Intro to Workforce Prep, what was missing.

Hello my fellow Adult Ed folks,

I have just recently started my work as Adult Ed Coordinator and am fascinated at how much there is to it; and pleasantly surprised.  

I believe there is much to this profession including needing to become part of the community you serve.  Getting to know employers and non profits that work with your students so you know who is out there helping those that need employment, homes, babysitters, etc.  You, in a some ways are another type of case manager to your students.  This could be a topic that could call for more information.  A day in the life of a student and her Adult Ed teacher... Then we could dive more into the problem solving topics that have been mentioned and make them more pertinent to the population that we are serving.  

Comments

Hi, Nancy -

Thanks for your post, and sharing your perspective as a program coordinator.  I agree with you.  We need to break down the traditional silos of how we think about supporting adult learners.  I'd be all for hosting the type of event that you suggest if there's an interest in the community. 

What do others think about about  " A day in the life of a student and her Adult Ed teacher..." to "dive more into the problem solving topics that have been mentioned and make them more pertinent to the population that we are serving"?  

Mike Cruse

Career Pathways Moderator

michaelcruse74@gmail.com