Online Learning Environments (platforms) and free or Inexpensive Online Resources for Blended Learning for Adults

Integrating Technology and Program Management Colleagues,

I am often asked about online learning environments (i.e.platforms) and other online resources for blended learning. I am opening a new discussion about that here now.

• Do you use blended learning (i.e. integrated online and in-person learning) in your adult education program or school?
  • If so, what free or proprietary platform -- e.g. learning management system or course management system do you use?
  • How do you use it?
  • How do you like it?
  • How could it be improved?

For those who contribute at least one question, comment or answer to this discussion, I will send you a link to a free, online, recently updated five-page list of Examples of Online Learning Environments (platforms) and free or Inexpensive Online Resources for Blended Learning for Adults. I'll send you a link to it using your LINCS in-mail address.

If you're considering getting a new or additional online platform for your blended learning program, post your questions here about what you want to know about it. Others who use that platform, please respond with your experiences as a teacher, tutor or program manager using the platform.

Let's hear your questions, answers, and comments about your online learning platforms now!

David J. Rosen, Moderator

LINCS CoP Integrating Technology and Program Management groups

Comments

Hi David - thanks for the question and I look forward to receiving the list.

We use Google Drive (and google docs) for students to share their work - especially resumes, cover letters, etc. I use the Drive to share many documents, assignments, classroom hand outs, MP3 recordings and other learning tools for them to easily access.

Unfortunately, because google docs is for sharing docs - it's hard/clunky to create distinct folders for students to do their own work (e.g. resumes) without overwriting each other's work. I've devised a system that's far from elegant - and the students may not easily understand how to use it - especially those who work from their phone. I'm always looking for free alternatives.I'm thinking of groups.io but haven't had time yet to look into in.

Thanks Mev!

Google Drive is a great free platform for adult learners to share their work with teachers and with each other, and for making available learning resources of all kinds: lessons, including HyperDoc lessons;  videos; podcasts and other MP3's; assessment tools using Google Forms; teacher-made OERs; and much more. Thanks, too, for the suggestion of "groups.io". Anyone here use that? If so, please tell us how, with whom, for what, and what you like and don't like about it.

Mev, I'll be sending you the link to the list of online learning environments/platforms today!

Who's next to tell us about what online learning platform you use, how you use it, with whom, and what you like and don't like about it?

LINCS CoP Integrating Technology Group

Hello colleagues,

I was asked what the  document includes, so.....

Table of Contents:

1. Content Management Systems (CMS) (Page 1)

1. Proprietary/Commercial (Page 1)

2. Free (Page 2) 

2.  Learning Management Systems / Online Learning Platforms (Page 3)

1. Proprietary/Commercial  (Page 3)

2. Free (Page 4)

3. Free or inexpensive online file storage systems (Page 4)

4. Free or Open Education Resources (OERs) for Adult Learners (Page 5)

I hope that helps. Mev miller said that with the link I sent the document was easy to access.

LINCS CoP Integrating Technology group

Hello! We are beginning to use Google Classroom (GC) with students. Last year, our state used GC to organize our adult education PLCs. This gave instructors the opportunity to experience GC from the student perspective and to become familiar with the platform in general.

Programs are now using GC as a platform to connect with students, make announcements, and provide learning opportunities outside of face-to-face class time. Some programs also use GC as a platform to implement learning plans with students who cannot attend face-to-face classes (in conjunction with Zoom meetings).

Great things about GC: simple interface and enrollment, integrates seamlessly with other Google apps, it’s free!, announcements and assignments can be scheduled, and more sites – such as CommonLit and OER Commons – are adding a GC “button” that allows users to load content directly to a classroom

Not-so-great things about GC: Forms (used for creating quizzes and practice activities) is pretty limited compared to quiz features in other LMSs, if you have an organizational Google account (such as with a school district) – you cannot be enrolled in any “outside” GCs with your district email address (this was a hurdle for the state-wide PLCs)

I’d love to connect with other programs using GC with students!

Emily Bosley
Kentucky Skills U

Thanks Emily. Your suggestion for using Google Classroom is very welcome. I will send you the link to the document with free and other online learning platforms.

Anyone else who would like to offer suggestions of free or proprietary online platforms you have used, describe how you use them, and what you like and don't like about them?

Anyone else use Google Classroom? What has been your experience?

LINCS CoP  Integrating Technology group

Hi all,

For programs using Google classroom, can you tell me how you handle personal identifiable information used in any registration processes for Google classrooms? I am hearing some programs are concerned about how data is maintained when using Google Classrooms. Any insight would be appreciated. 

Sincerely, 
Kathy Tracey

David and Colleagues,

Thanks for the opportunity to share information about online learning platforms. I launched LearningFRONT in 2009 as a professional learning platform to improve teaching and student learning in K-adult, teacher training, on-the-job employer training, and professional development venues, including adult education professional learning. The following links provide information related to the questions you posed about online learning environments. I look forward to your feedback and questions.

Nick
nickhobar@learningfront.com

What is LearningFRONT?

https://www.learningfront.com/Media/LF_AboutUs_v1.pdf

LearningFRONT Professional Learning Platform

https://www.learningfront.com/Media/LF_LDLC.pdf

Example LearningFRONT Tool

https://www.learningfront.com/Media/TaskBuilder_2019.pdf

A Virtual-Only Perspective on Blended Learning PD

http://learningfront.blogspot.com/2019/07/a-flipped-virtual-professional-learning.html

LearningFRONT Blog: More back stories, examples and ideas

http://learningfront.blogspot.com

Cost: Free 30-day start-up with professional and customized plans for individuals and organizations.

https://www.learningfront.com/lfpaypalplans.cfm

Hello Integrating Technology and Program Management Colleagues,

I would like to clarify the purpose of the post below. I wrote:

I am often asked about online learning environments (i.e.platforms) and other online resources for blended learning. I am opening a new discussion about that here now.

Do you use blended learning (i.e. integrated online and in-person learning) in your adult education program or school?

• If so, what free or proprietary platform -- e.g. learning management system or course management system do you use?
  • How do you use it?
  • How do you like it?

For those who contribute at least one question, comment or answer to this discussion, I will send you a link to a free, online, recently updated five-page list of Examples of Online Learning Environments (platforms) and free or Inexpensive Online Resources for Blended Learning for Adults. I'll send you a link to it using your LINCS in-mail address.

If you're considering getting a new or additional online platform for your blended learning program, post your questions here about what you want to know about it. Others who use that platform, please respond with your experiences as a teacher, tutor or program manager using the platform.

Let's hear your questions, answers, and comments about your online learning platforms now!

I intended the discussion to be adult basic skills practitioner-to-practitioner, providing an opportunity for adult basic skills teachers, tutors, and program administrators/leaders to share how they use online learning platforms in blended learning for students in adult basic skills programs and adult schools. This is an opportunity for teachers, tutors or program administrators/leaders to describe what platform(s) they currently use, how they use them, and to explain what they like or do not like about the platform they use. It could also be an opportunity for practitioners to ask others here about how they use particular online learning platforms. 

A few people have responded with information about the platform they use and, in turn, they have received a link to a free publication, Examples of Online Learning Environments (platforms) and free or Inexpensive Online Resources for Blended Learning for Adults.

I hope that more people will reply this week.  Please consider responding, yourself!

LINCS CoP Integrating Technology and Program Management grouos

Hello colleagues,

I'm puzzled by why so few Integrating Technology and Program Management members have answered the questions I posted about what online platforms you use, and how you like them. Could you take a few minutes and reply now so that we all learn from your experience?  For those who contribute at least one question, comment or answer to this discussion, I will send you a link to a free, online, recently updated five-page list of Examples of Online Learning Environments (platforms) and free or Inexpensive Online Resources for Blended Learning for Adults. I'll send you a link to it using your LINCS in-mail address.

Do you use blended learning (i.e. integrated online and in-person learning) in your adult education program or school?

• If so, what free or proprietary platform -- e.g. learning management system or course management system -- do you use?
  • How do you use it?
  • How do you like it?

Also, If you're considering getting a new or additional online platform for your blended learning program, post your questions here about what you want to know about it. Others who use that platform, please respond with your experiences as a teacher, tutor or program manager using the platform.

Hello!

I will begin teaching HSE classes in January for the first time so I am looking for tools to help become an effective and successful instructor.  I currently teach different types of certifications in our local jail, as well as to local industry through our ABE program.  I don't utilize any online platforms but would like to learn how to do so in an effort to provide my students with additional instruction for those that need it.  I would also like to be able to communicate with everyone more easily when there are announcements to be made.  As I teach the classes more, I am critiquing my syllabus and would like to be able to set the classes up all the same each time I provide the class.  

So to answer your question, we don't utilize a blended learning environment at this time, but would like to be able to offer it, especially for distance learning hours as requested by the state.

I look forward to following this discussion with hopes of learning how to provide this tool to my students.

Thank you!

Stacey King

Hello Stacey,

You wrote:

"I will begin teaching HSE classes in January for the first time so I am looking for tools to help become an effective and successful instructor."

If by "tools" you mean online learning platforms, you have at least these three kinds of choices:

1. You can create your own curriculum. This would ideally be the same curriculum or syllabus you use in class and that students use online. You will need an online storage system of some kind: a learning management system or an online file storage system. You will also need to create your curriculum outline (syllabus) and lessons, or to find free or Open Education Resource (OER) lessons for each part of the curriculum outline. You would place these in your online storage system.

2. You can purchase an online high school equivalency course, ideally one that has a built-in course management system that will enable you to know how each student using the online course is doing. You could use this as a supplement to what you are doing in class, or you could supplement in class parts of the online course curriculum where students seem to be getting stuck.

3. You could do both 1 and 2, for example by creating your own online lessons or finding OER online lessons to supplement your your purchased online curriculum.

I will send -- to your LINCS email -- a link to the "Examples of Online Learning Environments (platforms) and free or Inexpensive Online Resources for Blended Learning for Adults," that has examples of these. You might also want to look at these three guides that teachers and administrators who are new to blended learning have often found helpful:

You wrote, "I would also like to be able to communicate with everyone more easily when there are announcements to be made."

Many adult education teachers and administrators use an app called Remind to remind their students. Others ask their students what smartphone communications or social media apps they already use, such as Facebook, What's App, and others, and if (nearly) everyone uses the same one, they use that to send everyone reminders. There are also other ways that teachers and administrators use to reminds students. I hope others here will chime in to let us all know what digital tools you have found useful for reminding students.

You wrote, "As I teach the classes more, I am critiquing my syllabus and would like to be able to set the classes up all the same each time I provide the class." 

Some of the free online learning management systems, and most of the proprietary online course management systems such as those included in the document whose link I will send you, will enable you to enroll students by class.You can then also track individual student progress by class.

Hello Stacey,

In a comment today on the LINCS Professional Development group, Julie Neff-Encinas wrote, "Now we use the website: https://freesmsgateway.info/  to send texts as emails to phones.  My teachers like it almost as much as the other one.  It is pretty simple.  Just enter the phone number to gather the network they are on and it provides you the right way to send an email to a phone."

Perhaps this would be worth checking out as a free reminder.

David J. Rosen

LINCS CoP Integrating Technology group

I use the Remind app all the time!  It is very user-friendly and can be used on any phone that can text.  Students can also get messages via email, but all of mine use texting.  Wonderful 2-way communication tool. We have started using Google Classroom to post content and assignments - it keeps students (and us) organized and accountable.