Daylight Savings Time as a Math Activity

Hello all,  

Have you ever coordinated a meeting with colleagues in multiple time zones?  It can be quite challenging. As a math practitioner/researcher, I am always trying to find new ways to contextualize math.  Today, October 31, 2020, is the last day of DST in most states, and I thought what a great way to help our students problem-solve and push against their reasoning skills, too.  Let's post some examples that would be great to discuss in a math course, I will start:

If it is 10:00 a.m. Central Daylight Time what time would it be in California today, Oct. 31?  How does that time change tomorrow when it is Central Standard Time?

What are other questions we could ask?

Brooke

Comments

I'd want to have maps out :)   

Look up the sunrise and sunset for October 31.... what are they on November 1?   What does this mean for you?   

Hmmm.   Do online search for  "daylight saving time" and "daylight savings time" and see which gets the hits, and where... 

Susan,

Let me know what you find out through your searches!  I like the idea of the visual of maps.  I am not sure many of the Adult Learners I work with have seen a map with time zones before.  Perhaps I will ask!

Brooke

A Google search for "daylight savings time" got me all kinds of sites -- with "daylight saving time" in their title.  Seems the website designers did "search engine optimization" so we don't have to "spell it properly" to find out about it :) 
     Anything that gets folks looking at the world seems like a good idea to me.   Exploring why there are bends and breaks in it is fun too...There are lots of images but they tend to run large ...