Offering learners choices for reading

Hello colleagues, The only way to get better at reading is to read. There is no substitute for extensive reading! Accordingly, I have always been interested in finding ways to support learners to read more outside of class.

I came across this recent blog by high school teacher Jori Krulder that reminded me of the importance and power of offering choice in reading -- something that I haven't done as often as I want to. Furthermore, I like how Krulder checks in with learners about what they are reading through one-on-one reading conferences. I actually have had students conference with one another about the reading they do outside of class, and that has worked well.

What ideas do you have to encourage students to read for pleasure outside of class? What kind of structure would work well for checking in with learners about what they are reading? Since offering choice can be such an important motivator, what sources for reading can we share with learners that allow them to choose what they want to read?

Thanks for your thoughts and ideas on ways to support learners to read more!

Cheers, Susan Finn Miller

Moderator, Teaching & Learning CoP

Comments

Susan, thank you for sharing the link to a blog that has wonderful and varied ideas on how to promote reading among learners. We know that reading is a skill and, like all skills, it is learned through practice. We learn to do things by doing them a lot!    A few months ago we had a LINCS discussion on whether texting provides helpful reading and writing practice. In my view, it does. Most learners these days practice that form of language development and really enjoy it. That of course, is the key. If we like to do something, we do it a lot, and the more we do it, the better we get. Yes, academic reading and writing would require some transitioning into standard forms, but I believe that texting provides wonderful reading and writing practice that can lead to later academic performance.   The reading-to-learn process can invite learners to read for pleasure IF the content is written at an accessible reading level. So much engaging content is written above the 8th-grade reading level, especially if it deals with digital technology, which, in my view, would hook many of our learners outside of class.    To expose learners to pleasurable reading-to-learn experiences, our job might involve researching sites and resources that tutor students on how to apply digital skills in a variety of ways, written at lower (5ht-7th-grade) levels. The possibility is limitless. Imagine, for example, having teachers simplify open-resource tutorials on digital topics, share them with students, and then have them modify the content for others.    I did a quick search on OERCommons.org for Digital Tutorials for adult learners. Following two examples that I believe would engage our learners in reading for pleasure:
  1. https://www.oercommons.org/courses/digital-photography-tutorial/view -Introduction to digital cameras. Very accessible!
  2. https://digitallearn.org/courses/why-use-a-computer/lessons/computers-are-not-for-me - Digital Learn is a website with a variety of tutorials for adults who are new to using computers (on topics such as introduction to email, navigating a website, and online job searching). I love this resource! The tutorials include videos that have PDF transcripts, so students can read what they are hearing. Fun!

Leecy

We created Thinknology to get students to read more. The program includes articles covering a wide range of diverse topics where any adult would find something of interest. The articles are written specifically for adults at reading levels 4 through 9. These articles work very well with Jori Krulder's reading conferences since many of the articles provide a context for current events or are just fun stories. If anyone reading this post wants to check it out free of charge just go to http://thinknology.teachable.com/ then click on The Fighting for Equality Collection. Click on Purchase Collection and enter the coupon code GETSTUDENTSREADING.  This offer will be available until 9/21/18.

Mark