Discussion of an OTAN TTT professional development video, “Chromebooks for Beginning ESL"

Hello ESL/ESOL Colleagues,

I would like to invite you to join the Integrating Technology group on Thursday December 12th and Friday December 13th for a discussion of an OTAN TTT professional development video, “Chromebooks for Beginning ESL,” with video presenter, Alisa Takeuchi. To join the Integrating Technology group, go to https://community.lincs.ed.gov/help/how-do-i-join-or-leave-group.  Below is the announcement I just posted about this discussion in the Integrating Technology Group.

In June I called your attention to OTAN Tech Talks, 12 free adult basic skills (several for adult ESL teachers) professional development videos, most of which are under 30 minutes. On Thursday, December 12th, and Friday, December 13th, we will have an opportunity to chat with Alisa Takeuchi here about the OTAN TTT professional development video she made called “Chromebooks for Beginning ESL.” This video, available here, is less than 13 minutes long. Please look at it before Thursday, December 12th, and post your questions for Alisa here as soon as you can. Incidentally, in the video, Alisa asks you to consider: why you want to use Chromebooks, or more hands-on technology with your students, and what you think will be the challenges.  Feel free to respond to these questions once our discussion begins on Thursday, December12th.

The video has the following parts:

1. Objectives and planning

2. Execution

3. Hindsight (reflections)

4. Apps, Extensions and Websites

Here’s a short bio that Alisa has written for us:

My name is Alisa Takeuchi, and I currently teach Beginning Literacy ESL to adults at Lincoln Education Center in Garden Grove, CA. I have been teaching adults for over 22 years, and I started my ESL career in Seoul, South Korea, teaching there for 5 years. In 2003, I helped start the EL Civics program at our agency and eventually became the Coordinator. In 2016, I started working with one of the three California state leadership programs Outreach and Technical Assistance Network (OTAN) as a Subject Matter Expert. (SME) This job allows me to present at numerous conferences, workshops, and trainings teaching teachers and support staff in Adult Education how to use more technology in the classroom and at their school site. Bringing more technology to students is my passion. I believe that all students can gain English language proficiency through tech skills to help diminish some of the many barriers they already face, and I create lessons to help them reach their goals. All students at any English level can benefit from more computer literacy, but this holds especially true at the beginning level.

I look forward to having you join in on this discussion whether you are a new or experienced Chromebook user or just curious.

David J. Rosen, Moderator

LINCS CoP Integrating Technology group

Comments

Hello English language teaching colleagues,

Today (Thursday, December 12th) and tomorrow, Alisa Takeuchi will be with us in the LINCS CoP Integrating Technology group to answer your questions about the 12-minute OTAN professional development video, “Chromebooks for Beginning ESL" in which she presented how she used Chromebooks with her beginning level English language students. I hope you have had a chance to view the video and have some questions, too. Thanks to  Leecy Wise and Robert Wessel, who have already viewed the video and commented. I hope other teachers here will join in with their comments and questions, too.

To read the conversation, just go the Integrating Technology group; however, to add a comment or question, you will need to join the group. After joining, you can always leave the group at any time to avoid getting future posts.

Thanks.

David J. Rosen, Moderator

LINCS CoP Integrating Technology and Program Management groups