More tips for moving instruction online

Hello colleagues, Many of us have moved at least part of our instruction online. According to some of the anecdotes we are hearing from instructors here in our community, there are some pretty amazing things happening, which is wonderful.

For example, check out these LINCS discussions:

Preparing for and Offering Adult Basic Skills Online during a Pandemic 

What's App and More 

Allow me to say, though, that many of us have made the change to remote teaching with almost no time to plan and --perhaps-- little or no training in how to teach effectively online. With the rush to move online, our teaching may not be up to the quality we would hope for.  Accordingly, I think it so important to be gentle with ourselves. We are doing the best we can under difficult circumstances.

With all of that being said, some teachers might be interested in checking out this Edutopia blog post, "5 Teaching Strategies of Award-Winning Online Instructors," which identifies some best practices for online instruction. The article also links to some useful resources.

The research-based practices include:

1. Authentic and Relevant Course Material
  2. A Variety of Multimedia Resources
  3. Student Creation of Content -- Individually and Collaboratively
  4. Student Reflection on Learning
  5. Explanation of Purpose

Feel free to share your perspective on these ideas as well as your own experiences and questions about moving to remote teaching and leanring.

Stay safe, everyone.

Take care, Susan Finn Miller

Moderator, English Language Acquisition and Teaching & Learning CoPs

Comments

I am exploring the idea of adding OER to my online classes. This will be a valuable addition because the resources are easily available and accessible for my students online.