Graded Readers and audio/video books

I teach ESL  to adults, usually Spanish speakers, and I have written a series of Graded Readers which are available to my students free on my website: https://www.inglesconprofepablo.com/lecturas-

A Graded Reader is a text written using an appropriate vocabulary, with some words translated at the bottom of the page.

I have made "audio/video books" of several of the readers which I post on my WhatsApp groups. 

In my opinion it is essential for language learners to have appropriate reading material available for a few reasons. Reading is the fastest way for students to increase their vocabulary. And reading helps students learn grammar more easily. I also use popular songs from YouTube with the lyrics either superimposed or as subtitles.

Comments

Hi Paul,

We have missed your comments these past few months, welcome back! Thanks for taking the time to share the great resources you have on your web page.

I hope everyone realizes that this is a community of practice. I have heard from some community members that they feel intimidated by posting since they think this community is only for experts. This is definitely not the case!

Communities of practice "are groups of people who share a concern or a passion for something they do and learn how to do it better as they interact regularly." Please feel free to ask questions, initiate discussions, and contribute resources. Remember, "none of us is as smart as all of us." 

Paul, thanks again for all your contributions to this community over the years!

Let's continue to help each other learn and grow!

Steve Schmidt, Moderator

LINCS Reading and Writing CoP

Steve, Yes it would be great if people shared their experiences and resources, ideas and insights. I learn something new all the time. A month ago I learned how to use ScreenShot with WhatsApp and I just today a student taught me how to use WhatsApp on my laptop!

It is interesting that you mentioned that people may feel that this community is for "experts" because anyone who has extensive practice in something becomes an expert. Perhaps people feel that they do not know much "theory", but theory is based on practice which just needs to summed up and applied. So I encourage everybody to describe their successes to us so we all can continue to improve.

A few days ago on my advanced WhatsApp group I asked everyone to write a short biography which I will correct and use for group lessons. I mentioned that writing is a good way to learn how to speak and to learn verb tenses. Well, the results are very positive and I now know more about each student.

Well, once again, thanks!