Sylvia Greene video

Does anyone know if a video exists of the Sylvia Greene Informal Word Analysis Inventory being administered to an adult? Huge thank yous for any replies I get.

Comments

Di, my search didn't bring up any videos relating to your question. For those who would like more information on the inventory's approach, following are a few related resources:

Leecy

Di, and others,

In my search for a video of the Sylvia Greene Informal Word Analysis Inventory being administered to an adult (I haven't found it yet) I have found some other videos related to assessing adults' reading.

I would be interested, for those who can watch any, some or all of these, to hear your comments about them:

1. On the LINCS YouTube channel, Diagnostic Testing of Four Reading Sub Skills, Produced by the National Center for the Study of Adult Learning and Literacy, sponsored by Harvard University Graduate School of Education and World Education.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXUvAn_sDK8&list=PLImUeO1ttx1biHp5fHul5PxtIUIQU-sDd . This is a video of a tutor and adult learner working together to assess these sub skills.

2. Professional Development Kit (PDK) was a National Center for Adult Learning project, in collaboration with SRI International. It was funded in the 1990’s by the U.S Department of Education to create professional development tools for adult basic skills educators. Among the project’s products were videos of Dr. Richard Cooper working one-on-one with an adult literacy student named Anna Marie. These include an assessment video. http://www.mlots.org/rich/

3. For those who may also, or instead, be interested in videos of adult one-on-one tutoring sessions, the "go-to" collection of links to these will be found on the Media Library of Teaching Skills website, which I co-host,  at http://www.mlots.org/other-adult-learning-videos/reading/

David J. Rosen

djrosen123@gmail.com

I would be happy to comment on the videos from this batch that I have watched and found to be very helpful and informative. The Partners in Reading Adult Tutoring vidoes show a tutor woking with an adult student on many reading skills. I especially like the videos on phonemic awareness and phonics becuse those areas are of interest to me. The videos are short and are professionally done.

The series of videos from the NCFL is also very helpfu.l The modeling of direct instruction along with the modeling of the reading strategies is great. Rather than having one long video for each strategy, each strategy is demonstrated through a series of short videos.

I skimmed through the assessment video David recommeded from the LINKS Youtube channel and it looked like a great tool for teachers who are preparing to do reading assessments with individual students.

Thank you David for continuing to add to the collection of videos you have on MLots.

Thanks Di. I invite you -- and others -- to suggest links to adult basic skills classroom or tutoring videos that we might add to the MLoTS website. We think of the website as a "go to" collection of adult basic skills short videos, including ESL/ESOL videos. Those we have made offer a video window on authentic adult basic skills classrooms or tutorials,  and in the Other adult Learning Videos section of MLoTS we have included a wide range of adult basic skills professional development videos.

For those who may not familiar with it, or who have not visited it recently,   check out the free Media Library of Teaching Skills website.

David J. Rosen

djrosen123@gmail.com

I also do not know of a video demonstrating how to conduct the Sylvia Greene. However, I have trained many STAR managers, teachers, and volunteers in the process. Here is some learned information:

• The purpose is to determine English letter-sound patterns known and unknown.
  • Explain the purpose to students; reinforce that all-age readers need to know these patterns (not just children!).
  • The unknown patterns effectively inform the focus and sequence of phonics instruction.
  • It can be conducted as an individual reading or group spelling test.
  • All of the words are real, but may not be familiar.
  • Not all of words need to be presented or dictated; stop when the student(s) is/are struggling.
  • If needed, use a note card to slow down the word reading pace (and perhaps focus).
  • If needed, used a paper strip to cover the columns not being read.
  • For a modified version of 6 sequential lists, go to http://atlasabe.org/resources/ebri/ebri-diagnostic-assessment
  • For many free alphabetics resources, go to: http://atlasabe.org/resources/ebri/ebri-alphabetics

Thanks, Marn, for this list of lessons learned. Your materials have proven highly useful to many teachers.

Just so members know, these recommended materials have also been reviewed and are in the LINCS Resource Collection.

Beginning Alphabetics Tests and Tools

Teaching Analogy Phonics

Intermediate Word Study

Teachers who work with English learners, may be interested in checking out Heide Wrigley's reading demonstration video.

I'd love to hear how teachers are approaching teaching reading as well as any questions you have about teaching print-based skills.

Cheers, Susan Finn Miller

Moderator, English Language Acquisition and Teaching & Learning CoPs