Where does one start implementing tech in the classroom?

Hey guys, 

Sorry it's been so long since my last contribution to the group.  I was asked recently a question like, "where do I start... what is the first thing I should do to introduce technology in the classroom?" It was around this time I read some posts on Twitter about SAMR. I think SAMR is a good tool to use when helping coworkers begin bringing technology in the classroom.

SAMR stands for Substitution, Augmentation, Modification, and Redefintion. Dr. Puentedura came up with the steps. This blog update is about the process, and ideas for how to implement it in your classroom. I'm interested in your thoughts on the resources I put with each level, and if you think there are other tools that are being missed. 

Beyond that I'll be in Western Kentucky this week working with local programs on tech integration and implementation ideas. I look forward to hearing your thoughts!

Barry

Comments

I like this approach very much, Barry, because it moves teachers along to what teachers already know and then encourages them to take on new approaches. I sometimes hear that teachers should not integrate technologies to do the same old things they used to do. I think we need to move teachers from where they are and then help them see new paradigms.

Thanks Steve.

I agree. I was thinking about one of my first experiences using tech in the classroom and what it came down to was me finding the rules of a poem, printing them, and then sharing it with the class.  Following the SAMR method that would be Substitution, and then the rest can come.

And the sentiment you talked about,"teachers should not integrate technologies to do the same old things they used to do" (somehow copying included the background color and I can't find how to undo) is funny because that is precisely why companies brought in computers - look at spread sheets and being able to SUM.

Anyways, thanks, I'm glad you found it of use.

I like the structure, too, because it gets past "wow! Technology!!!" and re-focuses attention on teaching.  

I certainly don't think we should *limit* ourselves to "do the same old things," but I strongly believe that assuming that something that's worked for a long time should be discarded because it's the "same old thing" is foolish.    THis framework lets me decide which direction is appropriate for the job I'm trying to do. If I've got the Absolute Bestest In the Worldest explanation of something, I can start by recording it so it's accessible ... and then I can augment, and build... and where it makes sense to re-define because what we've been doing hasn't been working, I can do that. I like the idea of asking myself "didn't this work really well the way it was?  Shouldn't I stick to substituting here? " because... I tend to redefine everything ;)  

Happened to see a nice graphic for the SAMR Model on www.edudemic.com/2013/05/new-padagogy-wheel-helps-you-integrate-technology-using-samr-model/

Another good site that has rubrics and ratings (for kids, but adaptable), is www.graphite.org part of www.commonsensemedia.org. At the moment, I'm taking a Certificate Course through Sloan-C (excellent, btw), and just happen to be on the technology lesson. They adivise evaluating any tech use based on how well it supports your learning objectives, how user-friendly the tool is and will use of the tool support various quality education criteria. (you could use the Quality Matters rubric - technology section for this)

Patty

This just came today: How to Choose Edtech: Courtesty of the Twitterverse

https://www.edsurge.com/n/2013-07-24-how-to-choose-edtech-courtesy-of-twitterverse

On Monday, people gathered (virtually) re #edtechchat to share tips, best practices (and even a few warnings) about how to choose technology. Moderator Katrina Stevens has pulled a handful of the comments. Feel free to explore the online archive of the whole chat for more details. Even better: the group will be at it again next Monday evening (8pm ET; 5pm PT) Join in! 

Patty