A question sent to me from the field

The following question was sent to me via message to post to the community:

Has anyone/any district/ any state worked on reorganizing the CCRS so that its flow is more logical than the original document? If so, I would like to have links and/or information. We are looking (for the 70-11th time) at our Adult Learning Standards and thinking someone somewhere has encountered the same issues of redundancy and jumping from one topic to another, then back to the first topic.

I should have mentioned that it is largely Levels B and C where we are encountering most of the disorganization. I understand how that happened - standards from several grades were cut and pasted into the CCRS. It is especially hard to backtrack (a teacher of level C should be able to look back at level B and easily discern what students know and can do in math. )

At level C we see the first five standards as follows:
Part 1 Generalize place value

Part 2 Use place value understanding and properties to perform multi-digit arithmetic

Part 3 Understand the place value system

Part 4 Perform operations with multi-digit whole #'s and decimals to 100ths

Part 5 Compute fluently with multi-digit numbers and find common factors and multiples

Post your responses to help out each other.

Brooke

Comments

If you are looking at flow, I like the Overview document on this page; it makes it easy to look back at the level before.  You can also find graphics of the flow of Fractions and of Number Lines.

I really appreciated Donny Curry's article "Where to Focus so Students Become College and Career Ready," where she points out that our students aren't always as linear as the levels... but yes, that looks confusing and convoluted!   

Curry D. Where to Focus so Students Become College and Career Ready. Journal Of Research & Practice For Adult Literacy, Secondary & Basic Education [serial online]. Spring2017 2017;6(1):62.

That's a good point, Susan. Certainly, a student in a level C class may, and most likely will, have performance at several levels, doing well on the content in some areas, but not in others.  Last quarter I had a student who said the answer to this  "5 + ? = 12" was 17, but she was good at memorizing procedures so (somehow) she could arrive at correct solutions to quite complex equations.  She could plug numbers into the area and volume formulas, but could not draw a diagram to show the area of a 4 X 2 rectangle. Does she know math? Hmmm...I am singing "Holey, holey, holey! Lord, her math is holey!"  After “successfully” completing high school Algebra I and II and geometry, Accuplacer placed her below Math 20, so she wound up in ABE classes. Thank goodness!

Dear Brooke,

The good people at ATLAS (Advanced Teaching and Learning Advancement System) in Minnesota created CCRS Math Content Progressions that are grouped by domain instead of by level. Those documents allow you to see how the content in each of the domains builds across the levels. The domains are (1) Algebra and Functions, (2) Number and Ratios: Understanding and Operations, (3) Geometry, and (4) Data, Probability, & Statistical Measurement. I'm not sure if this is exactly what you are looking for, but you might find them helpful.

http://atlasabe.org/resources/mni-toolkit/math-content-standards

yours in productive struggle,

Mark