Flexible English Rules

People tend to think of language rules as rigid standards to be implemented by the well-educated in our society in speaking, reading, and writing. 

We often discuss common challenges faced by beginning or even more advanced English-language learners. What challenges do you constantly face as a proficient English speaker? I know that there are items that I constantly recheck in my mind.

Do single quote marks go inside or outside of a double quote? Do I use a comma in "not only...but"? Does that quotation mark go before or after the question mark in that kind of sentence? 

Even among well-educated native speakers who are constantly before the public (commentators, politicians, teachers...), I hear a violation of good grammar. Maybe I should say, correct grammar, since "good" is such a subjective term. 

For example, I hear object pronouns constantly used with linking verbs and as subjects, such as "me, too" and "Those are definitely him and her." "How did the officer know it was them?" Hmm... 

When do I use a colon instead of a dash? What's the difference between a dash and a hyphen? How do I write a dash symbol on my keyboard?

Thankfully, if I get stuck and forget the rule while I'm writing, I can simply Google the answer. Hmm.... should that be "google or Google the answer"? Should that question mark be inside or outside the last quotation mark? 

What are some of your challenges? Leecy

Comments

Regarding our general and accepted, if not acceptable, misuse of English grammar even among the best educated, do you think we would be wise to stop or avoid correcting student writing and speaking when the errors occur around issues that even our most educated struggle to correct?    For example, is it wise to continue to insist that our students, native and non-native speakers, always correctly use subject pronouns when object pronouns are incorrectly used in everyday language? Do we need to continue to spend time having our English learners show that they know the difference between lay and lie in all of their tenses?   Would it be helpful or advisable to share links like the following among our students? Do you have other sites that you use and recommend that students explore on their own?   Leecy

Leecy, thanks for both your outstanding comments here!  I do hope group members will contribute to the grammar discussion and add resources.  Please do not feel intimidated to post.  One does not need to be an "expert" to post!  One just needs to be willing to share their ideas.  

About your comment on grammar, I was raised hearing the terms proper and improper grammar.  How can we help our students see the difference? 

First, let's use the terms formal vs. informal grammar instead.  We can start a discussion on what formal vs. informal is by talking about things like clothes or occasions.  Then we can talk about how we speak differently while texting with our friends (informal) versus formal conversations we may have during a job interview or while talking with an important person.  

I like to use a simple T chart that has the words Formal and Informal at the top of each column.  I would then write something in text language in the informal column.  As a group, we could translate it into formal language on the other side of the T chart and write it in the formal column.  We could go through several more examples that preferably the students provide.  This would help students see the difference in informal vs. formal style while also teaching grammar in the context of our students' writing. 

I would love to hear more thoughts on ways to teach formal grammar!   

I like your idea, Steve.    Two terms that are often used are standard and non-standard speech. When helping students develop correct speech patterns, those labels keeps learners from feeling that their everyday speech is incorrect or "improper."    In that regard, I am reminded of second language learning, where we totally support and appreciate the native language of students while still helping them learn another language. I think of it in musical terms as wanting to learn the violin although one plays the piano. :) Keep your informal speech or writing, but also learn the language of essays and college-level writing. Both are correct in their own environments.   Now when it comes to instructional practices, I have observed students drowning in boredom listening to teachers who focus on correcting errors instead of having students simply practice correct patterns. "Today, we are going to learn the difference between object and subject pronouns!" (Yawns...) Why focus on errors?    I hope someone will start the T chart. Sounds like fun. Leecy

Hello colleagues, Thanks for opening up this discussion, Leecy.  I rcall my former linguistics professor telling our class that teachers should prioritize (so-called) "stignatized" aspects of grammar in instruction. I'm curious what specific points of grammar members might consider "stigmatized." This could very well be a fraught question these days.

Cheers, Susan Finn Miller

Moderator, English Langauge Acquisition CoP

Susan, I love the label "stigmatized" and the invitation to prioritize those grammar practices. The term, aside from having its own meaning, leads me to think of stigmatism, another word for astigmatism, a condition that relates to lack of focus in vision. I wonder if those two might be related in some ways! Hmm... :)

Here's one example that I would add to our list: "Today, we are going to discuss the nine parts of speech in English. Write these down." Leecy