Zoom Document Cam Hack with Cans!

Hi Integrating Technology colleagues,

Are you looking for a way to share a document with your students but do not have a document camera? This elegant hack using a cell phone and cans comes straight from the pantry. I am continually amazed by the creativity of instructors from around the country during pandemic remote learning!   

Has anyone tried this technique?

What other ways are you sharing documents with your students?

Happy Teaching,

Steve Schmidt

Moderator, LINCS Reading and Writing CoP 

Comments

Hi Steve, This is pretty cool! I am an instructor who CANNOT teach without a doc camera when teachig in-person. I know it's possible to purchase a doc camera that can be used during a synchronous online class, but this method is super creative. Thanks for sharing this, Steve!

It would be great to hear from teachers who have incorporated doc cams in their remote classes.

Take care, Susan Finn Miller

Moderator, English Language Acquisition and Teaching & Learning CoPs

Hi Susan,

Your outstanding comment reminded me of a whiteboard resource I learned about during the LINCS Math Coffee Break last week. A participant mentioned the free resource whiteboard.fi, and I had a chance to check it out earlier today. One frustration I have had with the Zoom whiteboard is having to use the mouse which makes my writing look clumsy at best.

Whiteboard.fi solves this problem. Students can easily access whiteboard.fi on their phones and use their fingers to write. Scroll down on the home page and check out the video to see exactly how it works.

What else are instructors using for whiteboards or doc cams?

Have a great day,

Steve Schmidt, Moderator

LINCS Reading and Writing CoP

A local friend gave me two cardboard stands to try out.   His son is selling them (very inexpensively -- it's not really for profit) and they work nicely for math problems on whiteboard tho' my phone has not been good w/ holding connections in here. https://www.tukam.store/   

I've also seen DIY phone stands / document cameras an dhere's a bunch of pics https://www.pinterest.com/bhirata808/diy-document-camera-stand/