Black History Month: Fanny Lou Hamer

Hello colleagues, In my class, we just completed a lesson on Fanny Lou Hamer, the inspirational icon of the Civil Rights Era. I used an Anticipation Guide with this text Fannie Lou Hamer (1917-1977) Testimony Before the Credentials Committee at the Democratic National Convention Atlantic City, New Jersey - August 22, 1964. We also watched this 3-minute American Experience video  on YouTube, Fannie Lou Hamer's Powerful Testimony | Freedom Summer  In addition, I shared an audio file and transcript of Hamer's full testimony to the Credentials Committee with the students.

Learning about Fanny Lou Hamer is a wonderful way to honor Black History Month. Here are some additional teaching resources from PBS related to this heroic figure in black history.

Please let us know how you are honoring black history this month or any time of the year!

Cheers, Susan Finn Miller

Moderator, English Language Acquisition and Teaching & Learning CoPs

Comments

What a great choice for a lesson!  Fannie Lou Hamer famously said, "Nobody's free until everybody's free!"  

In the American Experience clip, it is amazing to see how President Johnson was so afraid of Fannie Lou Hamer's remarks being broadcast live on TV that he make a hastily prepared speech that basically said nothing.  The move backfired when TV news saturated their broadcasts that night with her speech.  What a tremendously courageous woman! 

What a great choice for a lesson!  Fannie Lou Hamer famously said, "Nobody's free until everybody's free!"  

In the American Experience clip, it is amazing to see how President Johnson was so afraid of Fannie Lou Hamer's remarks being broadcast live on TV that he made a hastily prepared speech that basically said nothing.  The move backfired when TV news saturated their broadcasts that night with her speech.  What a tremendously courageous woman!