using the phonics-in-context approach?
  3. What questions can you pose to help you implement more effective reading instruction in your practice? What challenges do you face in general? 

To our Guest Expert:  Kathy St. John

1. What challenges do you most often face among tutors starting to work with beginning adult readers? 
  2. What challenges do you think developing adult readers most often face?

NOTE: Please read our recent news, posted it as "NEW! Let's Talk Phonics Certificate of Completion." Your participation may earn you PD recognition with local programs. Check it out!

Your Event Team

Comments

Hello to All Participants in our Let's Talk Phonics event,

We would like to recognize your outstanding participation in this discussion by offering you a Certificate of Completion for six hours of training in Phonics Instruction to Adult Learners. This  recognition will be signed by Kathy St. John and the three LINCS community moderators participating in our dialogues. If you are interested, we ask that you meet the following stipulations by the end of the week, or Sunday:

1. Provide evidence in your forum comments that you have viewed all six videos in the series being discussed.
  2. Participate thoughtfully on the topics/questions posed for each of the six days of the event. You may do this retroactively since the daily discussions remain open and always invite further comment. 
  3. Post a final entry addressing the following two items: (1) what I've learned and (2) how I will apply it to my practice post. A separate discussion will be open for you to enter your responses at the end of the week.

If you are interested in receiving a certificate for your involvement in this event, please email Kathy Tracey at Kathy.tracey1997@gmail.com. 

Sincerely, 

The Let's Talk Phonics Event Team. 

What challenges do you most often face among tutors starting to work with beginning adult readers? 

What challenges do you think developing adult readers most often face?

I think tutors starting to work with beginning adult readers and developing adult readers face the same three big challenges: fear, anxiety and a lack of self confidence. 

Tutors who are new to tutoring reading and helping beginning adult readers improve their reading skills often tell me how unsure they feel about being qualified and able to tutor in this area. Most aren't professional teachers and have never tutored before. Most are excellent readers who have never struggled with reading and often don't even remember learning to read because it was so easy for them. They can't imagine what it's like not to be able to read. While they join programs so they can share the joy of reading with those who lack reading skills, they often have no idea of where to begin and can't even imagine how a tutor might go about teaching an adult to improve his or her reading skills. They fear they might do something terribly wrong that might negatively affect a learner. They lack the confidence to believe that they can gain the skills required to equip themselves to become competent and successful tutors. Their lack of experience and knowledge in this area can make even the most enthusiastic tutors shiver in their boots.

I've facilitated tutor trainings and reading workshops for several programs that have used the videos to help allay tutors' fears and to demonstrate what it looks like when a tutor helps a leaner work with a learner on activities designed to improve his/her reading skills. Prospective tutors attending pre-service workshops have told me that watching the videos as a homework assignment between the orientation to the program and the first day of training has really boosted their confidence and decreased their anxiety and fear that they won't be able to do this kind of volunteer work. Once they've seen the rapport a learner and tutor can enjoy and specific strategies being demonstrated by real life tutors and learners they can take a deep breath and focus on learning the fundamentals of how to teach reading. They tell me that seeing the reading strategies in action is far more helpful to them than reading about them in a training manual or listening to them being described by a tutor trainer. They say it's especially helpful to see the strategies demonstrated in the videos and then to try them out immediately in a practice activity during the training.

More seasoned tutors participating in my reading workshops share the same feedback. Even though they've been tutors for quite awhile, many tutors feel unsure of how to teach the basics and mechanics of reading to beginning adult readers, using strategies such as the phonics approaches we've seen in the videos. They say the videos allow them to better understand what is expected of them when they work with emerging readers and this gives them the confidence they need to succeed.

Many developing adult readers have had negative experiences when they were learning to read as children. The prospect of trying to learn to read or improve their reading as adults can be really scary for these learners. Memories of shame, embarrassment, and an inability to perform tasks that were easy for others all contribute to the fear and anxiety that cause many learners to lack confidence that they can learn to read or improve their reading as adults because they can learn the way they learn best, rather than the way their school teacher wanted them to learn. Most adult learners have never experienced learner-centered learning and teaching that focuses on their strengths and abilities and relevant life experiences. They've never had their learning styles and preferences taken into account and catered to. They don't realize that learning can be a fun, positive experience with the right teacher or tutor, appropriate materials and effective instructional strategies targeted to their particular assessed needs. Overcoming all of this history is enormously challenging for most learners. 

English language learners may experience these same issues or they may have had positive learning experiences in their own countries. But many often also experience fear, anxiety and a lack of confidence as they enter into a learning venture that takes them out of their comfort zone and asks them to learn something so new and different, often while they're also struggling with the demands of their work, family and friends and personal lives. Learning to read in English brings with it fear, anxiety and a lack of confidence in different degrees depending on the educational level of the learner, their facility with languages, the time they have to devote to learning English, etc. But I've never seen a learner of any background walk into a situation in which they're going to work on lessons focusing on developing basic reading skills who didn't experience some level of fear, anxiety and a lack of confidence. Some programs have told me that they've used the videos to show their learners what a tutoring session in reading looks like to bolster the learners' confidence that they can succeed in this kind of learning and to help lessen their anxiety and fear around learning to read or improving their reading skills.

You are so right, Kathy, that both tutors and students face nagging, and often persistent, negative responses or emotions when starting the literacy journey. Which brings us to the issue of matching a tutor with an adult learner.    Working in volunteer literacy programs, I sometimes found that a tutor, even a very well-trained person, just didn't get along well with a learner, or vice-versa, for many different reasons, some related to cultural perceptions. In those cases, I found that it was very easy to simply rematch both with other people. Usually, both were far happier as a result. Changing the combination, like changing spices in a doubtful recipe, usually improves the results. As we discussed earlier in the week, the great match between tutor and student in our videos contributes immensely to the amount of learning that we watch take place. Leecy

Well said, Leecy! The match itself is so important. Most of the time we get it right, but when we don't, it's got to be fixed. 

I've also seen matches in which the learner and tutor were very happy with their personal relationship but no learning was taking place. One of the learners I worked with was a middle-aged native English speaker who was a very low level reader with severe learning disabilities. He had worked with a tutor for several years with no progress at all and he was still reading at the most basic level. When I started working in the program and reviewed all of the matches I was supporting, I saw that the tutor was an excellent match for high level learners, especially English language learners but he didn't have the interest in or skills necessary to work successfully with a low level reader, especially one with LD. After seeing there had been no progress for years, I gently but firmly insisted they both be rematched with more more suitable people. They both resisted strongly because they were very comfortable with each other and had become friends. I invited them to remain friends and to see each other for friendly meetings but remained firm that they HAD to be rematched.

I began working with the learner using the Wilson system of phonics instruction and although progress was slow and many days we experienced "one step forward, two steps back", there was marked progress and the learner FINALLY made significant and steady learning gains. And he was thrilled to see he was improving his reading and writing skills in real and demonstrable ways! The day he brought in the Valentine's Day card that he had selected himself for his wife for the first time in 25 years of marriage because he could now read the cards in the greeting card shop we both got teary. After a few years, the learner began working with a tutor who was a retired reading teacher from a local community college. That's when his learning and reading and writing skills REALY took off. She was much more skilled at teaching phonics than I was at the time and what a difference it made to that extremely patient and persistent learner!

Kathy - these videos have been excellent. While I am still in the process of viewing and reviewing them, as well as commenting on them, I do have a question. You mentioned you use these videos as a pre-training video to help tutors feel more confident that they can be successful working with Adult Basic or Adult Literacy Learners. We are having the same problem in our training as well. While a tutor may feel more confident to teach an ELL similar skills, they are less confident when we ask them to take on teaching a native English speaker who is having literacy difficulties.  We are also currently revamping our program. I am wondering if you could direct me to training programs for tutors that you use.  I have found both LINCS and the Minnesota Literacy Council to be helpful as well as Learner Web Tutor Ready Reading.  However we most likely only have a one two hour session to do the training and then occasional in service training.  I think the value of online continuing learning that is self-paced for the tutor can't be emphasized enough.  We are struggling, however, with what to do with the two hour in person training though! I know there is a plethora of information out there - I have researched it - but bringing all that information into one training session is proving to be difficult. I know one alternative would be to show some videos during the training session and work off of that to begin. . .Thanks for any resources you might be able to direct me towards. Renee

Thanks for your question, Calirenee. I'm so glad you've found the resources you listed helpful. That is just great. I'll try to point you towards other resources to explore in my response.

I have to say I wouldn't know where to begin if I had only two hours in which to train new volunteer tutors. All of the pre-service tutor trainings I've been involved with that help equip new tutors to gain even the most basic knowledge and skills that they need to work with both native English speakers or English language learners have been much longer. I'm not sure where you are but here in California most volunteer tutoring in adult basic literacy and ESL is done by library programs. The norm seems to be a "home-grown"  2 hour in-person orientation that informs prospective tutors about general issues in adult basic literacy and/or ESL, how adults learn and information that is specific to the individual program. Then there are two additional full days of face-to-face training during which lots of different strategies for teaching reading and writing, and in the case of English language learners, also listening and speaking skills is covered. I always find it exceedingly difficult to cover all of the most basic information I'd like new tutors to have in what usually totals about 15 hours of pre-service training. Assigning some of the videos for viewing between the orientation and first and second sessions of the training buys us a little more time and prepares the tutors for more productive discussions during the training. I always point the tutors to the relevant videos as we cover that particular reading strategy so they can review the information in real time when they need to use it with their learner.

The videos were never intended to be a substitute for tutor trainings. They are intended to supplement in-person pre-service and in-service trainings and to be available at the exact time a tutor realizes the need for a particular reading strategy for a particular learner. I'm a huge proponent of face-to-face tutor trainings, not only because that is how most programs prepare their tutors to work with learners but also because that is where you can gain so much information that helps you create successful tutor/learner matches.

I'm not sure why your program has such a limited timeframe in which to train your tutors but I'd encourage you to think of ways you could expand that timeframe. I know people are really busy these days and time, staff and funds are short for programs but most volunteer opportunities require fairly extensive training and I think most volunteers who are worth their salt expect to invest a decent amount of time learning how to become tutors. In fact, most of the time the new tutors I work with say they wish they'd had more training time than the 15 hours we provide!

I know different programs must operate under different constraints and I'm now feeling very fortunate to have always had the luxury of a 15-18 hour pre-service training plus in-service trainings in the programs I've worked with over the years. But for those programs that just can't make a longer training happen I'd like to provide some resources that might at least help tutors learn more independently.

Tutor Ready: Reading provides good basic information on the four components of reading and is a nice complement to an in-person training but it doesn't begin to cover everything tutors need to know about tutoring. If you are looking for more in-depth information for tutors on the four components of reading, you can find the more comprehensive Teaching Adult to Read: the Four Components of Reading online courses (which have the videos embedded in them) from which we developed Tutor Ready: Reading at:

https://www.learnerweb.org/LearnerWeb/LearnerWeb.html?region=literacyworks&locale=en&#REGION_HOME_PAGE

I'm not familiar with the following resources so I can't recommend them but this is what I found as a quick Google search for adult literacy tutor trainings.

Maybe you've already explored ProLiteracy's new online tutor training that you can learn more about at:

https://proliteracy.org/Professional-Development/Tutor-Training-2018

The Florida Literacy Coalition offers an online tutor training that features the videos we've been discussing. You can learn more about that at:

https://floridaliteracy.org/online_tutor_training.html

Literacy for Life in Virginia has this on its website:

http://www.literacyforlife.org/resources/tutor-training/

One final thought! When Read Santa Clara, my old program and one of the programs featured in the videos, found itself overstretched and in need of a creative solution to offering an extensive pre-service tutor training, they decided to train two of their most experienced and gifted volunteers to become the program's tutor trainers so staff could be freed up for other activities. This proved to be an inspired idea and the volunteer tutors have done a bang up job facilitating the trainings for years now. In fact, if you watch more of the videos, you will see them and you'll understand why they are so successful! Be on the lookout for Marilyn and Jane!

New beginners can also use this approach.  I create small stories for my students every month.  We do not have a curriculum for our students. As a supplement to the CVC words we are learning, I create a monthly story.  The word families we have practiced are recycled into the story to build confidence and to bring the word out of isolation and put it into context format. 

In thinking about how to bring a phonics-in-context approach into my stories, I could input slightly challenging words to provide the bridge from sounds and blends they know to the practice of utilizing the approaches learn to determine how to read the word.  They could use context clues to think whether the word they read makes sense. 

I see the phonics-in-context approach as a valuable workplace advantage.  If the students are presented with new information at work or even from your child's school this skill will allow them to engage with the print and determine the message being shared.

My biggest challenge would be time to be creative as I make the stories.  Sometimes I work from content the Oral teacher taught the month before. We are able to reuse, recycle and reinforce previously instructed vocabulary.  The question I will ask myself most often is, “How can I increase this just a little to help my students practice the art of solving the question of "How do I say this?"”

I really like all of the creative ideas and insights that you've shared here, Diana. Thank you!

I also prefer to create my own stories to reinforce phonics learning and to practice phonics in context. It does take time, but I find the more I do it, the faster I get at it. And I also find it fun. My learners seem to like it too! So while it is an investment in time and energy, I find it's worth it. I bet your stories are just wonderful and that your students look forward to them!

It takes time but I like making my own dictations / stories, too.   Sometimes they're catered to my student's interests.  It would be neat to have a library of them, say in an OER repository, so if we were overbooked time-wise we had a place to go.   I compiled a book of word lists by phonics pattern that needs to be out there... 

Susan, like you, I usually ended up creating my own content since I seldom found the right glove to fit so many hands. I love your idea of having a library of those!  It is relatively easy to post OER in oercommons.org. If there is an interest here, I am glad to walk folks through that process.

Also, I host the http://oerinadulted.org/g site and would be delighted to add any and all resources that anyone sends me. I hope that you do share your word lists by phonics patterns either on oercommons.org or here so that I can add it to the site I listed. Thanks! Leecy