Instructional materials on racism

Hello colleagues, Due to recent events, I know many of us are thinking about issues related to racism and ways to bring the topic into our classrooms. The Change Agent is a wonderful resources that features some free instructional resources that are suitable for learners at various levels.

Here's a recent announcment from The Change Agent:

"As we consider how to bring up race and current events in the classroom, here's what one student wrote in our "Talking about Race" issue of The Change Agent:  

'In America, talking about race can be risky, but we should do it anyway so that we can all learn to fight racism.' 

The Change Agent has a breadth and depth of materials that will allow you to raise this important topic in various ways. You can find a lot of them here in this multi-level FREE lesson packet, "Facing Racism," including a piece that explores the role of race in voter suppression (available in intermediate and advanced levels). Also available for FREE is our lesson packet on Juneteenth (celebrating when enslaved people were finally freed in Texas), available at beginner, intermediate, and advanced levels. And our current issue, Stand Up and Be Counted explores all the large and small ways people can advocate for themselves, their families, and their communities." 

Members, please let us know of additional resources you have found valuble on this critically important topic.

Take care, Susan Finn Miller

Teaching & Learning CoP

Comments

Hi Susan and Everyone,

The Southern Poverty Law Center has a website at www.tolerance.org that provides teaching materials for several class levels called Teaching Tolerance. There is also a free magazine.

Nan Frydland

ESL/Literacy Instructor

Common Sense [​https://www.commonsense.org/education/news-media-literacy-resource-center] has a great collection of news and media lessons, videos, printables, and more on topics like:

• Teaching About Race, Racism, and Police Violence
  • Lesson on George Floyd's Death and Police Violence
  • Anti-Racism Resources for All Ages

In addition, there is a fine collection of News Literacy resources [https://www.commonsense.org/education/articles/news-literacy-resources-for-classrooms]

Thank you for sharing this information.  I am an adult educator at a domestic violence shelter.  The topic of race relations is treated as a "nonissue" here but I am glad to have these materials for any clients who wish to discuss them with me.