health literacy separate from education level?

A physician at my health system is leading a Patient Experience team and is focusing efforts on health literacy.  She has asked me if education level can be separated out from overall health literacy of a patient, and is there data or research available that speaks to the relationship between an individual's education level and their level of health literacy.  Can someone please comment on this and/or point me in the direction of resources that would address this?  Thank you!

Evonda Copeland, MLIS | Supervisor of Library Services and HealthConnect

Scottsdale Healthcare | Scottsdale, AZ 85251 | 480.882.5681 (t)

ecopeland@shc.org

Comments

Yes, there is a significant correlation between educational level and all (or at least most) measures of health literacy, but education level rarely explains more than 15 - 20% of the variance in measures of HL. By also knowing other demographic characteristics of the patient (e.g., age, sex, race, income) you can increase your ability to estimate a patient's level of HL, but even the combination of all of those demographic variables do not explain much more than 35 - 40% of the variance in HL.

This would be an amazing topic to explore. I would also think that different people would have different skill levels in types of HL, such as Numeracy, Financial, understanding of graphs and tables.  Maybe it could be a way to discover how the patient would best understand health information.  

There are at least three very different ways to look at the problem of measuring education levels for students interested in personal, family and community health:

1. Find out the health topics the students are interested in, assess their literacy and numeracy levels, then choose materials that match those levels, and offer them lessons in the topic(s) in which they are interested.

2. Find out the health topics the students are interested in, find good materials -- including audio and video materials  -- that address those interests/needs, and help (motivated) students to get the information they need from the materials, even if some require a stretch. In the process they can actually improve their literacy and numeracy skills.

3. Find out the health topics the students are interested in, and if they are also interested in making materials that will be effective with members of their community, help them to organize a health lliteracy project in which they make brochures, posters, presentation slides, mp3 (audio) files, and/or videos. Obviously, before they make these outreach materials, they need to gain expertise on the topic, and they will need to have a health expert in that topic area review their materials for accuracy. This project-based approach is highly motivating for many students, however, and through it the learners not only provide a useful community service but, as teachers know, when they prepare presentations and teach or present they will learn much, much more.

I recommend the second and third approaches. If designed well -- within the students' zones of proximal development (challenging but not out of reach to learn), adult learners who are motivated to learn more about a health topic so that theiy can improve their own lives, and the lives of family and community members, will learn a great deal more and will apply the knowledge.

Of course, those are different ways -- in an education context. In a health context, for example a hospital or clinic, what is most important -- to the patient and care providers -- is that the patient understands what s/he needs to, to prevent or manage a condition. I do not recommend that health care providers try to assess literacy or health literacy. Patients -- especially those with reading and writing difficulties -- often resent this. Instead, focus on providing a range of ways that patients can learn about their disease or condition, some which do not depend on reading, or which have audio or video alternatives that do not require reading. The caregiver can explain the options and ask which one(s) the patient prefers -- perhaps including talking with a caregiver skilled in explaining verbally -- without even asking about reading or numeracy skills, not to mention assessing them. Some numeracy skills can be taught in the context of managing a condition.

David J. Rosen

djrosen123@gmail.com

Health literacy provides better information in health care systems; due to health education people are getting reliable instruction to understand the importance of health care. We have found a worst health care system in our society and through which still people are suffering to get less support from health centers so we can say that we have found a link in between health and education.

clinics near me

Hi Evonda,

It's terrific that your healthcare system has a physician interested in championing health literacy to improve the patient experience.  I'd like to add to the discussion that a person's health literacy level is not a static thing.  It changes situationally.  Factors like heightened stress levels, complexity of the health issues and treatment options being discussed, medication side effects that impact cognition, hospital-acquired cognitive changes, and feelings of depression or anxiety can all negatively affect a person's ability to comprehend, process, and act upon health and treatment information in different clinical situations. Additionally, a person can have good comprehension and processing skills for health information, but face other barriers (that they may or may not feel comfortable sharing with a clinician) which prevent them from acting upon treatment recommendations and can be mistaken for non-comprehension. These all are very important things to consider in addition to a patient's educational attainment when trying to improve health communication and the patient experience.  In my observation this is especially true for hospital settings where stress tends to run quite high these days for both patients and providers and health education tends to be rushed.

Kate Singleton, MSW, LCSW Health Literacy Consultant for Adult Education, Social Work, and Health Care ksingletonlcsw@gmail.com Follow me on Twitter at @healthlitkate Check out the ESOL Health Literacy page on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/esolhealthliteracy