Regularly Updated List of Resources (mostly) from the LINCS Discussion: Preparing for and offering adult basic skills online during the pandemic

Colleagues,

A regularly updated list of resources,  primarily from the LINCS Discussion: Preparing for and offering adult basic skills online during the pandemic will be found here.

David J. Rosen, Moderator

LINCS CoP Integrating Technolpgy and Program Management groups

Comments

A few weeks ago, when public schools began to close their doors, I began to think "What will be next for my community college Continuing Ed program."Will we be next?" I thought to myself. Before I could finalize my thought; it was happening. I received the email. "College closed until further notice." I thought, Will I lose my job? Maybe we will go to online classes as well." Although we (instructors) have not been told that we may move to teaching online classes, I have a feeling that this is what is coming. Will our teaching contracts be in jeopardy if students do not have computers at home? Although, I find teaching online classes idea a bit scary, I have become very open to it, and actually welcome the "idea," but my fickleness asks How long will it last? Will I miss the classroom or being face to face with students or will I succumb to the idea, and enjoy teaching online in my sweatpants?

Hi, Yvette -

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us.  It sounds like you're asking yourself similar questions as the rest of us.  In conversations with colleagues in my district these past couple of weeks, I've gotten the impression that there are a lot of factors at play with regard to access, scheduling, etc.  I've also noticed some differences between teachers of different subjects.  While some subjects seem more able to transfer learning into virtual formats, others are really struggling.  For example, I've read several articles about visual and performing arts students at the post-secondary level demanding some of their tuition dollars be returned.  Their arguments are that the subject simply cannot be translated to virtual learning.

I wonder what subject(s) you teach, and how you feel about the capacity of teaching and learning it 100% virtually?  How do we transfer 'soft skills' or 'personal skills' to a virtual classroom?  What about IET programs, or other career training programs that require specialized technology, or resources beyond an internet-enabled device and wireless connection?  I certainly have more questions than answers at this point.  I think the first step is asking, and then seeing what others are trying to make work during this adjustment period?  As the saying goes, "Necessity is the mother of invention."

Mike Cruse

Career Pathways Moderator

michaelcruse74@gmail.com

Good Morning, everyone! Wherever and whenever you are I hope you are all well! 

I would like to know what your experience has been moving all your F/LB/HB ESL students to online. Our instructors are finding that with this sudden move to all online due to the pandemic, some of our students are very slowly and in some cases reluctantly moving towards all online. Thanks so much!

Anneliesse Prahl