Lesson plans and resources on the importance of vaccinations

I support ESL programming for Tyson Food's national network of ESL classes across the US.  We have large portions of immigrant and refugee workers who may be reticent about getting the COVID 19 vaccinations. We'd love to work this topic into our ESL lessons. Please share your ideas and resources. 

Comments

Hello Anson, and others, who want COVID-19 vaccine information for immigrants and refugees,

This is an important request, Anson, and the need is urgent, so I have reached out to several colleagues to see what information is available; I have good news. I understand that within a few days, colleagues in our field will have readied a webpage with links to a short, animated video in English and many other languages. The video provides simple, straightforward information for immigrants and refugees on the COVID-19 vaccine, and each language version of it is designed to be as culturally relevant as possible. I have seen a couple of versions of the video, one in English and one in Spanish, and I think they will be very useful. One of the colleagues or I will post information here as soon as the video page is ready. Stay tuned to LINCS English Language Acquisition group posts for more information about when you can access the video, and in which languages. 

I also hope others who may know of print, audio or video information on the Covid-19 vaccine designed for, or useful to, immigrants and refugees should let us know about it.

David J. Rosen

ESL/ESOL and other teaching Colleagues,

Thanks to Silja Kallenbach at World Education for a potentially useful resource for adult basic skills educators. TERC (in Cambridge, Massachusetts) has developed for SABES, (the System for Adult Basic Education Services, the Professional Development system in Massachusetts) Vaccines Lesson Materials at the Pre-ASE level covering the history of vaccines, science behind how they work, and risk calculation (probability, fractions, percents). Each lesson includes a lesson plan, PowerPoint slides, and a student packet. sabes.org/node/30536  

David J. Rosen

Colleagues,

Below is  a link to some of the COVID-19 vaccine short, animated, culturally-appropriate videos I mentioned. They have been developed by the Adult Literacy Research Center at Georgia State University, and are referred to as COVID-19 Vaccine Hesitancy Videos. These are easy to share; and the videos and other resources listed on this page are all free. More videos are being made in other languages, and will be posted soon as links on this page https://education.gsu.edu/research-outreach/alrc/adult-literacy-coronavirus-resource-links/

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

David J. Rosen

David, I know that these resources will be incredibly helpful to teachers and the learners we serve. I will be drawing from these materials in my own teaching. Thank you!

Take care, Susan Finn Miller

Moderator, English Language Acquisition

Hello colleagues, This week we will start a unit on COVID vaccines in my Integrated English Literacy and Civics Education (IELCE) class with ABE-level English learners. As everyone knows, there is a lot of confusion about the COVID vaccines. The learners in my class have safety concerns, and they are eager to learn more about these vaccines.  

I recently spent some time reviewing YouTube videos on this topic. The video I decided to use, COVID-19 Vaccine Safety: What You Need to Know (Updated) produced by Denver Health is almost 6 minutes long and was updated on January 27, 2021. This video has a transcript, which always makes me happy since I want students to read and study the transcript after viewing a video.

I also plan to use a video (1 and 1/2 minutes), How do the new mRNA vaccines for COVID-19 work?, to offer learners some information about the science behind these new vaccines. 

Let us know what you are hearing from learners about the COVID vaccines and how you are addressing the issue in your classroom.

Take care, Susan Finn Miller

Moderator, English Language Acquisition