Timeline creation projects

Hello colleagues, We are learning about so many useful online tools to support remote teaching and learning.  We can leverage many of these tools now, while we are teaching remotely, as well as when we return to our face-to-face classrooms. Learning about effective tools and strategies that can work in either context is surely a small silver lining regarding our current challenges. 

I came across another resource today for creating digital timelines that looks amazing. "TimelineJS is an open-source tool that enables anyone to build visually rich, interactive timelines. Beginners can create a timeline using nothing more than a Google spreadsheet." 

I would love to engage learners in a project where they build  a timeline for an historic event they are interested in.  Another project of keen interest is described by Sean Hackney in his 2019 blogpost, "How to Map a Controversy." Hackney has his students choose a controversy to research. (There is certainly no shortage of controversies these days!) The students dig into all sides of an issue and document the arguments that have been made over time on their timeline. After studying an issue in depth, students also determine their own opinion on the controversy.

I'm wondering if teachers have tips for supporting these types of project. Please let us know!

Take care, Susan Finn Miller

Moderator, Teaching & Learning CoP

Comments

HI Susan,

Thank you for sharing....Timelines are classic. Everyone has significant events in life….Many years ago, back in 2013, our program at Lehman College had a program-wide project, focusing on different times in US history. One class focused on 1864, another class on 1920 (the Suffrage Movement), and other classes on other meaningful years. The theme was various elections in U.S. history and the struggle for equality and voter suppression. My class focused on 1964 and on Fannie Lou Hamer's timeline, one of the greatest women in American history. Your post reminded me of those times.

I have never used a digital timeline with my classes.  "TimelineJS certainly looks interesting and worth exploring. I will check it....Again, thank you for sharing.

Best,

Margaret Ibasco
ESL instructor