Declining Enrollment in Adult Ed: The Role of Professional Development

Colleagues, 

COABE and the National Association of State Directors of Adult Educators are launching their campaign toolkit for adult educators with "proactive tools to communicate the value of adult education and how they can support adult learners during the COVID-19 pandemic." 

More information about this initiave will be shared in this discussion thread, but I wanted to also open a discussion about the role of professional development in adult education. 

1) Are you providing PD on effective communication streams in AE? If so, please consider sharing your models, objectives, and strategies. 

2) Also, if you are seeing declining enrollment in contrast to rising unemployment, how are you addressing that issue?

I'm looking forward to your ideas and insight. 

Sincerely, 
Kathy Tracey

@Kathy_Tracey 

Comments

All, 
If you haven't had a chance to view the COABE webinar on their recent initiatives to assist in recruiting new learners, I encourage you to check out the resources with the #MoveAheadWithAdultEd campaign. 

My key takeaways from their webinar included: 

• We need to look through a new engagement lens.
  • The demand for services is steady
  • We need to evolve in or communication strategies 
    • Articulate the challenges for participation
    • Integrate a call to action in the communication
    • Detail the benefit of participation. 

I hope you have a chance to view the webinar. Share any thoughts, tips, and ideas. 

Thank you, 

Kathy Tracey 

All, 
I invite you to read Gender and Enrollment Decline from Inside Higher Education. The article highights the unusual nature of this current decline in employment which has traditionally led to increased enrollment in education. The author questions if gender is a factor in the declining enrollment. 

From the article, "In a more normal recession, community colleges compete with unemployment. In this one, we’re competing with childcare. The first battle is much easier to win than the second."

After you review the article, I'd like to hear your thoughts on the role of professional development on assisting programs develop strategies to aid learners overcome barriers to participation. 

I'm looking forward to hearing from you, 
Sincerely, 
Kathy 

@Kathy_Tracey