Using Zoom in creative ways for teaching and learning

Hello teaching and learning colleagues,

I want to call your attention to a new discussion taking place now in the Integrating Technology group

You may have been using Zoom for several months now -- or longer -- to provide remote or online teaching and learning. Many adult basic skills (including ESL/ESOL) teachers now depend on it. However, many teachers also complain that they have not figured out successful strategies, using Zoom (or other videoconferencing platforms such as webEx, GoToMeeting, or Google Meet,) that keep their learners engaged.

Using Zoom or other videoconferencing platforms, how do you keep your students engaged?

David J. Rosen, Moderator

LINCS CoP Integrating Technology group

Comments

Hello David and colleagues, Like many teachers, I'm using Zoom to teach online. The learners in my current class are advanced English learners who have tested out of ESL levels. They all have goals which involve transitioning to the next steps and several need an HSE.

I posted a thread recently about how I'm using the Flippity website to create engaging tasks which require learners to collaborate, which they do in a breakout room. Here's a link to the discussion thread which includes links to a couple of activities I created including, i.e., an Anticipation Guide learners completed and discussed before we watched a video about women's suffrage and an academic vocabulary matching activity with words drawn from the video.

Flippity is quite intutitive, so it makes it easy for teachers to create engaging activities that can be integrated into a Zoom class. I'd be pleased to respond to questions, and I'm eager to learn what other teachers are doing!

Take care, Susan Finn Miller

Moderator, Teaching & Learning CoP