Online Course: Integrating Technology in the Adult Education Classroom

Now Available on the LINCS Learning Portal --- The LINCS Integrating Technology in the Adult Education Classroom Online Course

LINCS provides the opportunity for professional development for its members in the form of a series of optional online courses developed by the U.S. Department of Education, Office of Vocational and Adult Education’sLiteracy Information and Communication System (LINCS) Resource Collection initiative. These online courses are self-paced, freely available, and accessible 24 hours a day through the LINCS Learning Portal. The courses will enable users to work at their own pace, at a time that is most convenient to them.

Online Course: Integrating Technology in the Adult Education Classroom

Integrating Technology in the Adult Education Classroom is designed for adult education instructors who are at the beginner/intermediate level of knowledge of technology tools and technology integration in the classroom. This course examines the why, how, and what questions for integrating technology in the adult education classroom:

• Why is technology important for instruction and learning?
  • How do you approach integrating technology?
  • What tools can you use to integrate technology?

This course covers the purposes for integrating technology, explores guidelines for planning to integrate technology into instruction, and organizes thinking about the wide range of technology tools available. Examples of adult education practitioners’ experiences in integrating technology are incorporated throughout the course. In the culminating activity, participants create a Technology Integration Action Plan for a unit or lesson selected for use with adult learners.

Use this discussion thread to post your responses to questions below from the online course, Integrating Technology in the Adult Education Classroom. Please share your comments to any of the following questions, or post a general comment or feedback on the course.

• Introduce yourself.
  • What technology devices do your students have access to? What are some of the everyday tasks your students are using these technology devices to accomplish?
  • After reading the Let’s Become Chefs! final activity, what are some creative ways to integrate technology into the strategy for the final activity? List a couple of ways that you can integrate technology into this strategy.
  • What two technology tools did Cynthia try to implement with her students in the classroom? What were the observed benefits of using one tool over another? What are some limitations of both tools?
  • How did Nell’s use of Pinterest in the lesson on autobiographies enhance and extend student learning?
  • After listening to the two teacher reflections from Cynthia Bell and Nell Eckersley, consider the following: How have you approached technology in the past? With the guidelines provided in this module, what new or additional considerations will you build into your unit or lesson planning process to more effectively integrate technology into your classroom?
  • After reviewing the printable table of categorized technology tools used in an educational context, reflect on the following: Were there tools that were mentioned that you would like to explore? Did you learn about new ways of using existing tools? How can one tool be repurposed to meet another need?
  • After listening to two adult education instructors reflect upon their experiences integrating a technology tool in their classroom instruction, share your responses to the following questions: (1) Identify the technology tool the instructor used. Was the instructor comfortable using the tool? If not, what was the instructor’s plan for understanding the tool? (2) Did the tool selected meet the students’ existing technology skills? If not, what was the plan for teaching the students how to use the technology tool? (3) Did the technology tool selected improve instruction and/or deepen student learning? How? (4) Was this technology tool the best choice to implement the teaching strategies of the unit or lesson? What other technology tools could the instructor have selected to use?
  • When you are finished redesigning your lesson plan, we invite you to share it with others here. Revisit this thread to reflect on your progress and the lesson effectiveness.

This online course was developed under the U.S. Department of Education, Office of Vocational and Adult Education’s Literacy Information and Communication System (LINCS) Resource Collection initiative under Contract No. ED-VAE-11-C-0048.

The new LINCS Learning Portal offers adult educators free online professional development courses from a variety of OVAE initiatives. Join today at: https://courses.lincs.ed.gov.

Comments

Putting our students first should be the beginning of every instruction. When we think about the needs of the students and whether students have access to technology it helps to guide our instruction. Most students do have cell phones; however, not every student have access to computers. When assigning lessons, educators should ensure that every student have access to the necessary components for completing an assignment. Students may be reluctant to discuss these concerns in public so teachers have to come up with creative ways of discovering if all students have equal access to technology.

The use of technology in Nell's class was both new and engaging for most students. Using Pinterest as an online platform helped to get the students motivated and out of their comfort zone. Having the students research topics such as their country of origin, foods they enjoy and their autobiographies made using this platform very user friendly.

My use of technology in the GED classroom has been somewhat limited. However; COVID 19 has caused most classes to become virtual so students must be able to navigate various platforms for instruction. I am now able to use Zoom, WebEx, and Teams for integrating instruction in the classroom. Students are using e-books, GED Academy, New Reader's Press and are also learning how to share the screen and present to groups using the virtual classroom.

By going to a virtual platform, students have had to integrate more technology in their group presentations; such as, YouTube videos, TEDTalks, and iTunes. As a teacher, I've incorporated PollEverywhere and QR Quick responses.

Hi, I'm Iola Duncan

Both Cynthia Bell and Nell Eckersly presented powerful strategies for utilizing technology in the classroom.

Helping students to create passwords and email accounts are essential requirements for both work and home. Students were able to email homework and communicate with family and friends via email. having email accounts also made it easier to communicate with fellow students and the teacher. Being able to use emails to communicate with classmates gave the students a sense of community.

Not having computer labs presents a challenge for students. However, most students tend to have access to a personal smart phone. Smart phones act in the same capacity as computers. Smart phones can be used to gather information, do research on classroom topics, and discover answers to challenging questions. Students can also utilize multiple functions on smart phones such as scanning QR codes. Apps on smart phones are easy to download. Using technology in the classroom also allows students to share their experiences with family and friends outside of the classroom.

Hello,

I am a GED math teacher.  I have observed my students using their cellphones in a variety of ways. Besides communication with family and friends via email and texting, several parents receive text alerts from their children's schools.  Others check the balance in their bank accounts, while I have seen others use technology in a job search.  We do not have computer access in my face to face classes, but I do incorporate user friendly websites when reinforcing a concept.  Khan Academy and Youtube are awesome.  Now because of Covid, students are using the Zoom platform on personal computers or cellphones to attend class.

After introducing a math concept, it would be beneficial for students to reinforce their learning with technology.  Using Khan Academy would be very helpful.  There are also lots of online games and math activities for adult learners. Students could also use writing skills to create a word problem for another class member and email it to them.

I think in order for the student goals to be reached, the teacher should feel comfortable incorporating the technology skills needed in the lesson.

This year has been a real challenge.  For a grandmother, I consider myself fairly competent in technology, but I like to depend on what I already know and resist new technology unless I can really see the benefits of the time spent to learn it.  Consequently, I carry that time vs. utility mindset over to my students.  I enjoyed seeing how to this concept was developed in the POST approach.  Using it will help me better refine my technology choices in my online classroom.  One of the most challenging thing about the online class is the wide variety of digital expertise among my students and determining what things are necessary to enrich their experience as opposed to overwhelming them.  Utilizing POST will really help me and might be a requisite professional development course for online instructors.well 

Hello Harriet,

I believe that the "POST" approach you may be referring to is a planning tool that takes into consideration:

• P – “People”  i.e. in this case, who are the students, what is their level of skills in using technology, what kind of access to digital devices do they have, if they are on line what kinds of apps, websites or social media tools do they use?  Are they on Facebook, Instagram, WhatsApp, TikTok? Do they use YouTube, Google? 
  • O – “Objectives”: What do you and your learners want to accomplish. What are your and their goals or objectives for the program, and instruction activity? What do you and they want to accomplish by using technology as a part of your efforts?
  • S – “Strategy”: This could mean what is your instructional strategy for helping your students meet your.their goals? It could also mean what's your strategy, especially if your students are remote, for building a relationship with them?.  What social media tools for example, would help you to build relationships with them in an online or hybrid environment. WhatsApp, Facebook? FlipGrid, Slack?  a Google Group? Instagram? Something else?
  • T – “Technology”: The technology you plan to use should almost always come last, that is begin with the people, learning goals opr objectives and your strategy and then decide what tools to use. These may be tools you already know how to use, or that you have read about and believe could help you address the students' needs, learning objectives, and fit your learning strategy.

If that's what you mean, it would be great to hear how you plan to use the POST approach for one or more learning objectives with at l;east one group of students. If you share that here in January I, at least, would be happy to provide you with some comments, or to try to answer your questions. Other colleagues here might also offer some suggestions.

David J. Rosen, Moderator

LINCS Community Integrating Technology group

I think Nell was comfortable with the tool, but uncomfortable with the idea of teaching a technology skill, so she underplanned how to teach it.  However, she learned from the experience, and better planned future classes.  In this case, the use of the technology somewhat overtook the primary objective of the lesson, but the trade off was the increase in class community and the satisfaction of being able to use a tool that enhanced the students' lives.  Changing directions is often a good thing.  The primary problem is letting it happen without being aware and making the conscious decision to go that direction.  I think, here, that that decision was made and the revision for other classes indicates that conscious choice.

I felt like this course was worthwhile and definitely worth my time.  An overview to using technology in the classroom is a necessary ingredient.  Far too often, we add technology for technology's sake instead of melding our students, lesson objectives, strategies, and available technologies into a viable whole. 

However, I felt let down that the course has not been updated to a more online approach.  I also felt shortchanged in that we only talked about the available options.  A more user involved look at available types of technology would have greatly improved the content.  With the present use of online classes almost exclusively, this course needs an overhaul in that direction.  Maybe paring this one down to an introductory class of theory and the addition of a second course devoted to practice in online classes is the way to go.  Either way, adult educators would be better served with some technology instruction to prepare them for teaching online classes.

I've already sort of done this, but apparently in the wrong spot.  I teach intermediate and advanced adult ESL classes for Harris County, TX.  Technically, I'm retired, but I love my adult classes so much, I just keep teaching.  I'm pretty much into technologty (for an old lady), but I don't like to spend time learning the ins and outs of another app unless I can see the benefits gained.  Otherwise, I'd rather stick with what works, but show me the benefits and I'll spend weeks getting it conquered.  I use that same cost-benefit approach when determining what technology to use in the classroom, so the POST approach is perfect for me.

llo!

My name is Pablo Salinas, and I have taught noncredit ESL at Houston College in Texas for almost 10 years, first as an part faculty for seven years.  During that time, I also taught in all kinds of adult ESL programs (college credit ESL, IEPs, vacation ESL, workplace ESL, refugee/resettlement) - what any PT teacher needs to do to cobble together an income.  I have been integrating technology for quite a while now and am a tech trainer for OTAN (Outreach and Technical Assistance Network), also writing articles on Web-based class activities and contributing to the teaching with technology repository.  Despite that, I am self-taught and lack a bit of the theoretical foundation about technology integration, so I am delighted to join this group and peruse the online modules, especially now that I'm on sabbatical and have some time to devote to learning. I look forward to reading all the posts that I see here!

As for technology accessibility of my students, I believe that due to the high cost of living in the area where I teach (coastal Southern California), the folks (including immigrants) who can afford to live here have the means to acquire tech gadgets. Compared to what I discovered through discussions with ESL teachers from the Los Angeles area in a professional development Community of Practice (CALPRO's Evidence-Based Writing Instruction) I recently participated in, my students not only have greater access but are relatively much more tech-savvy than their peers in other areas of this part of the state. 

I used Survey Monkey to find out about technology access of students in our program's level 5 - 7 classes a few months ago: Results:

Level 5 AM - 78% have computers with internet access, 65% have cell phones with internet access

Level 5 PM - 62% have computers with internet access, 68% have cell phones with internet access

Level 6 AM - 65% have computers with internet access, 90% have cell phones with internet access

Level 6 PM - 29% have computers with internet access, 76% have cell phones with internet access

Level 7 PM - 78% have computers with internet access, 67% have cell phones with internet access

The morning Level 7 class was unable to participate.

I teach at the noon time, and in my most recent class (while I didn't formally survey the students, most of whom have finished high school in their native countries, and several of whom had bachelor - PhDs), a Vocational ESL class, many of the students had computers, tablets, AND cell phones.  Anyway, that's not the norm, but it definitely made for interesting and valuable technology-integration possibilities in the class.

Shortly after I surveyed students (the purposes were to gather updated information to support our recently-approved hybrid classes and to update data I had originally supplied in my sabbatical leave application), the students in these levels had to take the WIA/EL Civics Tech Survey.  Here are some of those results (132 students surveyed), on the first post of my sabbatical blog.  The results indicated that 73% of (129) students surveyed have smartphones.  Obviously, as we include more tech integration, blended and online learning, we need to consider that students will more likely be doing this coursework on the tiny screens of their cellphones.

Some of the everyday tasks students are doing with their tech devices are the following (according to the WIA/EL Civics Tech survey for our agency) are the following:

• text 83%
  • get information/do research 76%
  • learn in (42%) and outside (39%) of class
  • apply for jobs 18%
  • work 8%
  • pay bills 28%
  • e-mail 66%
  • shop 27%
  • use social media 60%
  • access entertainment 50%

It is interesting to note that using the internet in and outside of class to learn is not a common use.  Obviously as educators, we need to do a better job os what is being advocated in the modules of this course: Use the tools that are used in everyday life in the real world – use the same tools to provide academic success and bring education into the realm of the real world.

Hello Pablo,

It's great that you have been surveying your students' access to technology; that's essential now, especially since nearly all instruction is remote or hybrid.

It's also great they you have some time now to focus on how integrating technology can help you as a teacher, and help your teachers. You may be interested in the LINCS Integrating Technology course, which while worthwhile, as Harriet Hubacker has pointed out in this discussion thread, does have some limitations. Harriet wrote: 

I felt like this course was worthwhile and definitely worth my time.  An overview to using technology in the classroom is a necessary ingredient.  Far too often, we add technology for technology's sake instead of melding our students, lesson objectives, strategies, and available technologies into a viable whole. 

However, I felt let down that the course has not been updated to a more online approach.  I also felt shortchanged in that we only talked about the available options.  A more user involved look at available types of technology would have greatly improved the content.  With the present use of online classes almost exclusively, this course needs an overhaul in that direction.  Maybe paring this one down to an introductory class of theory and the addition of a second course devoted to practice in online classes is the way to go.  Either way, adult educators would be better served with some technology instruction to prepare them for teaching online classes.

You might consider searching the Integrating Technology group for rich past discussions on topics of interest, for example about blended learning, hybrid learning, or the upcoming topic to be announced soon in the Integrating Technology group on Flex models (BlendFlex and HyFlex), the Illinois Digital Learning Lab, online teaching responses to Covid -19, and many other topics that may be of interest. Just type your topic in the LINCS search window at the upper right of any page. 

You might also be interested in some of the free webinars that the World Education Ed Tech Center has been offering on Fridays.

David J. Rosen, Moderator

LINCS Community Integrating Technology group

Hello, I am an adult ESL instructor.

Most of my students have smart phones.  A few have notebooks or tablets. They primarily use them for social networking, emails and text messaging.  Some use them for online searches.  If students don't have wifi at home, they go to their local library.  The elderly adults (50-60 years old) have difficulty with creating accounts, accessing them with user names, and creating passwords.  They also have difficulty with keyboarding skills.  The younger adults are more proficient with these skills.

Identify the technology tool the instructor used. Was the instructor comfortable using the tool? I believe both instructors understood and were confident using email, computer, smartphone, and QR codes.

• Did the tool selected meet the students’ existing technology skills? The first-class teacher backed up to teach the technical skill that some of the students didn't have and had the other students who were familiar with an email to help, a great idea.  The second class had students share the smartphones because the class didn't have the technology available, very resourceful. 
  • Did the technology tool select to improve instruction and/or deepen student learning? Yes, the technology tools selected taught the students skills like emailing and using smartphone apps in their daily lives.  It also taught them that technology can be used for more than social needs.
  • Was this technology tool the best choice to implement the teaching strategies of the unit or lesson? What other technology tools could the instructor have selected to use? Using the computer and internet to the email was a very effective unit, I like how the teacher adjusted the lesson the second time she taught them to email.  I think that sharing the smartphones might be risking for the students who own the phones, do they have unlimited data, etc. is it an added expense for the students.  Watching Khan Academy videos is a wonderful idea and very useful, I think watching them on a smartphone may be difficult for more than one person.  I think using the computer or tablet may have been easier perhaps at a library or school that would allow the class to use a lab.

I teach advanced level ESL at a community college.  Most of the students have cell phones/smartphones and like having technology in the classroom.  We have access to a computer lab at least one day per week.  We use Edmodo, quizlet.com, live binders, youtube, newsela.com, and other sites.  I've seen a dramatic change in students' available technology, from almost no cell phones or computers 10 years ago to almost all students having smartphones and being connected today.  For "Let's Become Chefs," a class/group project could be to make a video or animated video of a recipe being made. 

I enjoy using Smartphones in the classroom. My classes are quite small, and has only one desk top computer. My students are adult ELL's and they all have smart phones and use them to communicate with their friends and family, but just having it in their pockets can make a class so much more interesting. Just today, I had several new students from another class. Their regular teacher is on vacation. We were talking about food, and an Indian woman brought up saffron. It was hard to explain, but easy with pictures, showing the flower it comes from, and the part of the flower used for cooking. Smart phones are also great for teaching simple email etiquette, and it is wonderful for maps. Most of my students use google maps to learn how to get around in Chicago. YouTube is awesome for showing anything... animal behavior is always funny.

I had tried using an online platform with students in the past as a place for students to interact outside of class but I found that students just didn't go there so I had stopped doing it. But when I learned about the POST Method I realized that I had gone about the project backwards. I had found a technology tool I thought looked really great and that had driven the process rather than thinking more about who my students are, what our learning objectives were, and strategies that would support achieving the outcomes.

At our lesson, I handed out the QR Code sheet and students worked in pairs to scan it and watch the video. A few students had trouble using the QR Code scanner the first time, but once they got the hang of it they were excited about how it worked. After everyone watched the video, we did the math together on the board and discussed how New York and California are similar and different. For homework, students had to search for a rental apartment and a co-op or condo for sale to bring to class so we could try the math on those. Students brought this information in and we did the math. But perhaps more exciting for me was that many of them had taken the QR Code sheet home and shown their family and friends how to scan a QR Code, and had watched the video again. Several students also used their smart phones to do their homework assignment.

We could have done this lesson without technology, but I don't think it would have been so rich or resonated so deeply with my students if they had read an article rather than seeing the math being done "live." I also think that the excitement around using the QR Code extended the lesson outside of class time, as students took the QR Codes home and showed other people how to use them--and ended up watching the video again. I also think using the smart phones in class for learning helped some students see that the smart phone could be used to gather information.

Hi  - 

Our town public library just initiated a program allowing library cardholders to check out Verizon hotspots. You could inquire about the program from my contact there.

My ESL students also have difficulty creating accounts, remembering passwords, etc. Since our college won't give adult ed email addresses because they don't pay tuition, what I've done for my Levels 1&2 ESL students is having them create a Google account during the first week of class which resembles a school account (ex. firstlast.cwc@gmail.com) and use their phone number as their password. Then, I become their IT contact person if they have problems logging in to any of the apps we use in class. Many of the apps we use in class have Google sign-in capabilities, so it has GREATLY streamlined login issues. I also give them a technology help sheet with their email, password, apps we use, wifi access, etc. and print it on bright paper so they can find it quickly in their binder: Technology Help Sheet

Covid has proven to be a challenge on all levels. Our adult education program is in a rural community with a variety of students. Some of our students have access to technology while others do not. It has been difficult to design, implement, and teach in the same manner a crossed the board. I have students online as well as in person. This has been a challenge. One lesson plan does not work for every student. I find that I am creating smaller more personal classrooms for students and moving to a tutoring style verses instruction led. This course has helped me understand some options I can use while providing me with ideas for my classes. 

I am currently applying for a position as an Adult Ed teacher after taking a two year break from elementary teaching so I don't have students or relevant lesson plans in which to refer.   But, I am finding many excellent resources and ideas in forum and in this course.  I think the tv411What's Cooking site mentioned in the lesson could prove useful.  Plus, how to create graphic organizers using Google drive drawing tool and Microsoft Publisher is helpful.  I am a big fan of podcasts and feel that they could be another great tool in your toolbelt.  Thanks for the thoughts!

Cynthia tried an online platform and facebook.  These days, it seems that many people use facebook so why not use what they are already familiar with?  Seems like a no-brainer.  From there, all she needed to do is convince the few non-users of facebook to join too.  That might not be so easy because the few that don't like facebook really don't like facebook: security issues, data sharing, big brother is watching....  Making sure that their privacy is protected and assuring them of this fact can be a obstacle.  All in all, I think she found a way to solve the issue and had great results. Kudos

I have not yet started teaching adult ed classes but find all these comments insightful.  Because of limited resources, I know that many of my perspective students will not have reliable wifi at home.  It seems that most students have smartphones and that makes so many of the technology tools mentioned a possibility.  Like Nell mentioned, students are more likely to use tech that they are familiar with like facebook, pinterest or twitter.  Unfortunately, I do not subscribe to these sites so I believe I will be the one taking a deep dive into these tech tools.  I'm all for using them in a work setting but I do have serious concerns about my privacy and would only use them through a workplace portal, platform or website....

As mentioned before, I plan on starting an Adult Ed. job soon but do not currently have a position.  From what I understand, many of my students will be of limited means but most have smartphones.  Reliable home wifi could be an issue.  I think, as stated, most people are hesitant with new technology and feel more comfortable with tech they use on a daily bases like facebook, twitter, pinterest, etc.  Youtube, Khan Academy and podcasts are potentially great resources as long as the material selected is engaging, digestable and fairly brief.  Reading other responses in this section has given my many good ideas, resources and examples of possible uses.  Always helpful.  

I love teaching virtual, but It is very challenging.  Google search is my friend.  This class has helped be to create a plan for technology in my class.  I am using technology, but now I have a direction.  Thank you! 

As a final activity, create a class book of favorite recipes. Have students select a favorite recipe they use at home and write it down. Have them revise their recipes with their group members or a partner, using the recipe writing rubric as a guide for revision. Collect final drafts of recipes into a class recipe book

My students can use technology to showcase their recipes in many different ways. The first would be to encourage my students to create a blog that allows them to post their pictures and recipes. Each student will have an opportunity to write about their motivations for their recipes, anecdotes, and discuss their process with their peers. As a result, we would have a blog post with different types of recipes from all students.

Another way we can use technology is by using social media. I can create an Instagram account for the class and have my students upload their recipes with pictures. They can use hashtags to attract viewers and showcase their recipes.

Students can also use their smartphones to create a Youtube channel showcasing their recipes. This would allow them to show their creativity while showing their recipes to their peers and if they like to the world. Students will be able to be creative through their own cooking shows. They can use editing software on their phones or computer to make their videos creative.

What two technology tools did Cynthia try to implement with her students in the classroom?

Cynthia Bell tried to use the POST Method and Facebook

What were the observed benefits of using one tool over another?

The POST Method technology tool served as an online platform for students to interact outside of class. The Facebook group provided students with a space that they can meet without requiring them to be Facebook "friends." The Facebook Groups also allowed students to upload documents so students could write in some other program and upload their work, or write directly in Facebook. Students would also share links to information they had found online and could "like" or comment on each other's work.

What are some limitations of both tools?

The POST Method didn't show who students really were.

The Facebook method had a few students who were not on the platform.

Were there tools that were mentioned that you would like to explore?

One tool that I would like to explore further would be Youtube. I would like to incorporate apps that would make my videos more visually appealing for my students.

Did you learn about new ways of using existing tools?

Yes. I learned how to use iMovie in my teaching videos. This allowed me to incorporate outside resources in my videos to make them more diverse and interesting.

How can one tool be repurposed to meet another need?

One tool can provide diverse learners with different visuals that would allow them to learn the lesson better.

People: Always consider students when creating any lesson.  I over looked that when I started my Zoom class. My Zoom class has so many different Language levels and skill levels on the computer.  

I appreciated the reflections of the ESOL and ABE teachers in how they are using technology in their classrooms. It helped me be more reflective in selecting what roll technology can play with my students

Hello Everyone,

My name is Chrisnatalie Diaz, I'm currently an Early Childhood professional development specialist. My students are childcare providers between the ages of 18- 60 years old. Technology is important for instruction and learning because it allows students to have a better understanding of the concept that being taught. With the use of technology, students are able to learn at their own pace and use different platforms that would support their learning needs. When I approach integrating technology is my teacher, I take into consideration several factors. Among those is students' access to technology, the various forms of technology available to them, and how can I integrate those resources into their learning.  There are many tools that I use to integrate technology into my teaching. I encourage students to use technology that is accessible to them and that they feel comfortable with. Students are allowed to use their smartphones, pads, laptops apps, etc that will support their learning.

Nell used Pinterest as a platform that allowed her and her students to obtain lesson ideas. These lessons helped her gather pictures to be part of the autobiography project. As they used Pinterest in a computer lab, they talked about online communities and addressed some concerns about privacy that some students had. They also talked about the specific terms used in Pinterest, such as boards, repin, like, follow. They discussed creating a username and password and for homework, everyone had to come up with the username and password they wanted to use for Pinterest.

Nell had her students go to the lab and sign up for Pinterest.  She paired people so that a more experienced computer user was paired with a less experienced user. Once all the students were on Pinterest, they each created a board called an autobiography, which they shared with her.

The class did a Google search for images of each of their home countries. This was the first image they pinned to their boards. Then they worked in pairs to search for images of their favorite foods. For homework, students had to find two more images. They could find them online or upload them. For those who did not have access to computers, they talked about the other places they could access computers like the nearby library and we also arranged for half an hour of open lab time.

Students were instructed to chose one image and write a paragraph about how it connected to their lives then added a description of the image on Pinterest. This experience really helped Nell find the value in using technology with her students. It also helped her feel more comfortable with at least trying out new tools.

In the past, I approached technology by having a prior understanding and knowledge of such. I would make a list of the different technology resources that I felt comfortable with. I would then use those technology tools to create a survey and ask my students what they were comfortable with. This allowed me to use platforms that I was comfortable with and in the process, I would learn what were my student's strengths and weaknesses. After watching Cynthia's and Nell's videos, I have learned that sometimes you have to try something new with your students and used that opportunity as a learning experience. I also learned that the technology that you are most comfortable with may not be the best for your student's learning. With the guidance provided In this model, I have decided to explore new technology tools with my students and use this as an opportunity to learn about them with my students. This will help everyone in the classroom (myself included) learn about the technology tool and how to use it effectively in their own teaching practices.

One type of technology that I would use in the educational context is the multimodal communication tools because it gives me the opportunity to use Youtube and Vimeo with my students'. I really enjoy using these platforms to make videos because it allows my students to watch the videos at their own convenience.  These technology tools also allow them to learn the concepts in a way that supports their learning styles.

• Identify the technology tool the instructor used. Was the instructor comfortable using the tool? If not, what was the instructor’s plan for understanding the tool?  Cynthia Bell used smartphones to view Khan Academy videos on YouTube, Bitly to shorten URLs, and QR Codes.
  • Did the tool selected meet the students’ existing technology skills? If not, what was the plan for teaching the students how to use the technology tool? The tools selected met the students existing technology skills because many of them had taken the QR Code sheet home and shown their family and friends how to scan a QR Code, and had watched the video again. Several students also used their smartphones to do their homework assignments.
  • Did the technology tool selected improve instruction and/or deepen student learning? How? The tool deepened the student's excitement around using the QR Code and extended the lesson outside of class time, as students took the QR Codes home and showed other people how to use them--and ended up watching the video again. Using their smartphones in class for learning helped some students see that the smartphone could be used to gather information.
  • Was this technology tool the best choice to implement the teaching strategies of the unit or lesson? What other technology tools could the instructor have selected to use? Yes, the instruction could have also used Youtube as an alternative technology tool.
  • Identify the technology tool the instructor used. Was the instructor comfortable using the tool? If not, what was the instructor’s plan for understanding the tool? Nell Eckersley used student's email addresses and login credentials.
  • Did the tool selected meet the students’ existing technology skills? If not, what was the plan for teaching the students how to use the technology tool? Yes, the tool selected met the students existing technology skills because they were familiar with using their email accounts. The instructor signed up for the computer lab and to identify which students had email addresses.
  • Did the technology tool selected improve instruction and/or deepen student learning? How? This process improved instruction because It turned out that some of the students who had an email address didn't know how to access them from a public computer. The instructor used this to deepen students learning by helping them get email addresses, and partnering them with experts to get extra coaching so that everyone use their email address to send off their letters as emails.
  • Was this technology tool the best choice to implement the teaching strategies of the unit or lesson? What other technology tools could the instructor have selected to use? I think that this was a great tool to send off letters to the Mayor because it was fast and effective. Creating email addresses for the students allows them to use the tool on a daily basis so that they can communicate with the world via email.
  • Hello! My name is Amanda Kennedy. I am currently in my eighth year of teaching Adult Education, primarily to English Language Learners, at Fort Smith Adult Education Center in Fort Smith, Arkansas. I have a BS in History and a M.Ed. in Adult and Lifelong Learning.
  • What technology devices do your students have access to? What are some of the everyday tasks your students are using these technology devices to accomplish?
    • My classroom is set up with a Smartboard, which I use every morning to "flip the classroom" via YouTube videos aligned with my lesson plans. The vast majority of my students also have smart phones. They may, however, not have data.
  • After listening to the two teacher reflections from Cynthia Bell and Nell Eckersley, consider the following: How have you approached technology in the past? With the guidelines provided in this module, what new or additional considerations will you build into your unit or lesson planning process to more effectively integrate technology into your classroom?
    • I have generally used technology as a tool, not the center of my instruction. However, when I decided I wanted to flip my classroom, I had to start at the beginning. I created a Scope and Sequence of objectives and what I wanted students to learn. THEN, I looked at creating lesson materials, YouTube videos, and supplemental technology for practice.
  • After reviewing the printable table of categorized technology tools used in an educational context, reflect on the following: Were there tools that were mentioned that you would like to explore? Did you learn about new ways of using existing tools? How can one tool be repurposed to meet another need?
    • ​​​​​​​I feel like I would like to delve deeper into my students, as adult learners, using G Suites to collaborate in the classroom. This is a great opportunity for my intermediate and advance ELLs to learn skills for the 21st century in addition to building upon the topics.

Hello,

I'm Deborah Wood a survivor---of teaching virtual lessons during this Covid season.

My main job is teaching elementary students virtually.

some of my students use their laptops or ipads for class.

We meet on the TEAMS platform.

Next semester I look forward to teaching Adult Ed students online.

Creative ways to integrate technology in class project-recipes for class cookbook

1. Have students to type recipes on the computer and send in an email to classmates or teacher

2. Text recipes to classmates or class on a texting platform

3. Video tape themselves making the dish as they write down the ingredients and directions

4. make a TicToK video on how to make the recipe and the ingredients.

5. Set up an online portal like Google Docs and students write their recipes on it.

Pinetrest Lessson

The Pinetrest lesson was a great activity for getting students to work cooperatively as well as use a technology medium to complete the activity.  Furthermore, students were engaged and found value in the lesson to the point where they put more effort into completing the project going above and beyond what was asked.

How have you approached technology in the past?   What new or additional considerations will you build into your lesson plan or unit?

Past: The technology approach I used was mostly driven by me the teacher.  I presented lessons on a Smart Board

or the computer.  I did not provide opportunities for my students to use the various technology resourses like Facebook, Pinetrest, Twitter, Tik Toc.

Future: I will plan lessons that allow my students to go online or create products, writings in a blog format and start a Pinetrest board for us to share.  Of course Mentimeter and Kahoot are also good resources to use.

Technology tools I would like to explore.

Yes... This is 2020 and some of the articles presented are from the early 2000's.

However, I would like to explore using Google Docs and more of the Google products.

I frequently use PowerPoint for my presentations when someone mentioned to me that that is passe.

The new sharing tool is Google Docs.  So I need to get with 2020 and learn how to use Google Docs.

Hi Deborah,

Google Docs really are a great set of tools for us these days. 

If you aren't already familiar with it, Google has put together over 100 lessons in their Applied Digital Skills lesson website.  These are free, video-based, online lessons on how to use various Google tools in a real life applications.  The lessons are a designed for various grade levels including adult learners, but I tend to ignore that filter as many of the lessons for K-12 are appropriate for adults, the tech is useful and the content can be change. You can check out the lessons under the Lesson tab without creating an account.  With an account (sign up as a teacher), you can create classes, invite students to the classes, assign lessons to classes, and track student work on the assigned lessons.  And you can use the lessons to learn how to use the tools yourself.  Creating If Then Stories with Google Slides taught me so much! 

Moving from PowerPoint to Google Slides is helpful mostly because Google Slides lives in the cloud and therefore is easy for both teachers and students to access and share, while PowerPoint usually requires access to the PowerPoint software and sending the PowerPoint file rather than just sending a link. 

During the move to remote teaching during the Pandemic, most teachers and students have really had to step into using technology.  At the Literacy Assistance Center, where I work, we've been curating tutorials for various tools useful for remote instruction: https://www.youtube.com/user/TheLACNYC/playlists.  We have also been adding resources to our website particularly on our Resource Blog 

best,

Nell

How do I plan to integrate my lesson with technology.

This course has been a mind opening experience for me.  I never realized that technology can be used in such a creative way to extend learning.

I plan to create a lesson communication lesson using email and creating email addresses.

This lesson resonates with me because I had a student who could not fulfill one of her dreams because she did not have an email address.  She brought the dilema to me; but I didn't know how to help her.  The email lessons would also be a helpful tool to communicate assignments as well as absences.  I could transmit the lessons via email and my students could still keep up with their work even though they would be absent from class.

Additionally, I think many of my students are not comfortable writing their thoughts down. So I would like to try the Google Docs writing activity where we could do a group writing assignment.

I will also use the cell phone's more to communicate with my students though texting.  Although I see a lesson where we discuss text vocabulary or language vs. writing for term papers.