Readability Assessments and Practices

If you work with ABE learners, you know how challenging it is to find engaging content that is not childish, especially on the Internet.

How do you determine the reading level of content that you find on the Web or elsewhere? How do you assess the reading levels of content that you create for your students?

This site offers links to eleven (11) free readability calculators, among them a few oldies but goodies like the Gunning Fog Index, Fry Graph, and Flesch-Kincaid: http://www.readabilityformulas.com/search/pages/Free_Readability_Calculators/  -  

I have used some of the above formulas extensively over the years and, probably like you, can predict the readability level just by reading a few sentences in the passage. What happens when an engaging "open" passage is too difficult but perfect for your ABE/ASL learners?

I have found the following tips to really help get started. In fact, I've had more advanced students rewrite content for lower readers following this simple mantra: keep it short, direct, and, sometimes repetitive!

1. Shorten the whole passage.
  2. Shorten the sentences. Simple sentences are best overall, with a few possible compounds here and there. No complex!
  3. Shorten words and concepts.
  4. Use active voice.
  5. Use simple tenses.
  6. If unfamiliar vocabulary is used, repeat it 3-5 times in the passage.

I challenge you share your simplified version for any level of one or more selected passages taken from OERCommons.org and posted on https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bAmwd5lCii6js0T0Z0tru9_YTByAW4-0/view?usp=sharing.

Don’t be shy! Give it a try!  Leecy

Leecy Wise
R&W CoP

Comments

Thanks Leecy,  These are great to have.  One simple way to estimate if a reading is too difficult for a students is to have them look at a passage or part of a passage that is about 100 words.  Have them circle the words they don't understand in the passage.  If the number is greater than 5, then it is too difficult.  I do this with novels when I"m using the fluency first approach.  Often a page of a novel as 10 or 11 lines, but if not just count the number of words, usually about 9 -11 words are in a line.  A student needs to be able to read 95% of the words.  or it is too difficult.  The reading gets easier when a person can read 99% of the words.  

Jackie, thanks for commenting on a wonderful way to assess whether a passage/book is appropriate for students. I really like that it is fast and easy, and promises to be reliable since, as you noted, "A student needs to be able to read 95% of the words, or it is too difficult." Your profile says that you retired from teaching at the University of Georgia and are now involved in a community based adult ESL program. Great! Would you be willing to share one or more books or other resources that you have found engaging among ABE and/or ESL students? 

I also heartily support your fluency-first approach, which immerses students in the language before addressing grammar issues in language learning. In fact, I am now cross-posting this discussion with the LINCS ELA community to invite more folks to comment.

I hope that other readers here will also drop in with their suggestions as well for reading materials and for assessing the readability level of content! You are all again cordially invited to post your samples for lowering the reading levels of the passages posted on the Google pages listed above! If you wish, I'll post my own sample to start us off! Leecy

Leecy Wise
Moderatory
R&W CoP

Thanks Leecy,

Two colleagues and I published four books with the Title: A Novel Approach, and we combined books and movies to teach post secondary students in an IEP reading.  The books we wrote were published by the University of Michigan Press but are now out of print, but the are Being There, Fried Green Tomatoes, Shoeless Joe, and TheShawshank Redemption.  We also did one for The Color Purple.  However U of Mich press wouldn't publish it as it was too controversial.  So we have that in ms and would love to post it somewhere. Each of the books gives the details about how to teach those chapters, and uses all of the strategies for teaching a novel with a movie.   I have continued to use this approach in GED programs with a lot of success.  I have somewhere in my files lists of books that I've used and will find and post them to the listserv in a few days. 

Those are very promising comments, Jackie. You mentioned wanting to post your work on The Color Purple somewhere. I am curious about the content that you and  your colleagues published . Were those instructional packages for teaching the books, and students would then buy the books to complete activities? If so, would you consider posting your work on The Color Purple as OER? If I can help in that regard, let's talk more: leecywise@gmail.com.

I know that other readers here join me in looking forward the list your mentioned. Are any of those suitable for ABE or ESL students? Hat's off in your direction with thanks to your colleagues as well for helping adults read better using very engaging approaches! Leecy