Online Course: The Role of Culture in the Education of Adult English Language Learners

Use this discussion thread to post your response to the question below from the ELL-U online course, The Role of Culture in the Education of Adult English Language Learners. Please share your comments to any of the questions below, or post general comments or your feedback on the course.

1. What strategies, activities, or methods have you used as a culturally competent teacher? What have you observed in other teachers?
  2. What did you discover about your own assumptions? How has going through the DIE stages helped you see new perspectives? What challenges did you experience and how did you overcome them? Were any of the stages more difficult than others? How can you use the DIE inquiry strategy to address cultural assumptions and cultural dilemmas that arise in classrooms with adult ELLs?
  3. Share your thoughts around which items shown below would be designated “big C” and “little c”. Which items might be debatable as to their designation? Why?
  • Beloved by Toni Morrison
  • Star Wars by George Lucas
  • a McDonald’s® menu
  • Jeremy Lin
  • a Groupon voucher
  • Madonna
  • Betsy Ross’ flag
  • The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
  • iPods®
  • baseball
  • The Great Depression
  • a bus ticket
  • a Coke® can
  • The White House
  • Facebook
  1. Culture plays a critical role in teaching and learning. How has the content in this course helped you better understand your own cultural investments, perspectives, and values? What are some strategies you will use to facilitate a culturally inclusive learning environment and facilitating (cross) cultural understanding among all members of the class?

Comments

I would like to think that I haven’t looked at my students as a single story. As the speaker pointed out, we tend to hold on to what we see and read in the media, which sadly is mostly negative and/or belittling information.

I know that not all Mexicans are in gangs or drug dealers but that is what is shown. I also know that not all Mexicans work in fields harvesting food but that is what is shown. I know that not all Africans live in dusty mud huts but that is what is shown. I say all of that to say, I try my best not to see my students through a single story because I know they are more than just that one thing.

Hi Ronita, The single story video included in this online course is so powerful. It really made me think about our human tendency to stereotype. Thanks for sharing your insights.

Cheers, Susan Finn Miller

Moderator, English Langugae Acquisition

Without knowing anything about the DIE model, I believe I was approaching culture learning in a very similar way. I went through the 3 stages but I think I did them simultaneously. Going through the DIE stages has helped me to go through them not judgmental but with eyes of a learner who is seeking knowledge about the culture. I find that description is the most challenging for me. When I am in the descriptive stage my observations can be somewhat negative just like the first conversation shared. I was able to overcome this difficulty by changing the negative connotations in my description and describing my observations without judgment.

I think the way that the DIE inquiry strategy was used in section 3 is the best way to address cultural assumptions and dilemmas in the classroom. As the teacher, I can show a video and go through the stages of DIE demonstrating  the appropriate way to approach culture learning. 

I think using the Funds of Knowledge inquiry and the DIE model  are awesome ways to facilitate a culturally inclusive learning environment and facilitating (cross) cultural understanding among all members of the class as well as the teacher. Having identified strengths among individuals and families through sharing will open further discussions and interactions for all to learn about cultures.

Hi Ronita, Thanks for sharing your additional thoughts about the ELLU Role of Culture online course. Finding ways to discover the skills and abilities, i.e., the funds of knowledge, that learners already possess is so valuable. We can invite learners to share their expertise with the class and build on those skills and abilities to further their language development.

You suggested showing a video to walk through the DIE process with a class. This seems like a great idea. Let us know how it goes!

Moderator, English Language Acquisition

I believe it is crucial to get to know your students' cultural backgrounds. If I don't learn about their cultures then I may very well be setting them up for failure as each one may have different learning styles, communication methods and class participation. I often find I am the student and learn just as much from my student's cultures and backgrounds. I present a workshop titled "Stereotype Awareness" in my other job and feel it is a very important step in overcoming conflict and perspectives for students as well as other instructors.

Hi Candy, I agree with the point you are making that we learn so much from the adults in our classrooms. This ELLU course underscores the importance of cultural competence for all of us who do this rewarding work.

Moderator, English Language Acquisition CoP

.After exploring the CARECEN website, I  have a learned a bit more about the Latino population.

I noticed that there is a substantial Latino population in Washington DC, people from Central American countries working hard to gain U.S. Citizenship, which included photos of those smiling with their certificates. Additionally, a network of programs set up to assist with legal issues, housing, language and citizenship. 

I believe the media plays a large role in reinforcing negative views and stereotyping on this population. Instead of picturing those trying to sneak into the US,committing crimes and having everything from housing to medical care handed freely, one must research and seek out  true information. In reality, history books studied and used throughout one's education can give a false sense of who particular groups of  people really are.

DIE is an excellent way to work with students from all different backgrounds. Always research one's culture before making assumptions.

This information caused me to reflect on my own experiences in teaching non-native speakers of English.  I understand the importance of this fifth skill, and I can see that having an understanding about bias and a personal lack of exposure to diverse cultures could put students at a disadvantage in the classroom.  It is essential for instructors to know their students and their backgrounds, to establish a respectful atmosphere where they can share their culture as it relates to language, and to do research to broaden one's base of knowledge.

I think it is crucial to ensure students feel safe in sharing their culture and for the instructor to design learning plans where that happens freely.  Integrating the fifth skill then becomes a part of the fabric of learning.

I think the "big C" items were: baseball, The Great Depression, a bus ticket, The White House, Facebook, and a McDonald's menu; the "little C" items were all the other items listed.  I can see there will be lots of different answers and they can be debated successfully.

I assumed after more than 30 years in the field of adult education, that I knew "best practices" for helping English Language Learners assimilate into U.S. culture.  After completing this module, my eyes were opened to new protocols for building effective learning plans that take students' culture and life experiences into consideration.    Going through the DIE stages helped me more effectively look at  students' perspectives.  Adult learners  bring diverse and wide-ranging skills, talents, and knowledge with them to the classroom.  Instructors have an obligation to get to know as much as they can about each student in order to cultivate mutual respect and determine strengths that will make connections with language.  Using the DIE protocol can uncover cultural bias and perhaps faulty assumptions about a student's strengths.  It is a method of examining an instructional approach, and a tool for ensuring that learning plans take into consideration linkages that students may use to connect learning.

I think it is important to set the stage for a culturally supportive classroom when working with a new cohort of students.  The students need to know about the teacher, so introducing myself to the class, sharing interests, hobbies, favorite kind of music, favorite food, etc. could be used as a model for having the students get to know each other. I would allow time for student introductions--letting them work in pairs or small groups to learn more about each other, following my model, and having the pairs/small groups rotate over a set period of time.  I would let them introduce each other to the class, while I discreetly take notes on what I learn about each student.  Every learning plan would incorporate linkages to what students have shared about themselves.  For instance, if a student had been an auto mechanic in his native country, math lessons could relate to tire pressure, fluid volumes, cargo space, etc.  Writing practice could be designed to incorporate knowledge students have shared about themselves, as well.  Using writing prompts and small group exchange with the teacher monitoring and providing feedback could give students time to learn more about their various cultures.  I also like the use of videos with leading questions to prompt discussion--this would be a great opportunity to practice language and exchange ideas with cultural foundations.

What strategies, activities, or methods have you used as a culturally competent teacher? 

I have promoted a culturally inclusive environment in my classroom through activities such as students bringing and sharing food from their native countries at class parties, having students work and dialogue in multi-cultural groups, and encouraging students to share about their native languages and customs during class discussions.  

What would you like to learn to do to effectively address the role of culture in your classroom?

I would like to continue learning about cultures around the world from and with my students.  I especially want to understand the role and meaning of non-verbal cues and body language in various cultures.

I would classify classic novels like "The Great Gatsby" and "Beloved", Betsy Ross's flag, the Great Depression Era, and the White House as significant parts of history, and therefore "big C" culture.  More trendy or popular items on the list like Facebook, iPods, a Groupon voucher, and Jeremy Lin clearly go in the "little c" culture.  Star Wars and Madonna are both examples of pop culture that have long-time followings not only in America, but elsewhere around the world.  McDonald's, a coke can, and baseball are all very "American" and have long been popular as a part of daily life, but also throughout history.   

•  Beloved by Toni Morrison   “C”
  • Star Wars by George Lucas ?
  • a McDonald’s® menu “c”
  • Jeremy Lin “c”
  • a Groupon voucher “c”
  • Madonna “c”
  • Betsy Ross’ flag “C”
  • The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald “C”
  • iPods® “c”
  • baseball “C”
  • The Great Depression “C”
  • a bus ticket “c”
  • a Coke® can “c”
  • The White House “C”
  • Facebook “c”

Does any one agree?  Some of the items, I am not sure about.  They are Stars Wars,  and baseball.   Some people  obsessed with Star Wars. They attend events, buy products and   they watch all of the Star Wars movies.  There is a whole culture of people who enjoy Star Wars and as well as other things. 

I have gone to several baseballs games.  There is a culture within the baseball game.  People are wearing baseball hats,  using certain vocabulary words , baseball mittens are held ( just in case a ball come their way),  peanuts are eaten and the famous song “Take me out to the ballgame” is sung. 

I am currently not a teacher but I am a paraprofessional at a charter school. This is my first experience with a school that is so culturally diverse and it has been a wonderful one. A few activities that I have seen my team teachers due is introductions and Culture parties. Introductions is where you tell the class your name, where you are from and your favorite color or if you have pets. That allows students to be able to see appreciate others for who they are. The other activity is where students bring in a favorite dish from him that brings culture into the classroom. The students have a lot of fun with it. 

This course has made me realize what other ways I can help my culturally diverse students be more comfortable by exploring my own culture in order to respect theirs. This course has provided me with the ability to be a better futture teacher and be able to apply the things I have learned in this course to my future classroom or as a paraprofessional now at my school. 

Most of these things I already practice in my classroom as I have been teaching for over thirty years and dealt with many different cultures and peoples.

Happy to finally realize  that recognizing the bodies of knowledge  our students come with can be celebrated.  This our agency's first virtual class, due to Covid.  I had to get creative to learn about my students' prior knowledge, practices, abilities and skills.  We used various  platforms  and one of the students had taken a two year study, on technology, in his country.  He became our technology guru and help teach us all the ends and outs of learning virtually.   Using MALP stragedy allowed me, as instructor to build bridges their way of thinking, learning and being in the world.  The interconnectedness between students was key in having a culture-competent classroom.  Enjoyed all of it.  

Cultural competency is very important in the classroom setting. It allows the student to achieve excellence at higher levels and helps students be prepared for the future in terms of their careers. For example, in healthcare, being culturally competent is so crucial because it allows for the patients to be thoroughly understood as well as treated with the best care. I learned from other teachers that with culture competency, we can strengthen our relationships with our peers, students, etc. There is a lower risk for misunderstandings and hurt feelings. 

This course helped me better understand my cultural investments, perspectives, and values in many ways. While better understanding my cultural values and perspectives I am able to better communicate with others and embrace their cultures. There are certain strategies that I learned in this course that I plan on using to facilitate a culturally inclusive environment and a cross culture understanding among all students. I will use teaching materials that reflect students' interests, backgrounds, and perspectives. I will eliminate cultural bias by being aware of my teaching and testing. I will also practice addressing culture using culturally relevant pedagogy and culture hybridity. I am excited to be able to embrace different cultures in the classroom and also be able to share mine. 

Big "C" are Star Wars ,Betsy Rose ,The Great Gatsby,,The Great Depression and White House Little  "c" include ,groupon ,Jeremy Lin,bus ticket to mention a few.As an ELS teacher ,it is important that I know among my Adult ESL students Big "C" and little"c' as a spring board to my main lesson about teaching the Role of Culture in my ESL  classroom.

Big "C" are Star Wars ,Betsy Rose ,The Great Gatsby, The Great Depression and White House Little  "c" include ,Groupon voucher, ,Jeremy Lin ,bus ticket to mention a few. As an ESL teacher ,it is important that I know among my Adult ESL students the Big "C" and little "c "in their own culture as a spring board and a task preview to my main lesson about teaching the Role of Culture in my ESL  classroom.

I appreciated the section on 5Fs- how sometimes we unintentionally ask students to share their culture using stereotypical examples.