Moving from Webinars to Virtual Events

All,

As we move into the new fiscal year and we continue to address the need for social distancing, this may lead to a challenging year with conferences. It's also time to move beyond webinars with the multitude of tools that are available for virtual events. 

I invite you to review the resources on this blog about running a virtual conferences Which platform seems the mist interesting? Which would you like to attend?

I'd love to hear your plans for virtual conferences.

Sincerely, 

Kathy Tracey
@Kathy_Tracey

Comments

All, 

We are seeing more and more of our conferences move into a virtual space as we adjust to this new normal. I thought some of you may find this article of interest: Planning Virtual Conferences:  https://www.timeshighereducation.com/blog/tips-how-plan-virtual-academic-conference

How are you handeling any fall conferences? 
I'd love to hear what's happening across the country.

Kathy

Hi Everyone,

This is a great question.  I was invited to do several workshops at a state's summer conference in June that was then rescheduled for October.  I received word last week that they cancelled the October face-to-face conference and were now exploring remote learning options for the fall.  In another state, their spring 2021 conference, which they normally do face-to-face in March, will be held virtually next year.  

One advantage of doing virtual conferences is the ability to archive.  At almost every traditional conference I have been to, I always want to attend more sessions than I am able to because so many interesting things are offered at the same time.  (Or I am presenting and am unable to attend something I would like to for my personal professional development (PD).)  I look forward to viewing recorded and archived sessions at this year's COABE Conference as they are released.  

Also, in past years at face-to-face events which hold 10 or 12 workshop sessions over several days, I sometimes get PD fatigue after the 8th session.  Yes, PD fatigue even strikes us PD providers too!  

Do you like face-to-face or virtual conferences better?  Why?

Have a great day,

Steve

Moderator, LINCS Reading and Writing CoP