Journal Article: Blended Learning Program Development

I am pleased to share an article from volume one, issue two of the new ProLiteracy peer-reviewed, online research journal, Adult Literacy Education: The International Journal of Literacy, Language, and Numeracy. This article is written by David J. Rosen, Newsome Associates. 

"The focus of the Technology Solutions for Adult Basic Skills Challenges column begins with common challenges facing adult basic skills practitioners, expressed, for example, in [this] LINCS Integrating Technology group for which I am the moderator, in other LINCS groups, in my national and state conference or webinar presentations, or privately in face-to-face discussions or by phone or email. Solutions to these problems, at least in part through the use of technology, include: hardware such as desktop and laptop computers, smartphones, electronic tablets, VR Goggles, and electronic whiteboards; and digital software applications such as websites, course management systems, learning management systems, databases, and apps for mobile devices. Each article begins with a challenge and examines one or more possible technology solutions." 

Download the full article here. It is encouraged to leave your questions in this discussion thread.  

Comments

Hello Integrating Technology colleagues,

Thanks, Randy, for flagging my Technology Solutions for Adult Basic Skills Challenges column in the ALE Journal, and highlighting this particular ALE Journal issue. Everyone, the journal is free, online, and its articles, and my column, are downloadable. 

In my column in this issue, "Blended Learning Program Development," I define blended learning as "the integration of online learning with face-to-face learning", and explain that "it is not just adding technology, or even adding online learning technology, to face-to-face learning, which is sometimes referred to as hybrid learning; true blended learning requires integrating face-to-face learning with online learning." The adult basic skills program challenge that I identify is the need for help with blended learning planning and program development. As solutions, I urge forming a program planning team, offer some questions to guide the team, and describe two major resources to help team members.

I might mention that Jen Vanek -- Director of the IDEAL Consortium at World Education -- a partnership of states that are doing distance and blended learning --  and I are co-writing a new (free, online) guide on blended learning that will be published soon by ProLiteracy's New Readers Press. When it's available we'll announce that here.

Let me take this opportunity to ask everyone:  What are your technology challenges as an adult basic skills teacher, tutor, or program or adult school manager?  I may take on your challenge in a future ALE journal column, or you might get some immediate help here in Integrating Technology from me and from others.

David J. Rosen, Moderator

LINCS CoP Integrating Technology group